Praying Mantis...any fans???

Bob (Diabolik) and I always talk about how much of a shame it is that if we wanted to see our favorite American bands, we would have to travel overseas!

I don't live in USA but to me is basically the same. Festivals like KIT and HOA have drawn reunions and many American bands I would have lot to see live. But they don't tour the States, they go to Germany :loco:

I don't live in USA but to me is basically the same. Festivals like KIT and HOA have drawn reunions and many American bands I would have lot to see live. But they don't tour the States, they go to Germany :loco:

Yep. Take OMEN.
I couldn't even take a wild guess as to the last time they played a show in the States. Maybe they have and I wasn't aware of it or whatever.

Even a more popular band like JAG PANZER. Thier last proper tour was supporting Helloween, back in 2003. I think they may have played a couple local gigs since then.

Yep. Take OMEN.

That's one of the bands I had in mind in my last post. Also Abattoir reunited for KIT a couple of years ago, but never play in USA. Illogical isn't it? :err:

figure I will resurrect this thread to mention some other bands worth checking out.....

Tytan.....features ex-Angel Witch.

Tysondog

Savage Grace.........great stuff

Avenger

Dark Star

Jameson Raid....great band

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing i hate about discovering the oldies from the HM scene, is that their cds are more than likely out of print for at least 15 years..

that is the issue I am dealing with now....most of the Praying Mantis stuff goes for about 30 to 80 bucks on CD...some are 20. As of late some labels have rereleased some stuff. Just yesterday I picked up the Avenger, Tysonsdog, and Dark Star re issues. It is a pain. There are some great bands that thier CD's are impossible to get at a good price.

Yes! Their new cd got me interested in them so I went back on got all their older stuff, I totally dig these guys now!

From www.melodicrock.com :

"Come join the witch hunt and watch the legend burn:

Praying Mantis have just celebrated their 30th Anniversary. The band were a landmark in the founding's of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal era, appearing on the legendary Metal for Muthas 1 Compilation as well as touring alongside legends Iron Maiden and Angel Witch.
To celebrate their 30th Anniversary, the band are releasing their awesome never been released new single Witch Hunt as a Free Download for 5 days available via iTunes starting on the 29th October 2010. This will be followed by a Special Limited Edition EP in late November 2010 which will include a number of their classic tracks!
Song stream: www.trendxl.de/praying-mantis-witch-hunt. More info: www.praying-mantis.com / www.rockngrowl.com. "

Last edited by a moderator:
via www.melodicrock.com :

February the 21th 2011 will see Praying Mantis release. A special limited edition EP Metalmorphosis to celebrate 30 years since the release of their critically acclaimed Album “Time Tells No Lies” and include 5 songs some of which are from the original album re-recorded by the current Mantis line up.
The songs the band have chosen are: 1. Children of The Earth 2010 2. Praying Mantis 2010 3. Lovers to the Grave 2010 4. Panic in the Streets 2010 5. Captured City 2010.
All these tracks have been completely re-recorded.
Band: Chris Troy – Bass & Vocals, Tino Troy – Guitars & Vocals, Andy Burgess – Guitars, Benjy Reid – Drums, Mike Freeland – Vocals.
2009 saw the band release “Sanctuary” and the reviews and feedback have been fantastic. As a follow up and a celebration of 30 years of having the opportunity to perform, write and record the band have recorded “Metalmorphosis".
“Metalmorphosis” will be available via praying mantis's websites from 21st February 2011 as a special limited edition in a embossed Digipack.
Praying Mantis selling the EP “Metalmorphosis” at £5.50 + posting to order via the website and on iTunes. The EP will also be available at the live shows throughout 2011.
WebLinks: www.praying-mantis.com / www.myspace.com/prayingmantisrock.

prayingmantis-metalmorphosisep.jpg

"Time Tells No Lies" has been re-issued from Rock Candy Records. Available for a discounted price of £10.99 inclusive of free postage to anywhere in the world for the next two weeks ending on March 5.

