NWoBHM

Griffin-

Leather Rebel
Jul 7, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Hello, any New Wave of British Heave Metal fans left?
What are you favorites?
Ofcourse there's the old Maiden, Saxon and Priest but let's not forget:

Cloven Hoof
Blitzkrieg
Girlschool
Gaskin
Diamond Head
Jaguar
Praying Mantis
Crucifixion
Angelwitch
Venom
Tygers of Pan Tang

etc, etc.

I'm going to Keep it True in Germany in April, and I'm going to see Cloven Hoof, Blitzkrieg, Halloween, and Manilla Road. Great line-up, some heavy metal for old time's sake!

So, speak up! :D

NWOBHM is imo the most overrated gengre of metal.
While it has some musical monuments, the vast majority of it is mediocre
a top 10 NWOBHM list of bands for me would be :
Witchfynde
Witchfinder General
Venom
Pagan Altar
Raven
Diamond Head
Angelwitch
Tokyo Blade
Cloven Hoof (but i prefer their late albums)
Saxon

Griffin- said:
Hello, any New Wave of British Heave Metal fans left?

I'm a NWOBHM fan (along with allot of the guys around here). One of my favorite bands was Chateaux.

IOfTheStorm said:
NWOBHM is imo the most overrated gengre of metal.

I always felt the most overrated genre in metal was death/black metal. Just my opinion but I hear absolutely NOTHING in those styles.

I have to admit a lot of NWOBHM is pub-band standard but then you get real gems. Demon's first LP, the two albums John Sykes did with the Tygers of Pan Tang and Praying Mantis "Time Tells No Lies".
Tell you a band I'd love to find an LP by: Trespass. Only come across their stuff on compilations and everything I've heard is class.

Here is the list of bands of NWOBHM that I have at least one album:

Angel Witch
Avenger
Blitzkrieg
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Saxon
Witchfynde
Witchfinder General
Tank
Demon
Warfare
Tygers Of Pang Tang
Jaguar
Satan
Samson
Praying Mantis
Tokyo Blade

And related (musically):

Sortilege (FR)
Blaspheme (FR)
H-Bomb (FR)
Warhead (UK)
Black Knight (CAN)
Culprit (USA)

Greeno said:
I always felt the most overrated genre in metal was death/black metal. Just my opinion but I hear absolutely NOTHING in those styles.
Count me in for that remark
xyxthumbs.gif

I think Bay Area Crunch bands are over rated. Exodus and VIO-LENCE aren't that good.
Not impressed. So is current Swedish scene.

Without NWOBHM there wouldn't be Thrash metal nor Power metal. Sure there is crap bands ie-Demon, Witchfynde etc.

RAW matters. RAW IN THE LAW.

I own

Diamond Head
Iron Maiden
Saxon
Grim Reaper
Cloven Hoof
Raven
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Jaguar
Samson
Holocaust
Venom
Angel Witch

I might have couple more.

And 2 NEAT records compilation. Flame Burns On is highly recomemded to those who don't know NWOBHM by Sanctuary Records.

Similar related (not foreign like Wyvern stated) is Wolfsbane and Marshall Law. Both from mother land of heavy metal Birmingham.

P.S. John Sykes never played for Praying Mantis. WTF!? He was in Street Fighter, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Thin Lizzy, White Snake, Blue Murder then solo band current SYKES.

god_king said:
Without NWOBHM there wouldn't be Thrash metal nor Power metal. Sure there is crap bands ie-Demon, Witchfynde etc.

Samson
I beg to disagree I found the first three Demon albums better than Samson so is Withcfynde "Cloak & Dagger", but again to each its own.

P.S. John Sykes never played for Praying Mantis. WTF!? He was in Street Fighter, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Thin Lizzy, White Snake, Blue Murder then solo band current SYKES.
Praying Mantis is the brainchild of the Troy brothers. After their NWOBHM debut, the band basically became stagnant until Dennis Straton (ex-Iron Maiden) came aboard. Also Paul DiAnno sung with them live (1990) but the band took a flight in 1993 with Troy, Troy and Straton as the core. By then John Sykes was deep into his own projects, and the band didn't need a third guitar anyway.

