Gear Upgrade

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
Since earlier this year I've been using an Emu0404 PCI and Nuendo 1.5

As of last night I'm the proud inheritantorator:zombie: of Ableton Live 4.0 and an M-Audio 1814. I still plan on using nuendo but my goal over the next few weeks/months is to start learning ableton which should be fun because the reference manual for it is thicker than a conspiracy theory sandwich.
:Smokin:

I'm a n00bie to Ableton Live 4 but...
have tracked drums with the 1814 back when I was jammin with the band so I'm fairly famililar although I have since spent a couple hours attempting to learn this recording bizniz (especially since joining this forum:kickass:)

anyway, I wanna know what experiences you dudes have had with either of these... the good, the bad, the happy or sad, etc.

and........

GO

i have an m-audio delta 1010lt. ive had alright experience with M-Audio products...the 1814 looks really nice.

what do you plan on using live4 for? tracking? remixing?

i tried using ableton4 but it takes some serious time. a friend of mine uses that as his main DAW, but hes also an electronic music producer. it looks really impressive, though.

Ableton Live is horrible for tracking real instruments and mess with the waves. I would never use it as my main DAW, although it is really sweet for electronic music. I suggest you to link Live via ReWire to a better DAW. BTW, why use Live 4 when there is Live 6 out there? It has some great in-program tutorials that are pretty good (at least funnier than a giant reference manual).

Ableton Live is horrible for tracking real instruments and mess with the waves. I would never use it as my main DAW, although it is really sweet for electronic music.

Not true. A lot of talk about Live's engine sounding inferior has gone around the net, but the solution is as simple as turning off sample warping.

You're right though, Live 6 is great... though you might want to pick up a copy of M-Powered now that you have a PT compatible interface.

I've heard some things about the 1814 having shakey reliability, specifically in its preamps, but what kicks ass about it is that 1) it's got an ADAT input, so you could grab a Mackie Onyx 800R and run it in and 2) it's M-powered compatible, as already mentioned. So good find! (but define "inheritorator" :lol:)

I'll be using nuendo as my main DAW for tracking and mixing but I'd really like to get passed the ableton learning curve...
we've had it in the studio for a couple years now (hence ver4) but to be honest I was pretty intimidated by it at first glance because I was just starting to get into the swing of things. I was used to cakewalk home studio, had no clue about what engineering actually was and so I just never took the time to learn it. Besides we just wanted to get a demo ep out as fast as possible and reverb was the greatest thing since sliced bread...
seriously it turned out to be absolute bung...
At any rate they were both a gift in return for tracking a christmas album for a gospel quartet :headbang:

wow I really gotta finish an entire post all at once, I spaced out and when I came back to finish you guys had replied, my bad

I've heard both about ableton live (about it being a good all around DAW and also a not-so-good all-around DAW)
I dont have ANY experience with it other than installing it and taking a look and closing it never to been used or seen again, until now that is...
I speak from first-hand experience about the mic pres on the 1814 being shakey (the lasted a little over a year and then started acting psychotic and insane crackling did happen) and after checking it out online I read from several other people having the same problems after not-so-long as well.
I did, however, read that its a simple soldering fix (which would be fine in this case because this unit is WAY out of warranty now) but I haven't braved it that far... band quit jamming, no more recording, items sat dormant in the jam room for several months, couple years and now I'm getting back into it all. Being as I was the only one semi-edumocated with recording those were my duties I guess thats how all this comes about. pretty cool :headbang:

p.s.

"inheritorator" pronounced 'in-hair-it-ur-ate-ur'
noun ex. "I was the sole inheritorator of them there fine recordin thingamagadgets".
exclamatory inquisition ex#2 "WTF IS AN INHERITORATOR?!"

I ate the respiratory system of aforementioned inheritant.

Not true. A lot of talk about Live's engine sounding inferior has gone around the net, but the solution is as simple as turning off sample warping.
I was trying to say that the general interface of Live when handling waves is very poor. Not talking about sound quality, but how easy and fast is to edit them. For example, when you click with the right button on a WAV clip on Nuendo you get all that options of processing on the menu, while on Live you have just a few options of things to do with that wave. I also hate their transport interface. Well, as I´ve said, I just hate it for tracking, I love running it via ReWire : )

Live´s support to MIDI control (a la Reason) should be copied by every DAW on the market. You know, you click on a button and all the knobs that can be mapped start glowing, and all you have to do is click on the knob you want and assign it to a real knob on your MIDI controller. Simple, fast, beautiful, clean and perfect. Really miss this kind of option on Nuendo.

I was trying to say that the general interface of Live when handling waves is very poor. Not talking about sound quality, but how easy and fast is to edit them. For example, when you click with the right button on a WAV clip on Nuendo you get all that options of processing on the menu, while on Live you have just a few options of things to do with that wave. I also hate their transport interface. Well, as I´ve said, I just hate it for tracking, I love running it via ReWire : )

Totally. For me, nothing beats PT for tracking & editing.

Live´s support to MIDI control (a la Reason) should be copied by every DAW on the market. You know, you click on a button and all the knobs that can be mapped start glowing, and all you have to do is click on the knob you want and assign it to a real knob on your MIDI controller. Simple, fast, beautiful, clean and perfect. Really miss this kind of option on Nuendo.

Yeah, I love that too!