"For many of us, the one good thing that came from punk rock was an explosive do-it-yourself attitude. It was this back to basics approach that fuelled the rise of the late 70s and early 80s hard rock explosion, a movement appropriately dubbed the NWOBHM. Amongst its principles were hugely successful acts such as Iron Maiden and Def Leppard, closely followed by the likes of Samson, Saxon and... Praying Mantis. Formed by brothers Tino and Chris Troy, Praying Mantis developed a reputation for delivering thinking man's metal. Indeed, they had the musical chops to rival and, at times, outshine the competition by utilising twin lead guitar, ambitious arrangements and multilayered harmonies; their songs were melodic yet intricately arranged and packed a powerful punch. In addition, like most acts from the NWOBHM school of hard knocks, they put in the necessary road-work taking their message to the metal masses. 'Time Tells No Lies', produced by Time Friese Green (Touch), engineered by Mike Shipley (Def Leppard) and housed in a stunning Rodney Matthews designed sleeve, was originally issued in 1980, and attracted highbrow praise positioning them as a band to definitely watch out for. Sure, in the end they didn't quite reach the peak of popularity attained by Maiden or Leppard, but their presence on the scene was not without significance and 'Time Tells No Lies' remains a gleaming testament to their talent.

24-bit remastering from original source tapes, five bonus tracks, 3,500 word essay about the making of the album, band involvement and additional photos spread out over a 16 page full colour booklet.

Track Listing: 1. Cheated 2. All Day And All Of The Night 3. Running For Tomorrow 4. Rich City Kids 5. Lovers To The Grave 6. Panic In The Streets 7. Beads Of Ebony 8. Flirting With Suicide 9. Children Of The Earth / Bonus Tracks: 10. Praying Mantis 11. High Roller 12. Thirty Pieces Of Silver 13. Flirting With Suicide – Live 14. Panic In The Streets – Live."

prayingmantis-timetellsnolies.jpg

"Time Tells No Lies" has been re-issued from Rock Candy Records. Available for a discounted price of £10.99 inclusive of free postage to anywhere in the world for the next two weeks ending on March 5.

"For many of us, the one good thing that came from punk rock was an explosive do-it-yourself attitude. It was this back to basics approach that fuelled the rise of the late 70s and early 80s hard rock explosion, a movement appropriately dubbed the NWOBHM. Amongst its principles were hugely successful acts such as Iron Maiden and Def Leppard, closely followed by the likes of Samson, Saxon and... Praying Mantis. Formed by brothers Tino and Chris Troy, Praying Mantis developed a reputation for delivering thinking man's metal. Indeed, they had the musical chops to rival and, at times, outshine the competition by utilising twin lead guitar, ambitious arrangements and multilayered harmonies; their songs were melodic yet intricately arranged and packed a powerful punch. In addition, like most acts from the NWOBHM school of hard knocks, they put in the necessary road-work taking their message to the metal masses. 'Time Tells No Lies', produced by Time Friese Green (Touch), engineered by Mike Shipley (Def Leppard) and housed in a stunning Rodney Matthews designed sleeve, was originally issued in 1980, and attracted highbrow praise positioning them as a band to definitely watch out for. Sure, in the end they didn't quite reach the peak of popularity attained by Maiden or Leppard, but their presence on the scene was not without significance and 'Time Tells No Lies' remains a gleaming testament to their talent.

24-bit remastering from original source tapes, five bonus tracks, 3,500 word essay about the making of the album, band involvement and additional photos spread out over a 16 page full colour booklet.

Track Listing: 1. Cheated 2. All Day And All Of The Night 3. Running For Tomorrow 4. Rich City Kids 5. Lovers To The Grave 6. Panic In The Streets 7. Beads Of Ebony 8. Flirting With Suicide 9. Children Of The Earth / Bonus Tracks: 10. Praying Mantis 11. High Roller 12. Thirty Pieces Of Silver 13. Flirting With Suicide – Live 14. Panic In The Streets – Live."

prayingmantis-timetellsnolies.jpg

FINALLY! Ordering now...