Sure there is crap bands ie-Demon, Witchfynde etc.
hah
first two Demon albums are NWOBHM classics (especially my fav "The Unexpected Guest") .
Also imo "Give Em Hell" from Witchfynde is the best NWOBHM album
most NWOBHM bands released only 1 album (and most of these"1 album material" bands were mediocre) or a 7'' etc. , so the whole gengre hardly hold a balance between quality and non quality.

a question...where do you guys get your Blitzkreig and your Cloven Hoof?
first ep and cloven hoof debut : Reborn Classics on cd , they are kinda rare on vinyl
then their last two albums (Dominator , Sultan's Ransom" ) are also re-released on cd and can be found easily. Imo the best Cloven Hoof album , is a non NWOBHM one, their last one (A Sultans Ransom) where they play power metal.

Sorry for the confusion. No, John Sykes never played for Praying Mantis. What I meant to say was that Time Tells no Lies is a great Lp and so are the Tygers albums he played on: Crazy Nights and Spellbound. The albums either side of that have their moments but Wildcats suffers from most of the songs sharing the same riff and The Cage is a bit too slick.
Incidentlly, John Sykes did the theme song for an anime series called Black Heaven.

Angel Witch
Iron Maiden
Saxon
Witchfinder General
Tygers Of Pang Tang
Holocaust
Mythra

I don't know whether NWOBHM is overrated... ask most Metal younsters about NWOBHM, what do they have to say about it? "uuuh Maiden kick ass... NWOBHM? I don't care".
At the contrary, maybe there are people who instead forget the average bands coming out of this scene.

Anyway my faves are :

Angel Witch (even the stuff they did after the debut! very underrated to me)
Blitzkrieg (the last/new album is killer)
Cloven Hoof (looking forward to seeing them at KIT fest'!)
Demon (first 2 albums of course, I like some of their more polished albums too)
Diamond Head
Gaskin
Grim Reaper (inconsistent but a few awesome songs)
Iron Maiden
Jaguar (aaaaxe craaaazyyyy)
Praying Mantis (dunno why some people think they're not metal...)
Quartz
Raven
Satan & Pariah :headbang:
Savage (not the comeback albums though)
Saxon
Tygers Of Pan Tang

Nice names!
There is so much NWOBHM. Shame many bands are split. Although the reunions are great too, like SATAN.

-Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof
-Gaskin - End of the World (I'm No Fool)
-Blitzkrieg - A Time of Changes
-Bitches Sin - Always Ready For Love EP en Invaders
-Battleaxe - Power From the Universe & Burn this Town
-Wolf - Edge of the World
-Crucifixion - Green Eyes EP, de rest ook wel
-Dark Star - Dark Star & Real to Reel
-Legend - everything
-Girlschool -Demolition! (+ the addictive Priest-cover :Race with the Devil)
-Quartz - Stand up and Fight
-Saracen - the 7" We Have Arrived is great. Hero's Saints and Fools aswell
-Tank not to be forgotten - Filth Hounds of Hate
-Son of a Bitch, former SAXON
-Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound & Wild Cat (cult!)
-Witchfinder General - Death Penalty, Friends of Hell
- Fist - Back With a Vengeance
-Demon - everything untill Heart of Our Time
-Aragorn, Black Ice 7"
-Blackfoot - Marauder, Siogo
-Buffalo
-Angelwitch
-Diamond Head
-Jaguar, their new Run Ragged album is great!
-Praying Mantis
-Denigh - "No Way"
-Damascus...

see there's loads :)

I also do have Blitzkrieg and Savage. Savage's "Loose'n'Lethal" is killer. Garry Sharpe-Young has done illustration for that album cover as well as Grim Reaper's "See You In Hell"

I mean Cloven Hoof, Blitzkrieg albums are very easy to find man. Sanctuary made a re-issues ages ago. Sanctuary is a major label. I'm not sure in USA though.

I actually downloaded few mp3 samples from official Demon website and I just didn't like it. I also purchased Witchfynde's recent album and I thought it was crap. I agree Samson is rubbish. I dislike it.

VENOM this one band made so much inspiratione to 1000s of death/black bands out there.

Wicked Child said:
a question...where do you guys get your Blitzkreig and your Cloven Hoof?

You should be able to get copies of the reissue cd's on eBay. The first Cloven Hoof was just released as part of the NEAT reissues on Castle Records.

Big D said:
Incidentlly, John Sykes did the theme song for an anime series called Black Heaven.
I will so have to check that out :cool:

My NWOBHM faves:

Iron Maiden
Diamond Head
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Saxon
Samson
Angel Witch
Def Leppard

And...didn't we recently have a debate about how Judas Priest have nothing to do with the NWOBHM? :loco: