Gas prices effecting anyone else?

Well, I just hope they *have* gas in Atlanta next week. Only 3 out of 14 stations I drove by last night had it at all, and then only one grade... was I just in the wrong parts of town? Any other Atlantans that can say whether the stations near them have gas? I was in Lilburn and Roswell, btw.

Shaye

rockyracoon said:
honestly, is gas that fucking bad. sure its high but cmon, people on the forum talking about possibly not making it to PP, or other extreme situations due to inflated gas prices. fucking ridiculous, i think. clearly if you're on the forum you've got a computer, and you arent homeless...can we please stop acting like gas prices are gonna put us all on the streets tommorow. they will go down in time, and we can all get back to focusing on metal and metal related issues.

Gas isn't stopping me from going to PP, but I think you're missing the point.
It's obviouosly affecting people who can't a)move b) drop $'s on a more efficient vehicle. Some people are on tighter budgets than others.
It will AFFECT the people driving down to the fest this year.
I'll bet they take 2 to 3 times as long to drop, as they did to go up...
The squeeze is on!

All I know is that whenever I get to the point of buying a car I'm going with a hybrid or something......or maybe they'll have the hypercars in mass production by then. *hugs David Brower* ^_^

I'm just happy the new vehicle we just got is a 6 cylinder (almost went with a full blown SUV, whew!). We made it to Myrtle Beach from Virginia on one tank. Should be about a tank and a half for me to PPUSA.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Gas isn't stopping me from going to PP, but I think you're missing the point.
It's obviouosly affecting people who can't a)move b) drop $'s on a more efficient vehicle. Some people are on tighter budgets than others.
It will AFFECT the people driving down to the fest this year.
I'll bet they take 2 to 3 times as long to drop, as they did to go up...
The squeeze is on!

thats exactly right...there are those who are on a budget...

lady_space said:
Well, I just hope they *have* gas in Atlanta next week. Only 3 out of 14 stations I drove by last night had it at all, and then only one grade... was I just in the wrong parts of town? Any other Atlantans that can say whether the stations near them have gas? I was in Lilburn and Roswell, btw.

Shaye

I live in Smyrna and every gas station has gas. I didnt have a problem at all getting gas for me or my wife's car. I paid 3.15 a gal and she paid 2.99 the next day cause of the gas tax relief by the governer

J-Dubya 777 said:
And cost! Ever check the prices on the hybrids?
insane!

No doubt, they are expensive now because they are new technology and in low supply and high demand. As they become more available and other companies bring hybrids to market, competition and increased supply will bring the prices lower.

Airbags made cars more expensive. Catalytic converters made cars more expensive. Even seatbelts made cars more expensive. And Detroit resisted all three of those innovations stating that they'd go broke having to retool and that customers wouldn't want to pay the higher cost. Of course those predictions were all untrue.

Oil will run out someday then nobody will have a choice but to go with what's available. But when gas reaches $5 in America before the decade is over, something tells me that we'll be filling our cars with something other than oil long before the oil runs out.

King Lek said:
What most are missing here is the fact the gas prices are going to affect not only what you pay for gas and what more it costs you to go from point A to point B, but what you pay for everything else. Gas pricing has and will continue to impact what you pay for goods and services. It may very well also limit what is available to any given person in any given location.

Ultimately , the only thing that will change this is an alternate fuel sorce and/or more fuel efficient transportation.
(snip)

I wholeheartedly agree here. Living in California, more specifically, SoCal, we have this "hurry up and wait" attitude in general. Citizens just basically go about doing what we've always done, and that's to complain about everything with only a few individuals really trying to do something about it.

The link I posted previously in this thread regarding the Cryogenic Tempuring of engines and individual components... I swear I don't understand why this technology, which is readily available, has not been incorporated by "Industry". A company that currently treats machinery using cryogenic tempuring charges $450 dollars to treat the entire engine assembly of most vehicles. Of course, larger engines would be a bit more expensive, but think about it: $450 dollars to double, or possibly triple, fuel efficiency. For example, the man that is pioneering this as a business operates a hybrid, which ran at about 40-50pmg on average. After treating his own vehicle, he was averagin 120mpg. Tripled the gas mileage. And it's not widespread knowledge, or even put to widespread use (except for Formula Racing, etc.). To me that is a travesty.

