Off-topic hard rock.....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
One of the few 90's rock bands discs I own is a couple by the American band Fuel (Love the Goo Goo Dolls too btw.) Anyway, I was driving home from work and decided to listen to the local classic rock station. Fuel "Hemorrhage" started playing. What a bad-ass song !!

As soon as I got home, I fired up "Mountain" a non-hit, by the 90's rock band Tonic. Bliss !! Anyone that listens to this one coming up..... give it time. This song rips !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Metal Dog
I don't own a lot of rock stuff post early 80's, but there was actually a nice resurgence of hard rock in the 90's when record labels were scrambling trying to sign grunge band and they ran out, so they just signed rock artists instead. The Fuel releases "Something Like Human" and "Natural Selection" were actually VERY good.... if you like hard rock. Like everyone else here, I am a metal-head and 97% of the music I listen to is metal, but if it weren't for bands like Boston, AC/DC, Pink Floyd and the later Beatles stuff etc. I wouldn't have the taste I have today. I still have some rock and roll blood in me. Brother Cane might have been one of the best..... of those grunge era rock bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap, Hemorrhage is now considered Classic Rock? :(

Since this seems to have delved into a 90s rock discussion, one of my all-time favorite songs is Space Lord from Monster Magnet.

BTW, Bryant, speaking of Brother Cane, their singer did an album with Scott Rockenfield and Kelly Grey of Queensryche called Slave to the System. Not half-bad. Actually, he's done a bunch of work with Alice Cooper, Queensryche and Skid Row as well as other bands.

Man I Dug monster magnet I saw them in Indy on one of the most diverse bills ever in 95. It was them deftones and sugar ray(1st album before there pop bs) it was their dopes to infinity tour. Crazy show.

Since this seems to have delved into a 90s rock discussion, one of my all-time favorite songs is Space Lord from Monster Magnet.

BTW, Bryant, speaking of Brother Cane, their singer did an album with Scott Rockenfield and Kelly Grey of Queensryche called Slave to the System. Not half-bad. Actually, he's done a bunch of work with Alice Cooper, Queensryche and Skid Row as well as other bands.

I don't know if "Hemorrhage" would be considered "classic rock" just yet by many stations, but one particular radio station near me (and quite a powerful one owned by Clear Channel) simply never put the song out of rotation. It wasn't in "heavy" rotation, mind you, but they never stopped playing it. That band was flipping awesome for a couple of releases.

Thanks for the heads up on Damon Johnson (Brother cane,) but I actually have kept up with him pretty well. He is one of my favorite musicians. I have seen him with Brother Cane, Brother Cane Version II, and solo. Never seen him with Alice, though.

I'm not a big fan of 90's Grunge/Stoner but for some reason I have a soft spot for Snail. Possibly because of that drop-out addict vibe.

As for Hard Rock, damn there's some cool Hard Rock from this year, I put a few of them in my 30 best of 2015.

Reactions: EspaDa
Sure, most importantly the whole record is fantastic, perhaps a little long depending on your mood (around the 45 mark, I'm a fan of under-40 minute albums myself) and they're from Denmark. Just put out a real great split with Alucarda who rule (the drummer does vocals for Demon Head.)

Here's hoping they don't nosedive into mediocrity like Witchcraft did.

Cool songs brother !!

Rock music and metal music are brothers and at times there is a blur between rock and metal, just as there is a blur between rock and grunge etc. This is the oldschool metal forum. That means the people here like oldschool metal music. It doesn't mean that is the only music to talk about. There are great modern metal bands with some oldscool vibe and cool hard rock with metal overtones out there. We need to keep this forum alive with cool stuff, yet keep SOME oldschool vibe as well.

Thanks Bryant I'll give them all a look .

You are very welcome my brother. Fuel is a hard rock band with some metal heart in there. They are not metal, but they aren't someone trying to play to a specific audience either. They got lucky, signed and had radio airplay. Fuel is an honest hard rock American band with some metal touches...... I like them.

Bryant

Bands I loved from the 80's/90's: bands like Winger, Skid Row, Stone Temple Pilots--They were my favorites...."Sex Type Thing" was an excellent song by STP...also liked Poison, Guns and Roses, Green Day...awesome bands to me!!! 8-]]

That Slave to the System album was fantastic. When it came out, I actually got to be a co-mod of the band's message forum at the time.