Any "new" Old School releases worth checking out?

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
You all picked up any good new release from some Classic/Oldie Metal groups of late? Looking to check some out.

I picked up the Saxon and Praying Mantis discs which are both very solid. Saxon, they do what they do - so if you like them it's worth the purchase. Praying Mantis was a complete surprise with how good it is. Top 5 disc for me this year so far.

Reactions: Wyvern
Satan - "Atom By Atom" (2015): not as solid as the comeback "Life Sentence" but still decent metal from these veterans.

Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down" (2015): I don´t like one song, but the rest of the album is quite enjoyable, much in the vein of the excellent "La Raza"

Killers - "Le Baisert De La Mort" (2015): these French veterans had continued (with a couple of small hiatuses) to deliver their mix of speed/traditional metal since 1985.

Michael Schenker's Temple Of Rock (2015): the new incarnation of MSG brought the rhythm base of Franz Bucholz/Hermann Rarebell, so it was a winner form inception. A great album, full of contagious melodies, strong songs, and great musicianship. Highly recommended.

Black Star Riders - "The Killer Instinct" (2015): if you can consider them the inheritors of Thin Lizzy, then you have it! A really good album, full of songs that are so TL that hurts.

Battleaxe - "Heavy Metal Sanctuary" (2014): one hell of a comeback, with a kicking ass album beyond the call of duty. Highly recommended.

Riot V - "Unleash The Fire" (2014): consider them the successor of Riot or not, they do deliver in this album. Good follow-up to "Immortal Soul" and the memory of Mark Reale.

Jaguar - "Metal X" (2014): the Brits came back with a not very interesting album, is cohesive but on average dull.

Saracen - "Redemption" (2014): another NWOBHM band that continues to bring albums to the light, not as great as "Marilyn" but still a good melodic metal album.

Nazareth - "Rock'N'Roll Telephone" (2014): the final record of Dan Macafferty is pretty solid considering the age of these guys. Nice solid songs, some not as good, but worth the money if only for 'God Of The Mountain'.

Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" (2014) : :D

Also in the "new bands with old sound", I have to recommend undoubtedly Kadavar - "Berlin" (2015), Night Demon - "Curse Of The Damned" (2015), The Dagger - "The Dagger" (2014), Monument - "Renegades" (2014).

Reactions: Hawk and MetalAges
W.A.S.P. - Golgotha
May not be as good as Babylon and Dominator, but I liked it though.

Annihilator - Suicide Society
What could go wrong when Jeff is handling the vocals? :cool:

Toto - XIV
Although that Toto isn't really metal - They're is a classic band and this is a damn good album, I decided to put this here. :D

Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
One of my albums of the year. Lots of really good melodies there.

Queensryche's latest is one of my favorites of the year. The title track, Hellfire and Bulletproof are the standouts for me.

Stryper's latest disc is very good. Old school vibe.

Def Leppard's new disc had some great old school-sounding tracks. Try the song Dangerous.

Other than that, honestly, this year I've been listening to a ton of Japanese metal. Not a whole lot has come out that's really grabbed me beyond 7-8 discs. BTW, if you're looking for some great Japanese metal bands, try Onmyouza or Siam Shade (among many others!)

Absolutely fantastic. Been enjoying that one all year long.

Although I knew about Blind Guardian, of course, it was only this year that I finally took the time to check them out with any great attention. On a whim I just bought 'Beyond the Red Mirror' and I was quickly hooked. I've since bought the back catalogue as far back as 'Imaginations from the Otherside', but I'll keep going as everything I've got so far is amazing.

It's actually pretty incredible to me to realise that I have been living my life pretty steeped in 'metal' for the last 25 years and only now has BG clicked for me. Makes me wonder what else is out there that I'll one day discover that has really been there all along.

Don't go there, the pit has no bottom :D

hahaha, that's true. Although at the same time I check out new bands all the time and very rarely get the obsession and curiosity that I used to. That's why Blind Guardian was such a surprise. I just reached a time in my life where they suddenly made sense. Cause I'm getting old I suppose.

Reactions: MetalAges
I just reached a time in my life where they suddenly made sense. Cause I'm getting old I suppose.

Story of most of us I guess (at least it is for me). I was late for DP and Rainbow, I was late for thrash, I was late for progressive rock, and I started with some bands probably taken for granted by everybody in the last couple of years: Kansas, Styx, Le Orme, PFM, Tysondog, Banco, Chastain, Jameson Raid, Bleak House, Nektar, Slammer, Gary Moore, and more.

I do enjoy a lot of new bands specially when they keep a traditional sound.

Story of most of us I guess (at least it is for me). I was late for DP and Rainbow,

I do enjoy a lot of new bands specially when they keep a traditional sound.

Last year I really only discovered Whitesnake and got into them in a big way if you can believe that. Same with Dio. I think I'm digging myself a big hole here by admitting all these very 'false' behaviours (getting into Whitesnake at all, and being very late to get into Dio) hahahaha.

And yeah, a lot of the newer bands turn me off a bit as I find the overall sound to be a little generic these days. Drums and guitars are all so... synthetic or something. I love a good production, but I guess when all the bands tend to use the same computer programs you tend to get generic 'quality' without the nuances of individual studios.

I've had a bit of a reaction about modern technology in the last year or so, hence me leaving mainstream social media etc. Obviously this is technology too. But for me it's all a bit... shallow and ephemeral.

Last year I really only discovered Whitesnake and got into them in a big way if you can believe that. Same with Dio. I think I'm digging myself a big hole here by admitting all these very 'false' behaviours (getting into Whitesnake at all, and being very late to get into Dio) hahahaha.

I got into Whitesnake a few years back too, but I stopped at "Slide It In". Love Rainbow and Black Sabbath with Dio, but not a fan of his solo work (I was more many years ago), even if I saw him live twice. Some day I may look for a compilation of the songs I like the most (mainly from the first three albums).