Praying Mantis...any fans???

OK, lets put all this to rest. The new Witchfinder General is merely OK, it has some good throwback tones, but yes, Zeeb Parkes, original vocalist (and real name anonymous) has long been MIA. As for Praying Mantis, get Time Tells No Lies and your set. Tygers of Pan Tang, get Wild Cat and the phenomenal Spellbound and your set. Angel Witch s/t rules, a no-brainer, as well as Cloven Hoof's debut. Raven's Wiped Out and All For One are NWOBHM necessities, and Saxon for about 75% of the catalog rules. As for Pagan Altar, there isn't a bad release out there, get them all, now, or burn in hell!

Because of this thread I took some Praying Mantis to the gym today, what a cardio session! :headbang:

Witchfinder General...yeah Jasonic...I caved in and I actually like most of thier stuff but the lastest disc is one of the worst things ever.

Really? I picked up that album and think it's really damn good. While they've always been sort of a doom band, they weren't full-fledged doom. The new album on the other hand is, so if you don't like that genre I can understand I suppose but I thought it was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but no matter what sub genres get more of a widespread push (IE - pagan, folk, black, death, etc), trad metal always gets the shaft!
Oh well.

I think this is mostly the case over here in the US. Over in Europe and other territories, traditional metal seems better received, i.e. Saxon and Motorhead are huge over there, but are more cult bands over here. Considering, that they are one of the top acts of that genre, makes it even harder for there to be any traditional metal releases or tours here, unless it's Priest or Maiden really.

The problem here is that Metalcore, hardcore and at a time, Nu Metal was pushed here, which decimated the popularity of traditional metal. I think if given the right promotion and releases, these bands could be successful but unfortunately they will never be given a proper push. I think a lot of metal fans don't even know about a lot of these bands. I for one, dig deep to find good bands like that but not everyone has the time or even knows how to go about searching for them, and at the end of the day, if they don't have proper releases, they'll cost you a pretty penny for the imports.

yeah..now I need to track down more of thier stuff. it stinks...lots of this older NWOBHM is so hard to get....hopefully some labels will start repressing this stuff.

Well believe it or not actually they only have one truly NWOBHM material, their debut. They become stalled and then reunited for a concert for the tenth anniverssary of the NWOBHM movement, there Dennis Stratton (ex-Maiden) and Paul DiAnno (ex-Maiden) jint the Troy brothers. Dennis decided to stay after that with the band but Paul declined (bad move maybe IMO, his career never went anywhere). Then the material the band made was more melodic metal towards the hard rock/AOR they play today.

Check their discography here: http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=praying+mantis. The albums really hard to get are from "Predator In Disguise" to "Forever In Time", "Nowhere To Hide" to "Sanctuary" are on Forntier Records which is easy availbale on sellers online.

just getting those and the zillion other disc is the problem.

Welcome to wonderful hell of the collector's world. Been living there for the last 10 years at least. Before that I was alright with the new releases, now that I'm looking for lots of old stuff is just :zombie: and banging my head against a brick wall cursing myself for not having bought them in due time :cry:.

Welcome to wonderful hell of the collector's world. Been living there for the last 10 years at least. Before that I was alright with the new releases, now that I'm looking for lots of old stuff is just :zombie: and banging my head against a brick wall cursing myself for not having bought them in due time :cry:.

I have been living there for 20 years. Still never enough time to listen and get everything I want. It is sad.

I have been living there for 20 years. Still never enough time to listen and get everything I want. It is sad.

Yes the time factor (plus money of course) is a main one. On Saturday night I was talking with friends at home about that. When I started with metal back in '83 I liked 4-5 bands top. So I have few albums and all the time in the world to get acquainted with them.

Nowdays there's so much appealing music coming out not to mention revisiting bands I didn't had the chance before, that I seldom enjoy an album the way it should be. Sad indeed :cry:

I think this is mostly the case over here in the US. Over in Europe and other territories, traditional metal seems better received,

Yes, absolutely! I was speaking primarily about here in N America.

Bob (Diabolik) and I always talk about how much of a shame it is that if we wanted to see our favorite American bands, we would have to travel overseas!

Well believe it or not actually they only have one truly NWOBHM material, their debut. They become stalled and then reunited for a concert for the tenth anniverssary of the NWOBHM movement, there Dennis Stratton (ex-Maiden) and Paul DiAnno (ex-Maiden) jint the Troy brothers. Dennis decided to stay after that with the band but Paul declined (bad move maybe IMO, his career never went anywhere). Then the material the band made was more melodic metal towards the hard rock/AOR they play today.

Check their discography here: http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=praying+mantis. The albums really hard to get are from "Predator In Disguise" to "Forever In Time", "Nowhere To Hide" to "Sanctuary" are on Forntier Records which is easy availbale on sellers online.

Forever in Time was my fave of them, until they released this year's Sanctuary, which is their best IMO. The new singer is excellent, and finally they put back some of the NWOBHM heavier style in some songs.

Forever in Time was my fave of them, until they released this year's Sanctuary, which is their best IMO. The new singer is excellent, and finally they put back some of the NWOBHM heavier style in some songs.

You think so? I find the new one very solid overall, still FIT and NTH have some of my favorite songs.

Yes, absolutely! I was speaking primarily about here in N America.

Bob (Diabolik) and I always talk about how much of a shame it is that if we wanted to see our favorite American bands, we would have to travel overseas!

Quite ironic isn't it? Sort of like how Kamelot and Symphony X were in the early days. Although, even though they've gotten more popular here, it's nothing compare to overseas.