Gclip question

Yes. Put two mono instances of the compressor. Then link one of them to the left and the other one to the right using the routing view of the channel inserts.

Yes, good point. But not all compressor plugs let you do this, for instance, the waves ssl g-comp. (please correct me if I'm wrong and save me some work)

doesn´t two transparent compressor on dual mono sounds exactly the same as one stereo version across stereo file? I thought this dual mono technique makes sense with more organic comps like analog hardware or any coloring plugins (and with slightly different settings)...?

You use the same settings for both sides, whether is hardware or software. Because the majority of the energy is coming from the middle of the mix, both compressors will be basically behaving the same way. But, when each side is a little different, because of the difference in the left and right channels (different drums, different guitars, keys, whatever), then both compressors will compress just a little differently. If the compressors are set up for drastic compression, it will ruin the whole stereo image...things getting pulled to the left or right. But with just slight compression...well...just try it for yourself. If you don't hear any difference or think it's too much trouble...fine. But I love it. It opens up the mix (subtly) without having to use phasey stereo imagers.

Yes, good point. But not all compressor plugs let you do this, for instance, the waves ssl g-comp. (please correct me if I'm wrong and save me some work)

I'm correcting you for you're wrong. :)

I was able to do it in both Cubase 3&4.

Anyway, if for some reason this doesn't work with SSL comp, you could try RComp ala Charles Dye. He tells it in "Mix it Like a Record" DVD.

I'm correcting you for you're wrong. :)

I was able to do it in both Cubase 3&4.

Anyway, if for some reason this doesn't work with SSL comp, you could try RComp ala Charles Dye. He tells it in "Mix it Like a Record" DVD.

You can do this with the SSL G-Comp plug? I know you can with Rcomp (like you described). And with that compressor from the "conspiracy plugs" you can actually run it in dual-mono mode. I'm not arguing with you at all...just trying to find out if it's possible with the G-comp, other than the way I do it. Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. :) I just really prefer its sound over Rcomp for the final stage. I use Rcomp extensively for track and group buss compression. But for using Rcomp...your way saves some work!

read the above article "getting your loudness" it explains. I'm just a little confused as to how much clipping should be goin on. I try and keep the threshold just clipping on the snare but cant seem to get the loudness Slate is talking about so there must be something I'm doing wrong.

I have read the "getting your loudness" thread like 20 times. i just want to know some advices with the gclip trick like ...i dont know...softness should be between 20 and 60% or never go more than 6db in the gain...(for example)

lasse or greywolf627...
can you explain to me the "use a very slight compresion" step? with what setting should i start with the ssl comp ? now with my mixes im using the waves Linear Phase Multiband (like in the har-bal mastering tutorial http://har-bal.com/mastering_process.php)

thank you very much for the help :worship:

p.s: sorry if there is something wrong with the english.

I use this as a starting point on the SSL comp:

atk: 30ms
rel: 100ms
ratio: 1.5-3:1
Adjust the threshold there is only 2db of reduction, max.
Dual mono

I've heard and read of other people using much higher ratios...on the order of 8 or 10...but still, only BARELY moving the needle. (gain reduction) But I haven't played with this technique yet (but very curious about it).

That should get you started.

Why would you want to do dual mono compression on a stereo source? You guys do know that having the two sides working individually will cause stereo image shifting depending on how loaded each side is, right? I don't think a bit of extra loudness is worth that wonky trade-off.

Tried GClip again today. Worked really well on a track I was mastering. Got some good level prior to distortion from it. That was with the default settings of softness at 0%. Will try other modes in later projects.

Ended up landing on this: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Music/Supersonic-MyMachine.mp3

Not too quiet and not too loud, so I can live with it.

Ermin, I know what you're saying. I questioned the technique for the same reason. It goes against everything I was taught in school all those many years ago. But, I was told about it. I tried it. I like it, and love what it does to the sound. This ONLY works if you using very small amounts of compression. Otherwise, you will get all "wonky". But we're only dealing with small changes. All I can say is, try it. If you don't hear a difference or think it's more trouble than it's worth...fine. Or maybe you'll like it too. :)