Fusion Influnces

spatch

Nov 20, 2003
London Uk
Can you let me know a bit more about the bands fusion influnces as I have read a lot about the metal side )Fates Warning Cynic etc but not so much around the fusion side. Also I remember reading that the next CD when released will have more fusion based ideas can you give a bit more details about what this would mean as Fusion music uses lots of different concepts.

I'm not a member of the band, but I would guess: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Brand X, Return to Forever, Tribal Tech, etc.

Can you let me know a bit more about the bands fusion influnces as I have read a lot about the metal side )Fates Warning Cynic etc but not so much around the fusion side. Also I remember reading that the next CD when released will have more fusion based ideas can you give a bit more details about what this would mean as Fusion music uses lots of different concepts.

Sorry for the late response, but I’ve been moving the whole week.

I know that term can be a bit misleading. What at least I’m referring to with “Fusion” is music by bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Tribal Tech etc. These were all bands I was introduced to when attending BIT, and especially Gary Willis’ ‘Fusion listening class’. Back then I was basically exclusively into metal, but I was nevertheless struck by the intensity and nerve present in some of the music I encountered in that class, and I immediately started to incorporate certain aspects from it also in my own writing.

Now, with regards to SA, the comment you’re referring to reflects the state of mind of the band just after the release of ASU. Back then – that will be early in this decade - we were still dizzy from the whole ordeal of getting the material out, which took nearly eight years counting from the first material written to the actual release of ASU. This is a pretty long time-span, and accordingly the writing style of the band had the opportunity to change a lot during the process, which it also did. Although the idea of incorporating fusion-elements was there from the very beginning, as explained above, the ability of the band (me included) to execute them didn’t quite keep up with the changing direction and pace of the writing. We had to draw a line somewhere with regards to material actual for the album though, and I think the album in a good way reflects this in that it sounds coherent. But, in order to have a coherent album, we also had no other choice but to take a couple of steps back – btw at a time when I think we were starting to touch upon some really stellar stuff. Thus, although not being at all representative for the writing style then, a song like Moving Spirit was worked out in the final stages of the writing process. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not diminishing the work we put out, but as much as we’re proud of the album we made, I don’t think it quite matched our vision.

So then, when finally having the songs for the album, we still had a dozen of tapes with unused riffs and song-ideas, a lot of it being what I’d call more fusion-based material. This material was all new and IMO our best material to date. Anyway, that’s why the ‘more fusion on the next SA-album’-comment made a lot of sense, since it was naturally to assume that, when focusing on a second album, we’d start with that material and take it from there. Now, we didn’t know then that it would take several more years before we would actually do this, but having said that I must say that at least I’m still pretty much in the same frame of mind as back then. To reveal exactly how we’ll further develop the fusion-side of the band would be spoiling the fun though…

Thanks Lars for explaining this side to your music. I also love the intensity of Fusion music.
It be really interesting to hear how you will combine the metal and fusion parts while keeping the coherence of ASU. Looking forward to hearing the fun

Yeah that was quite interesting.

I saw Weather Report mentioned, awesome band I must say. I watched a DVD of theirs at a friend's house, but haven't heard any more. This has prompted me to go searching.

What at least I’m referring to with “Fusion” is music by bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Tribal Tech etc.

cool! those groups are great. (romantic warrior is a fav) i know this thread is sort of about influences for SA music, but is there anything you listen to that you know won't make an appearance on any SA album? For example: pop, rap, etc.

(i guess anything we listen to influences us, subconsiously, but i guess my true question is: what bands/artists do you listen to that you think would suprise us?) (this goes for any member of the band)

-me

cool! those groups are great. (romantic warrior is a fav) i know this thread is sort of about influences for SA music, but is there anything you listen to that you know won't make an appearance on any SA album? For example: pop, rap, etc.

(i guess anything we listen to influences us, subconsiously, but i guess my true question is: what bands/artists do you listen to that you think would suprise us?) (this goes for any member of the band)

-me
I secont this. Very interesting.