NWOBHM selection!

Wyvern said:
Wrong sorry. Motorhead's debut "On Parole" is from 1975 (September) but wasn't released until 1980 by Cleopatra Records to cash on the band success after had been shelved by United Artists originally. Anyway since Lemmy wasn't thrilled with the result he revamped th eband and the album in the self-titled debut "Motorhead" from 1977, by 1979 they were releasing "Overkill" their second album, and "Bomber" their third.

Judas Priest was formed in 1969, but their debut "Rockarolla" is from 1974.
Iron Maiden demo is 79, Saxon debut is 79, Def Leppard debut is 79-80. Quartz in considered NWOBHM but their debut is on 1977. Raven debut is 1980. Budgie consider by some part of the NWOBHM debut is from 1971 as ld as Nazareth or Thin Lizzy!

IMO you can consider truly NWOBHM any band with a debut in 1980 (or towards the end of 79) up to 1983, and the second wave from 1983-85.

Very nice post!

As for Motorhead, they are a band unto themselves. They blurred the lines, being accepted by metalheads, punks, and the underground. I think that they (along with Sabbath) were way ahead of their time. It's like nothing musically lead up to them, as if they had no influences, completely new sounds just popping into existence with those 2 bands.

Bryant said:
Yep can't forget about Lep.

I don't care for OTtN, but H&D was pretty kicking. I like the title track and "Let it Go."

Bryant
Actually, I'm a big fan of both albums. High N' Dry is the better of the two, but i say they both kick ass.

Greeno said:
Very nice post!

As for Motorhead, they are a band unto themselves. They blurred the lines, being accepted by metalheads, punks, and the underground. I think that they (along with Sabbath) were way ahead of their time. It's like nothing musically lead up to them, as if they had no influences, completely new sounds just popping into existence with those 2 bands.
Thanks :oops: . I agree with you, not only that did you know that also Thin Lizzy got a good acceptance in the punk community? Actually Phil Lynnot, Brian Downey, Johnny Rotten and Steve Jones (I believe) made a side project called The Greedy Bastards, some of their recordings are available in a special Phil Lynnot compilation which name I can't recall right now.

Wicked Child said:
Ok, my mistake, then. I retract my "HA". They barely missed it though. And Priest? Hell, i knew THAT! You're talkin' to a HUGE Priest fan, my friend!
Sorry didn't mean to lecture you. My friend Mario call me The Historian because I have this tendency to retain bits of info and dates, and I love to share it with people. Judas Priest rules! :wave:

Wyvern said:
Sorry didn't mean to lecture you. My friend Mario call me The Historian because I have this tendency to retain bits of info and dates, and I love to share it with people. Judas Priest rules! :wave:
I can understand very well. I'm usually the same way, but, judging from this Motorhead fiasco, I do make mistakes. Besides, I can forgive you, you're a Priest fan! I can't stay mad at a fellow Priesthead! And i love your sig quote. Helloween rules!

Wicked Child said:
Actually, I'm a big fan of both albums. High N' Dry is the better of the two, but i say they both kick ass.
I don't dislike OTtN, but Lep seemed to be changing from a "hard rock" band to a "metal" band between the two to my ears.

Bryant

Wyvern said:
Judas Priest was formed in 1969, but their debut "Rockarolla" is from 1974.
Iron Maiden demo is 79, Saxon debut is 79, Def Leppard debut is 79-80. Quartz in considered NWOBHM but their debut is on 1977. Raven debut is 1980. Budgie consider by some part of the NWOBHM debut is from 1971 as ld as Nazareth or Thin Lizzy!

IMO you can consider truly NWOBHM any band with a debut in 1980 (or towards the end of 79) up to 1983, and the second wave from 1983-85.
In this sense you could wonder if Maiden count as NWOBHM seeing how they were formed at the end of 1975 ^_^ but as Wyvern put it, a debut in '79-'80 (I personally class '81 as well, after that it's not really a New Wave any more :loco: ) really hacks it. Of course the reason the 'movement' was given a name in the first place was because of all these bands breaking out around the same time. Some of them had been hacking away for years before but because they broke at that time we put 'em into that category. In that sense, Motorhead and Priest are way out!

Wicked Child said:
I can understand very well. I'm usually the same way, but, judging from this Motorhead fiasco, I do make mistakes. Besides, I can forgive you, you're a Priest fan! I can't stay mad at a fellow Priesthead! And i love your sig quote. Helloween rules!
Thanks for your kind words. I made mistakes all the time, to err is human to forgive is metalheadish :tickled: .

How not to love Judas Priest? I still remember in my house back in early 84 when a friend came from USA with "Screaming For Vengeance" and "Defenders Of The Faith" original tapes. We were so crazy about the stuff, that's when I fell absolutely in love with JP. After that I was chasing their albums like crazy (very difficult at the time in my country).
Of course I was first in line for the re-issues of CBS, and the first album I bought when I came to USA was "Demolition" (I know not their finest moment, but a fan is a fan :p ).

Helloween rules too, I skipped a couple of their albums and I'm still a bit dissapointed with RDCE, but I hope the pumpkins rise their ugly head again next time.

I just got Warfare compilation and this maybe NWOBHM but is definitively away from Iron Maiden, Saxon or Praying Mantis, still... :headbang:

Wyvern said:
Thanks for your kind words. I made mistakes all the time, to err is human to forgive is metalheadish :tickled: .

