Fucken hard drives!!!!!

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
My system drive went down. This makes 2 in the past 2 years. I suck.

:lol:

Luckily it's just a matter of buying a new one and doing a system restore learned from the first go around. I backup projects on an external and have an internal TB for the system and sample library backup.

Still FFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!

LOL I have the exact opposite experience with WD and Seagate.
Had about 10 drives in all my PCs.
7 Seagates and no failures.
1 WD and 1 failure.
The other 2 i don't know the brand because it was too long time ago.

Insane.. never had a WD or Seagate die, im still using a ~15 year old Barracuda in my mediabox(105 years of warranty left. :D).
Maxtors seem to die after a couple of weeks of use though. :lol:

Hard drives are like any other mechanical device. Just spinning wears them out. They also wear faster when they are not kept cool. So I try to make my system drive be in the slot that has the best cooling and invest in high volume cooling fans. Bear in mind that drive failure is like just like waiting for your car to eventually break down. It will happen but when? I suggest that when you are doing a system reinstall you install to a mirrored drive that you can pop into an external drive bay and when you install any new program or update boot to your backup system drive and update it too. That way even if your system drive goes down you are only a few minutes away from being back up and running.

Oh that requires that you smartly put all your data onto a separate drive but you do this anyway. Right?

I had a fun encounter with a Seagate expansion 1TB the other day...

Since Seagate decide to incorporate Windows only powersaving techniques that involve shutting the drive down after 10mins idle causing an ugly Linux umount due to not making this "Feature" universal... This caused me issues with my server due to it not being constant access but rather as a backup solution for files and operating system images.. constant fscking was not ideal...

Oh, the silly pricks also decided to make a case you couldn't access...

So, with bad morning attitude and a big screwdriver, I tunneled into the case, extracted the drive and now its a nice Internal 1TB storage solution.

The only way I've been able to keep my WDs up and going is to completely reformat them first thing and only plug them in when needed. When cash allows, I always spring for LaCies. Best external hard drives I've used.

I always keep Time Machine running on my OS drive.. I just bought a new 1.5TB to use as a backup since my 500GB is now full. I have backups out the ass, one for OS, and two for photo backups, one that is inside the computer and an external that is locked in a drawer.