Gas prices effecting anyone else?

IronPlant said:
Apples and oranges my freind. It is a bit different to pay 6.50 for gas when you live in a country that is as big as Texas as compared to living in a country as big as the US. Europeans rarely need to drive as far as Americans do.

As I understand, it is the European gas tax ($3.00 a gallon?) that makes gas so expensive, not the cost of gas itself. I think the US gas tax is about 50 cents although it varies by state.

adaher said:
It is long past due that technology advances go from the research stage to the actual development stage. Hydrogen fuel cell technology. Hybrid cars... these need to become more readily available soon. Very soon

Part of the problem is consumer resistance.

And cost! Ever check the prices on the hybrids?
insane!

J-Dubya 777 said:
insane!
Good point. The Ford Escape is about $4000 more according to manufactorers' suggestion but it's more at the dealers. In addition, there was a tax break for people buying hybrids until last year but I heard that was eliminated. That's where our government needs to step up and make it more enticing for people to buy them. I'm planning to get one used in 2 years and hopefully the incentives will be in place by then.

TheWhisper said:
mentioned suspending NASCAR races, and the like. I wonder why no one mentioned anything about musicians conserving fuel and suspending tours, and such. They use all sorts of fuel to flying around in planes, driving buses across country and hauling gear in tractor trailers...right? :)

I'm ok with that! It's not like I'll be able to afford going to many after PP anyway! :D

ReaLM said:
Also, I can't understand people who live far away from work for material reasons. It is stupid! Most people don't need a huge house or yard... they won't make you happy. I bought the closest house to ATL that I could afford that I felt was in a safe neighborhood. For the money I paid I could have bought a mansion in Acworth or some other suburban area. If I didn't love to garden so much, I would have bought a condo in midtown instead. People need to rethink there priorities. Won't having 1-3 more hours of free time a day make people happier than having a huge house and yard? My time is very valuable to me.

I'm sure some people have legitimate reasons for there lifestyle, but not most of them. Maybe I just don't understand, but there are a lot of things that go on in this world that I just don't understand.

Robin

Not like you care, but let me give you an example. When I moved up to rural southern WI, I worked 17 miles away in McHenry, and before the bottom fell out, was making nearly 70K/yr. I am in the IT industry, and that industry doesn't thrive in rural areas. My house is 1500 sq feet INCLUDING the basement. It's not stately Wayne Manor by any means, and I'd have to look up my lot size, but it isn't very big. When my job was eliminated in 2002, I sold EVERYTHING I owned of value, music gear, comics, coins, 401K, etc. trying to stay afloat while I looked for work & emptied my unemployment benefits in the first 9 months. When that ran out, I could not even get food stamps from either WI or IL (where I worked). I took odd jobs in consulting, drove/delivered vehicles for a car dealer in Lake Geneva, and finally ended up full time working at Home Depot but not earning enough to afford benefits.
I eventually filed bankruptcy, and managed to hang onto my house. I COULD sell my house, and move closer to my new job, but the housing prices for anything remotely close are completely out of my price range, including 1 bedroom condos. Not to mention fixing things that would need to be repaired
before I could sell. Going back to renting would undermine the savings & sacrifices I made just to get this house 10 years ago and have a home that I OWNED and the small chunk of earth it sits on. My new job climbing back up the ladder again pays less than I made 10 years ago when I purchased my home. So some people can't just up & move. For me it's a choice between cutting off my left leg, my right leg, or just staying put, and hoping for the best. If I could have afforded to live in IL back in 95, I would be there. There was a lot more bang for my $ in WI at that time. and I'm not talking 4000 Sq ft verses 1500 sq/ft. Things are getting better now, but the government is sure doing its best to fuck things up for everyone again. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. Special thanks go out to those who helped me attend PP the last couple of years, and giving me a a little break from reality during a very DARK time for me. I'm glad I'm able to pay you back, and help a couple others along the way this year...

The Detroit automakers and all their bribed politicians in Washington DC have been avoiding alternative energy to fuel automobiles because it would cost the automakers a lot of money for R&D

It's not fair to criticize the auto companies alone. The United Auto Workers has stood shoulder to shoulder with them against having to innovate, which makes resistance to the idea bipartisan. Their answer is to restrict imports, not compete.

insane!

The Prius is cheaper than most cars of it's size, plus you get a tax credit.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Not like you care, .

Look, I CLEARLY said that there are legitimate reasons. I also said "not having enough affordable housing for the working class near big cities" is a major problem. In Atlanta right now we are having a big problem with that. It is ridiculous that lower income jobs (esp. Fireman, Teachers, and Poilce) have to commute an hour or more to work through horrid traffic in order to afford decent housing.

I do feel bad for you ... good luck. I hope you can make PP.

You have to understand that I am bitching about the thousands of rich suburbanites that work in ATL yet insist on living an hour away and commuting just so that they can have a giant house and yard. I bought a house 11 miles from town (inside the perimeter) that is 1840 square ft. with .3 acres for a decent price. There is this streak of lavish materialism in the suburbs. These people clog our roads and waste gas!

