FUCKING INTERESTING TOPIC!!!!

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
This topic is interesting.

wikipedia said:
While many believe that spaghetti (or even pasta in some accounts) originated in China (where long thin noodles have a lengthy history), some now assert that the reading of a lost Marco Polo manuscript which lead to this belief, was in fact an inaccurate Latin translation. Historically people in Italy ate pasta in the form of gnocchi-like dumplings – pasta fresca eaten as soon as it was prepared. It has now been asserted that the Arabs who populated Southern Italy (around the 12th Century) were the first to develop the innovation of working pasta from grain into thin long forms, capable of being dried out and stored for months or years prior to consumption (see Peter Robb's Midnight in Sicily pp 94-96 for details).

You did not know this before and now you do.

This thread is now about other random interesting facts. Go.

here's my contribution

1. It is impossible to lick your elbow.

2. A crocodile can't stick its tongue out.

3. A shrimp's heart is in its head.

4. In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

5. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

6. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

7. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

8. Horses can't vomit.

9. Sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

10. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.

11. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

12. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

13. If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

14. In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

15. A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

16. 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

17. Most lipstick contains fish scales.

18. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

19. Over 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.

*last one is gay*

No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

They disproved that on an episode of mythbusters.

- "Stewardesses" is the longest word that can be typed with the left hand.
- Goldfish turn white in the dark.
- The first pillows were made out of stone.
- A human can survive for two weeks without food, but only for two days without water.

I can type more than Stewardesses with my left hand, but I cheat and reach over to the "right hand side" of the keyboard. I'm left handed so I'm at 40ish WPM with just my left hand, 87 with both.

i found this

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."

English is not my native language so i cant prove that one, but geez, i cant believe that. there must be one!
what if EMINEM is doing his improv and he starts his rhyme with...

"yo yo yo, look at me, i've been sober for a month..."

will he colapse ?

I've tried to fold a piece of paper 7 times, and it seemed impossible. I also heard that a duck's quack DOES have an echo.

I'm gonna contribute random facts without actually looking anything up on the net... just to add some fun to it.

- It is possible to travel to the future (somewhat). If you were to travel into space at a really high speed (light-speed being the fastest), and then return to earth, everything would have aged more than you did.

- Most dreams only last about 10 minutes, even though some of them feel like they take place over an entire day, or more.

- No word in the English language rhymes with "Orange" either.

- The sexiest person alive is myself.

""yo yo yo, look at me, i've been sober for a month..."

will he colapse ?" LOL!

Also, I saw this a while ago and thought it was one of the most interesting videos of all time, lol. It's a video of leopard slugs mating, and I never thought there'd be something this awesome done by nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
(...)

- It is possible to travel to the future (somewhat). If you were to travel into space at a really high speed (light-speed being the fastest), and then return to earth, everything would have aged more than you did.

(...)

Actually you can never reach the speed of light. Your mass would begin to increase infinitely, requiring infinite energy to get you there. C (speed of light) in english units is about 670,616,629 MPH. As you approach this speed (but never matching it!) all other stationary reference points would begin to observe the strange effects of relativity on you ( Time dilation, increase mass, squished appearance). If you travel say 650,000,000 MPH in reference to Earth every one second on Earth will equal .2460 seconds in your time( If I did the math correctly).

Sorry for that, I couldn't pass it up.:)

This was one of Michaels

5. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

- Not the only ones, there is also the Bonobo Monkey:

Sexual intercourse plays a major role in Bonobo society, being used as a greeting, a means of conflict resolution and post-conflict reconciliation, and as favors traded by the females in exchange for food. Bonobos are the only non-human apes to have been observed engaging in all of the following sexual activities: face-to-face genital sex (most frequently female-female, then male-female and male-male), tongue kissing, and oral sex. In scientific literature, the female-female sex is often referred to as GG rubbing or genital-genital rubbing, while male-male sex is sometimes referred to as penis fencing.

Sexual activity happens within the immediate family as well as outside it, and often involves adults and children, even infants. Bonobos do not form permanent relationships with individual partners. They also do not seem to discriminate in their sexual behavior by gender or age, with the possible exception of sexual intercourse between mothers and their adult sons; some observers believe these pairings are taboo. When Bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitement will usually lead to communal sexual activity, presumably decreasing tension and allowing for peaceful feeding.

Bonobo males frequently engage in various forms of male-male genital sex (frot). One form has two males hang from a tree limb face-to-face while "penis fencing". Frot may also occur where two males rub their penises together while in missionary position. A special form of frot called "rump rubbing" occurs to express reconciliation between two males after a conflict, where they stand back-to-back and rub their scrotal sacs together.

Bonobo females also engage in female-female genital sex (tribadism) to socially bond with each other, thus forming a female nucleus of Bonobo society. The bonding between females allows them to dominate Bonobo society - although male Bonobos are individually stronger, they cannot stand alone against a united group of females. Adolescent females often leave their native community to join another community. Sexual bonding with other females establishes the new females as members of the group. This migration mixes the Bonobo gene pools, providing genetic diversity.

.. sounds like modern day human society..