How not to love Judas Priest? I still remember in my house back in early 84 when a friend came from USA with "Screaming For Vengeance" and "Defenders Of The Faith" original tapes. We were so crazy about the stuff, that's when I fell absolutely in love with JP. After that I was chasing their albums like crazy (very difficult at the time in my country).
Of course I was first in line for the re-issues of CBS, and the first album I bought when I came to USA was "Demolition" (I know not their finest moment, but a fan is a fan :p ).

Helloween rules too, I skipped a couple of their albums and I'm still a bit dissapointed with RDCE, but I hope the pumpkins rise their ugly head again next time.

I just got Warfare compilation and this maybe NWOBHM but is definitively away from Iron Maiden, Saxon or Praying Mantis, still... :headbang:
The moment that made me a Priest fan, was 3 years ago, I heard the entire Screaming For Vengence album on the radio. It was all uphill from there. And don't worry about "Demolition", there are actually some pretty solid songs in there. Now, HELLOWEEN was based on an impulse buy. I liked the cover art for the two Keeper albums, so i bought them. And voila! They have a new fan! And actually, i loved RDCE very much! One of their strongest albums, if you ask me.
And i would be much adept in the NWOBHM ,had the more obscure bands not be so...well, obscure. But for what i know , i think i'm doing pretty damn good.

Wicked Child said:
The moment that made me a Priest fan, was 3 years ago, I heard the entire Screaming For Vengence album on the radio. It was all uphill from there. And don't worry about "Demolition", there are actually some pretty solid songs in there. Now, HELLOWEEN was based on an impulse buy. I liked the cover art for the two Keeper albums, so i bought them. And voila! They have a new fan! And actually, i loved RDCE very much! One of their strongest albums, if you ask me.
And i would be much adept in the NWOBHM ,had the more obscure bands not be so...well, obscure. But for what i know , i think i'm doing pretty damn good.
I started fairly recently with most of my NWOBHM. Before that was only Iron Maiden, Saxon and Def Leppard (first three albums). In the last year I have purchased Demon, Angel Witch, Avenger, Jaguar, Blitzkrieg, Warfare, Tank, Samson, Praying Mantis, Tygers Of Pang Tang, Witchfinder General, Satan, Witchfynde. Not too difficult to get nost of them.

I like Helloween Keepers and the Deris era with the dissapoitment I tlaked before of RDCE. I would have prefer them to continue in "The Dark Ride" vein or better yet, their finest moment of their new albums "The Time Of The Oath".

Did you followed Halford on Fight and Halford? Did you have Glenn Tipton "Baptizm Of Fire" album?

Wyvern said:
I started fairly recently with most of my NWOBHM. Before that was only Iron Maiden, Saxon and Def Leppard (first three albums). In the last year I have purchased Demon, Angel Witch, Avenger, Jaguar, Blitzkrieg, Warfare, Tank, Samson, Praying Mantis, Tygers Of Pang Tang, Witchfinder General, Satan, Witchfynde. Not too difficult to get nost of them.

I like Helloween Keepers and the Deris era with the dissapoitment I tlaked before of RDCE. I would have prefer them to continue in "The Dark Ride" vein or better yet, their finest moment of their new albums "The Time Of The Oath".

Did you followed Halford on Fight and Halford? Did you have Glenn Tipton "Baptizm Of Fire" album?
I'd love to see them go more into the Dark Ride direction, but i knew they weren't. So, i prepared myself for a happier album. I guess that's why i wasn't disappointed with it. I have albums of Diamond Head, Def Lep, Maiden, Samson and Angel Witch, so i'm on my way to being a deeper NWOBHM fan! And yeh, i like Fight, and i have both Halford albums, minus the live album though. Rob is my favorite singer ever, so i will follow him into any band or career endevour he may embark on.

On 2nd of Jan 1979 when I was born in massive cold snow falls London England UK with Angel Witch album debut...

NWOBHM 1979~1984 I'd say...

Marshall Law and Wolvesbane has BLOOD of NWOBHM.

Wicked Child said:
And yeh, i like Fight, and i have both Halford albums, minus the live album though.
Give that a chance, is one of those few live albums that worth because it has songs not available in other albums, plus a great atmosphere.

Rob is my favorite singer ever, so i will follow him into any band or career endevour he may embark on.
Even Two? o_O

Wyvern said:
Give that a chance, is one of those few live albums that worth because it has songs not available in other albums, plus a great atmosphere.
yeah a great atmosphere done in the studio :p
I still like it though, it has one of the best performances ever on "Beyond the Realms of Death"...

Fangface said:
yeah a great atmosphere done in the studio :p
I still like it though, it has one of the best performances ever on "Beyond the Realms of Death"...
Good interesting point, can we trust anymore that a live album is really live (unless is a bootleg)?
errrr.gif

Wyvern said:

Even Two? o_O
Yes, i even followed him to Two. Wish i didn't though....:err:

And yeh, i wanna get Live Insurrection, but i just don't have the money.

Wyvern said:
Good interesting point, can we trust anymore that a live album is really live (unless is a bootleg)?
errrr.gif
Nowadays I don't think there are any "true" live albums, but even Live After Death and Unleashed in the East had parts re-recorded in the studio, so...

In a way it's a good thing, otherwise we would get the impression to buy a fuckin' bootleg! But sometimes it's too much... take a look at the latest Annihilator live album : there's not a single "real" full song, it's copy/paste all the way.
And on Live Insurrection there are a few tracks recorded during sound-checks... :)