FW: Ray's "arch" comment/gag

euleria

the last in line
Aug 22, 2009
Western New York
I wasn't on the rail; perhaps someone who was can enlighten me.

Twice fairly early on in Fates Warning's set, Ray used his thumb to push up on his upper front teeth, as if he had some loose dental work or something. I thought nothing of it the first time, but then he did it again, and made some offhand comment about "my arch".

Could this have been a gag done in response to calls for "Arch!" from the folk up front? Wild speculation on my part, but I'm curious.

Or maybe he really does just have a loose bridge....

So I rarely if ever respond to any posts about them, other than purely as someone who has appreciated their music for many years.

But as Ray's friend, I can say that he doesn't have any bridgework and he would also not make the kind of joke you are suggesting about John, for whom he has great respect. He was probably making some other kind of joke with somebody that he saw that he knew, is my guess.

I wasn't on the rail; perhaps someone who was can enlighten me.

Twice fairly early on in Fates Warning's set, Ray used his thumb to push up on his upper front teeth, as if he had some loose dental work or something. I thought nothing of it the first time, but then he did it again, and made some offhand comment about "my arch".

Could this have been a gag done in response to calls for "Arch!" from the folk up front? Wild speculation on my part, but I'm curious.

Or maybe he really does just have a loose bridge....

I have no unearthly idea what you're referring to. I watched the entire set attentively, but didn't hear anything about an arch or John Arch.

~Brian~

Only thing I can think of us when Ray had a small panic moment as you could see him thinking 'shit, what's the next line' and then he quickly flipped his pages to get the lyrics for that song (at least thats what it looked like he was doing). I think he had one of his hands near his mouth at that point. But I didn't hear/see anything like what the opening poster said.

Only thing I can think of us when Ray had a small panic moment as you could see him thinking 'shit, what's the next line' and then he quickly flipped his pages to get the lyrics for that song (at least thats what it looked like he was doing). I think he had one of his hands near his mouth at that point. But I didn't hear/see anything like what the opening poster said.

I saw the gesture that the OP is referring to; he did it two or three times. I think the OP's guess is quite a stretch, and it seemed to me that it's more along the lines of what you suggested. I thought it was a "gun in the mouth" gesture, as in a joking "I'm going to kill myself" because of some minor screwup (like a missed note or missed lyric).

I saw the gesture that the OP is referring to; he did it two or three times. I think the OP's guess is quite a stretch, and it seemed to me that it's more along the lines of what you suggested. I thought it was a "gun in the mouth" gesture, as in a joking "I'm going to kill myself" because of some minor screwup (like a missed note or missed lyric).

Yeah. At one point he messed something up and said, "That was me."

1. I asked because what I thought I'd seen/heard was so out of character; I've been perplexed for 36 hrs on this one.

2. I'm relieved that no one else heard any mention of John Arch, since that's what bothered me the most at the time.

3. From my vantage point, it looked like a thumb, and definitely looked like pushing up, not just pointing at himself. But whatever, the gesture by itself isn't noteworthy.

4. Now that there's consensus that I didn't actually hear what I thought I heard, I'm embarrassed to have started this thread and potentially caused harm. I hope we can let this thread drop and soon enough it'll be off the front page of the board.

Ray (who won't read this): I'm sorry, I blew it.

Yeah. At one point he messed something up and said, "That was me."

Yeah that was when Frank was singing harmonies with him and they sang 2 different lines.. They both smiled at each other and then he said that.
And the gesture he made a few times was a gun in the mouth gesture...

1. I asked because what I thought I'd seen/heard was so out of character; I've been perplexed for 36 hrs on this one.

2. I'm relieved that no one else heard any mention of John Arch, since that's what bothered me the most at the time.

3. From my vantage point, it looked like a thumb, and definitely looked like pushing up, not just pointing at himself. But whatever, the gesture by itself isn't noteworthy.

4. Now that there's consensus that I didn't actually hear what I thought I heard, I'm embarrassed to have started this thread and potentially caused harm. I hope we can let this thread drop and soon enough it'll be off the front page of the board.

Ray (who won't read this): I'm sorry, I blew it.

It's all good. You stated that it was just your opinion or theory on what was going on and asked others to confirm or deny what happened.