Robin

so 2 months ago it was that missing girl natalie holloway, then the hurricane hits, and now gas prices...im so sick and tired of turning on the news and hearing about all this horrible shit happening everywhere. THANK GOD FOR PROGPOWER in 2 weeks. no fucking tv, no fucking news, just fucking METAL!!!

Riceloft said:
So what ARE the gas prices in and around atlanta currently?

A bit above $3 at most places--$3.15 for regular at my closest station (a BP). Check out atlantagasprices.com if you really want to know details. Seveal of them are still out of regular and mid-grade, including the Costco station on P'tree Dunwoody, and the QT off Dunwoody Place near 400, at least as of yesterday at about 2 when I drove by.

ReaLM said:
You have to understand that I am bitching about the thousands of rich suburbanites that work in ATL yet insist on living an hour away and commuting just so that they can have a giant house and yard. I bought a house 11 miles from town (inside the perimeter) that is 1840 square ft. with .3 acres for a decent price. There is this streak of lavish materialism in the suburbs. These people clog our roads and waste gas!

Shoot, some of them drive *more* than an hour... this is what pisses me off too, and something I don't understand. Getting up at 5 to drive into town to work until 6 just so you can live asshole-to-elbow with your neighbors in 4000 square foot houses on quarter-acre lots... apparently, those people's priorities and mine are quite different. I bought a condo in south Roswell last year 'cuz you can't really get a decent house for under $150K unless you go out to Hiram or Dallas or something, and I am NOT driving that far. I live 9 miles from work, and sometimes that's too far.

I'd much rather have a house with several acres around me, but it's not an option right now. I'll have to revisit things once I get married, but for now, for me, it's condo living.

Shaye

DrumRman said:
Im still waiting for the explanation of Oil companies reporting RECORD PROFITS this year. PROFITS man PROFITS. Sure I expect Gas to go up because of the Hurricane........being raped in the wallet is another.

Well fuck them for running their business efficiently. What kind of explanation are you looking for? They covered all of their fixed and variable costs, and then made some more money. That's how profits are made. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that other companies probably made some profits too. Damn this capitalism!!!!!!:err:

DrumRman said:
Im supposed to drive to PP this year from NH and could wind up being completely fucked.

How much are you estimating the trip at? We should get some Northeasterners to carpool down there.

Heavenly Call said:
Well fuck them for running their business efficiently. What kind of explanation are you looking for? They covered all of their fixed and variable costs, and then made some more money. That's how profits are made. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that other companies probably made some profits too. Damn this capitalism!!!!!!:err:

If you find it acceptable that the Oil Industry is price gouging good for you. But in any case you believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want.

chrisrules895 said:
How much are you estimating the trip at? We should get some Northeasterners to carpool down there.

No clue to be honest. Me and fellow forumer Evil are gonna drive down and hope for the best.

Just sucks that I may be sleeping on the streets because of the current gas situation thats effecting my 90 mile a day commute to work.

<sarcasm>I know I know I should just quit my job and work closer. You know thats so easy, and will happen when I snap my fingers. Nevermind that most jobs that are in fact hiring pay SHIT.</sarcasm>

Some peoples responses in here are so fucking retarded its laughable. Sure I chose to work 45 miles away, sorry I didnt fucking know gas would jump a buck 50 a gallon in a week.

I refuse to take public transportation with the common people. MARTA doesn't even have XM, and the people are disgusting. Unless public transportation can offer me a separate, sealed off luxury area to myself, then count me out.

ReaLM said:
I do feel bad for you ... good luck. I hope you can make PP.

Robin

Thanks, I WILL be there by my own means this year.
Everybody has their own reasons for living where they do,
and not everyone (maybe even in Atlanta) is doing it out of
materialistic wants/desires, that's all I was trying to convey.

honestly, is gas that fucking bad. sure its high but cmon, people on the forum talking about possibly not making it to PP, or other extreme situations due to inflated gas prices. fucking ridiculous, i think. clearly if you're on the forum you've got a computer, and you arent homeless...can we please stop acting like gas prices are gonna put us all on the streets tommorow. they will go down in time, and we can all get back to focusing on metal and metal related issues.

What most are missing here is the fact the gas prices are going to affect not only what you pay for gas and what more it costs you to go from point A to point B, but what you pay for everything else. Gas pricing has and will continue to impact what you pay for goods and services. It may very well also limit what is available to any given person in any given location.

Ultimately , the only thing that will change this is an alternate fuel sorce and/or more fuel efficient transportation.

Unfortunately, consumer hybrids, while a step in the right direction, will be little help other than to reduce consumers fuel costs. The bigger issue is comercial transportation and a way to reduce company and industrial fuel costs. As long as industry remainds without a fuel alternative, consumers will continue to see prices rise considerably on all marketable goods and services. I personally have seen my fuel costs triple in just over two years. I have also seen my material costs increase considerably as well, due to increased shipping costs. This all gets passed on to you, the consumer.

The sad part is, if R&D was started, in earnest, 30 years ago, we might not be in as bad a shape as we will be for the next 10-20 years (at least)....and the resaons for it not having been.....well, I think we all have a fairly good idea.

While gas prices will ultimately come down some in time, gas, as well as natural gas, will continue to remain high and continue to climb slowly over time. Until we all start making some changes and start to push back, little will change...until it is really to late.