Fuel - "Natural Selection"

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I am a little embarrassed after being on hiatus for a while, then coming in here praising a radio band, but this CD kicks too much ass not to share. If you exclude The Dolls and Evanescence, I have never written about a radio friendly band in her so please don't think I am trying to poison your minds with garbage....

I bought Fuel's "Something Like Human" back in 2000 because I liked "Hemorrhage" and "Innocent" but the CD was pretty typical for a radio rock band. It had three or four good songs on it and a bunch of filler. I haven't listened to it in quite a while. I figured I was done with this band.
Fortunately for me, I stumbled on a review of "Natural Selection" and the dude was blown away by this CD. I don't normally "trust" reviews because I don't have very typical tastes, but I read a few more and decided to give it a chance and bought the CD. The music isn't earth shattering and doesn't sound completely unlike Staind or any other hard rock radio bands, but what sets this apart is the cover to cover quality. Don't get me wrong, this Fuel CD will kick you in the teeth in spots and it has a great deal of 80's retro feel to it. I just don't want to make people think this CD is something it is not. Excluding Evanescence "Fallen," this is the best popular music CD I have ever bought.

Here is a review:

http://www.epinions.com/content_119452503684

Bryant

No need to worry, I have a copy of that somewhere too. I must admit for a radio band that record is great. I like the guitar tones they got on that one. I can't even remember who the hell did that record. Was it that guy Lord something or other? I think he's the guy. He's done some of Kenny Wayne Shepherd's records. Anyway, how about the track on that disv Jesus or A Gun? I haven't seen or heard their new one. I considered them a flash in the pan. Kinda like the first Buckcherry disc.
Here's one to check out Lacuna Coil, it's this kinda pop/metal hybrid. I can describe it. Well worth checking out. I bought their Coma Lies disc a while back, very good "mood music." I wouldn't play "Enya" but would play this!

sixxswine said:
No need to worry, I have a copy of that somewhere too. I must admit for a radio band that record is great. I like the guitar tones they got on that one. I can't even remember who the hell did that record. Was it that guy Lord something or other? I think he's the guy. He's done some of Kenny Wayne Shepherd's records. Anyway, how about the track on that disv Jesus or A Gun? I haven't seen or heard their new one. I considered them a flash in the pan. Kinda like the first Buckcherry disc.

You must be talking about the 1998 release "Sunburn." I have "Something Like Human" which was a 2000 release. Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" is on that one. It's a great song, but the disc is just so-so. The new one, I am talking about is "Natural Selection" and it will drop kick you in the head. This disc is a must buy. I couldn't be more happy with a disc, let alone a radio-rock band release.

Here's one to check out Lacuna Coil, it's this kinda pop/metal hybrid.

I have Unleashed Memories. I will purchase Conalies as well. I had all the songs on MP3.

I can describe it. Well worth checking out. I bought their Coma Lies disc a while back, very good "mood music." I wouldn't play "Enya" but would play this

Yeah it is moody weird stuff, but definitely cool. On UM, they get into some of that beauty and beast vocals on 1.19 (track 6) It's pretty cool though I normally hate death vocals.

Bryant