J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Furze – UTD
Candlelights Records – CDL342 – March 6, 2007
By Wayward_Son

furze.jpg

Sometimes being a fan of black metal can be a difficult thing. For example, the constant praises of the empty Deathspell Omega or accepting what a magnificent band like Samael has become makes this writer wonder if this is worth it at all. These fingers can write and give you, Faithful Readers, true interpretations of what these ears here, and yet you still somehow find your way to mediocrity and banality.

Yet, there are moments when being a fan of this arcane form of music can be downright embarrassing. Such is the case when listening to UTD, the latest album from one-man band, Furze. This writer applauds Furze for trying to “keep it real” in these dark days of dance beat black metal and ambient noise black metal. Unfortunately, Furze’s brand of black metal is just so generic and boring, that by the time you get to the second part of the album you'll find yourself wondering what compelled you to purchase this in the first place. If you’ve heard A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Bathory you’ve heard all there is to hear on UTD, though take out the sincerity and pureness those early recordings had in spades. This writer accepts that it may be unfair to place those two trailblazers against a novice like Furze, but pointing you, Faithful Reader, away from nonsense like this is this writer's job.

This writer cannot deny that Furze has placed some interesting little riffs within the sloppy chaos, however, trying to concentrate or even appreciate those fading moments becomes tiresome and frustrating. In the end, it is simply not worth the effort. Maybe it is this writer’s embarrassment, but this cannot be sugarcoated anymore.

Furze’s UTD sounds like an uninspired joke. Read what this writer has written, and do not fall for it.

Official Furze Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

I couldn't get into this album at all. whether it was intentionally odd/awkward or not, my ears weren't able to embrace it.

Sometimes being a fan of black metal can be a difficult thing. For example, the constant praises of the empty Deathspell Omega...

Wow. OK, fair enough. I do disagree with the DsO opinion, but if anything, it intrigues me enough to ask which BM bands you think are "doing it right" these days, if not DsO?