FX Sample Pack in the making - requests?

rapucore

i really hate spiders
Feb 25, 2013
FIN
Hey guys! :kickass:

I'm in the middle of creating an FX Sample Pack (free and will always be if it ever comes out) and was just wondering, if you're interested in such sample packs, what are you looking to find in them?

My pack will feature stuff like:
1. Suspension fx
2. Reverses
3. Cinematic percussion hits
4. "Falls"
5. Ambient paddy stuff

And a lot of other stuff as well of course, just wanted to send out a feeler of what you are looking for. Any specific requests? I might setup a tutorial video on creating interesting effects and such after releasing, will let you know.

There will be some one shot drum and percussion stuff as well as some loops. :)

Cheers,
- Aleksi/rapucore

Hey, cool idea. Personally I would be really interested in some "environmental" effects. Rain, thunder, wind, doors, stairs, crickets, etc.

Thanks for the reply!
Awesome, I'm always strolling the nature for stuff like that with recording devices! ;)

Yeah, since I like adding a lot of atmosphere in music, I find this kind of stuff really awesome. I also don't believe in ripping off movie samples, so I guess I'm going to have to start chasing wolves with an LDC mic in the woods. :D

yes definitely add "industrial" sounds! BTW how do you go about doing this type of stuff? Can you give some examples on how you go about making FX and what kind of processing goes into it. I've been meaning to get around to making samples of my cast iron frying pan a la terminator 1 soundtrack

yes definitely add "industrial" sounds! BTW how do you go about doing this type of stuff? Can you give some examples on how you go about making FX and what kind of processing goes into it. I've been meaning to get around to making samples of my cast iron frying pan a la terminator 1 soundtrack

Certainly!

There are several ways of creating great-sounding samples, I'll let you in on some. ;) Just like in foley, the real thing may not be the best to represent the sound - sometimes it really is though. Punching someone in the face doesn't give that amazing thump and impact you hear in the movies, it's actually very anticlimatic (not that I go beating people for comparing sounds hahaha). :lol:

In example: You can create amazing cinema impact sounds with just one snare sample one-shot. Have a few copies and pitch them differently, add reverb, bit-crushing, tons of EQ, compression etc to make it sound punchy and pounding. Instant movie-quality sound design!

Mechanical and industrial sounds can be made from normal daily sounds by pitching, EQing and distorting them among other techniques. Will definitely make a video after the release of the first sample pack. :)

The first sample pack includes sounds that I've been hunting like:
1. Going into a huge warehouse with metal pipes, snares and toms and pounding the hell out of them
2. Slamming doors and dropping keys
3. Ambient sounds from the nature
4. Animal sounds processed to sound evil as fuck :lol:
5. Making very strange noises with my voice, instruments, amps etc

Among creating samples and rooms from stuff I record (for the record, I don't use stuff recorded by anyone else than me - using my sample pack will be 100% legal), I create samples synthentically. Sinewaves, squarewaves and such modulated can turn into amazing ambient pad stuff and eerie soundscapes.

Thanks for the replies, glad to answer more if you want even more specific answers and such! :kickass:

I'm pretty sure you hear them enough, given that you spend your evenings among those activities anyways :lol:

Damn, awesome stuff! If you are interested, I would love to volunteer to be involved in this project, be it sample testing or whatever. Really looking forward to this!

Fantastic! I could use a few testers indeed, thank you very much! Will contact you later when I'm closer to finishing. :kickass:

what mics do you typically use? I just made some samples of a cast iron frying pan hit with a hammer! Sounds cool when I add reverb.

Awesome! ;)

I use some LDCs, SDCs and a few dynamics (mainly SM57). :) As for samples recorded in the nature, handheld digital recorder ftw!