Gamma Ray In The U.S.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Glenn, that's 2005's info. The website is not up yet.

The festival is indeed the weekend of 4/28-30 this year.

Ahh my bad. Cheers to them. I have nothing but respect for that fest and its organizers.

Glenn H.

Yeah, you know how they do things (at least, of late), book the tours that are already set-up, and voila! Instant headliners!

Exodus/Cryptopsy/Immolation is the other night's headliner this year.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Yeah, you know how they do things (at least, of late), book the tours that are already set-up, and voila! Instant headliners!

Well, when you have over 50 bands to book!!!! It's cost efficient that way. Sounds like a smart idea to me, expecially when you have to appeal to all genre's of metal and hardocre!!

They *used* to bring over bands just for their festival, made it much more unique and exciting IMO.[/QUOTE]

What year or years are you referring to?

MadeInNewJersey said:
They *used* to bring over bands just for their festival, made it much more unique and exciting IMO.

I just wanted to chime in here as that is getting harder and harder to do. In my situation, I do not book a "tour." However, some of the bigger bands end up booking a tour around my show. If they are here, they may as well take advantage of it if they have available resources. That is what happen with Therion & Stratovarious last year. Neither had a single North American date booked before I spoke with them.

Now that that this is becoming more frequent, I have to figure out a way to make that band's appearance unique if the the situation calls for it. I have a few aces up my sleeve this year that I will play if the "touring" situation arises again for the headliners.

I do not know NE's philosophy on booking. I do recognize that they book a ton more bands and that a tour cost is much more economical vs. individual shows when you are talking around 15-20 big/medium names.

Glenn H.

I recently had to move from Seattle to Virginia, and my discovery of Jaxx has been one of the only good things about that move. True, it's a 2.5 to 3 hour drive, but it's been more than worth it to see bands like Therion and Kamelot. I've never been a huge Gamma Ray fan, though, so I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go or not.

Harvester said:
In my situation, I do not book a "tour." However, some of the bigger bands end up booking a tour around my show. If they are here, they may as well take advantage of it if they have available resources. That is what happen with Therion & Stratovarious last year. Neither had a single North American date booked before I spoke with them.
So, even though I wasn't able to make it to ProgPower last year like I'd hoped, I still have you to thank for seeing those two incredible bands? For seeing one of the best shows of my life (Therion)? Cheers. :)

Harvester said:
...buy a ticket, or the kitten dies......

LOf'nL!!!!! Even if the performances aren't as "unique", it's still 50% music, and 50% people for me, and where else are you going to see a roster of 10 mostly kickass bands under one roof, in one weekend?

I can only think of 3 bands I DIDN'T mind missing

1) PoS - That's a given, :Spin: and I even put up with a few songs every time they play :p

2) Devin

3) Nightingale

J-Dubya

MadeInNewJersey said:
Prior to say, 2003, maybe 2002.

@Glenn: trust me, I believe you. I think they way you've done things is truly admirable and has helped make PP into the unique, well-respected festival that it is.

Take a look at the lineups of 2002 and prior and try and prove your point. You wont beable to:Spin:

Reod Dai said:
So, even though I wasn't able to make it to ProgPower last year like I'd hoped, I still have you to thank for seeing those two incredible bands? For seeing one of the best shows of my life (Therion)? Cheers. :)

You're welcome. :headbang: :D (I'm sure Glenn says the same.)