If manufacturers would incorporate this process NOW, a huge difference could be made across the board. Not only in terms of gas mileage, but the actual efficiency and longevity of vehicles/machinery as a whole. This technology not only does its magic on metal, but on plastics as well. *sigh*

The roadblocks lie within the capitalistic corporations that are driven by greed and profit.. the mentality of the here and now. Humanity in the US is driven by a very corrupt machine, imho, and that machine is a huge underlying cause for the breakdown not only of our economy, but of our planet as well. Father Time has drawn lines in the sands of our shores and Mother Nature is starting to shake of some of her fleas. I hope humanity can begin to pay some respect to both before it becomes to late.

J-Dubya 777 said:
The squeeze is on!

well my point is that im into "the squeeze." maybe this so-called squeeze might shake things up a bit. i like when large groups of people finally get pissed off and think about doing something about it...though thats usually about as far as it goes. maybe if gas keeps escalating, action might be taken.

rockyracoon said:
well my point is that im into "the squeeze." maybe this so-called squeeze might shake things up a bit. i like when large groups of people finally get pissed off and think about doing something about it...though thats usually about as far as it goes. maybe if gas keeps escalating, action might be taken.

I was pissed off enough to report 3 WI/IL border stations for gouging. Not that anything is going to become of it hard enough to hurt them, but I did see their prices drop 10-20 cents by this weekend. they were 20-40 cents OVER what other area stations in a 10 mile radius were charging. More of this stuff needs to happen.......

lifesadream said:
I live in Smyrna and every gas station has gas. I didnt have a problem at all getting gas for me or my wife's car. I paid 3.15 a gal and she paid 2.99 the next day cause of the gas tax relief by the governer

Thanks! That makes me feel better... I was trying not to be an alarmist, but was a little worried after seeing so many empty stations on Saturday. I saw a couple more stations in Roswell with all 3 grades yesterday, too.

Shaye

lady_space said:
Thanks! That makes me feel better... I was trying not to be an alarmist, but was a little worried after seeing so many empty stations on Saturday. I saw a couple more stations in Roswell with all 3 grades yesterday, too.

Shaye

That is good to hear 9 days away from driving down... thats my only concern is cost and availability

J-Dubya 777 said:
I was pissed off enough to report 3 WI/IL border stations for gouging. Not that anything is going to become of it hard enough to hurt them, but I did see their prices drop 10-20 cents by this weekend. they were 20-40 cents OVER what other area stations in a 10 mile radius were charging. More of this stuff needs to happen.......

nice work!!! that kinda what im talking about. its unfortunate that people need to take action against that kind of shit, but i applaude you doing so.

rockyracoon said:

Yep.

What's reallly funny is....hearing all the environmental activists bemoaning and deploring the high cost of gas. Some have even said that it's allll caused by Big Oil, or by George Bush, or some other mysterious but inexplicable force (aside from the true cause, supply and demand)....

So, if high fuel prices are causing people to rethink their priorities...to carpool more....to use public transportation....to consider buying something smaller than an SUV....to telecommute.....shouldn't they be ecstatic? Heck, if Bush is really the cause of it all, they should be toasting his name from Hyannisport to Berkeley! :tickled:

What enviros are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Silly, really. I've made this case myself before. (Not that I agree that 'supply and demand' is quite the entire explanation.)

That said, George Bush is still a cocksucker. :D

Shaye

i spoke with an elderly woman today who was up in arms about getting "squeezed." she claims she can no longer afford to be involved with driving/car ownership and will therefore be selling her 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis. im glad gas prices are "squeezing" these people off the map...

dusro2 said:
i spoke with an elderly woman today who was up in arms about getting "squeezed." she claims she can no longer afford to be involved with driving/car ownership and will therefore be selling her 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis. im glad gas prices are "squeezing" these people off the map...

amen bro!!! im totally into "the squeeze." ive been talking with people at work who claim to be getting "sqeezed" out of work/life/pusuit of happiness due to gas prices. personally, i set some money aside for PP since i have a fucking year to plan. makes it really easy to budget that stuff. but hey, if someones gets "squeezed" out of coming, then maybe their priorities should be reorganized. LONG LIVE "THE SQUEEZE"

gasprices.jpg

13ShadesofGray said:
If manufacturers would incorporate this process NOW, a huge difference could be made across the board. Not only in terms of gas mileage, but the actual efficiency and longevity of vehicles/machinery as a whole. This technology not only does its magic on metal, but on plastics as well. *sigh*

That makes way too much sense. Get real.
;)