Gearbox plugin in a group channel ....

Neil_Mad

Damn Member
Feb 22, 2009
Uruguay
Hi guys I just want to ask where do you put the Gearbox Plugin
I mean if you have 2 o 4 guitar tracks (panned hard) do you put 1 plugin for each track or you send all the track into a group channel and then put the plugin there...

also I heard some people put 1 plugin for each track and then send it to a group channel the put another plugin with an preamp preset...

other thing that I heard is for the guitars triplicate the tracks and put 1 plugin for each track but changing the mics for example one with axis on another with 421 and another with condenser then send all into a group channel with 1 plugin with a pre amp preset...

well to me sounds very weird I tested and after a couple or hours doesn`t sounds so bad but I thinks is too much process at least for me...and I think I read an interview to Jason Suecof where he describes his record process and he does something similar 3 mics routed into a preamp I think that plugins route is trying to emulate that but I don`t know how do you think?....

i use podfarm now, but essentially the same as gearbox, just an updated look.

indeed, when i use revalver, i run the 2 DI tracks into a group, with revalver, and run each effect in stereo. the bonus being that they have the same sound, and changes are made to both tracks at the same time.

of course, you don't save any CPU time doing this, the plugin is just running the effects twice, one for each channel.

you can feed a stereo signal into podfarm. however, as far as i know, its only possible to have 2 separate effect chains running at once, so that bonus of having the same sound, and the same changes is lost. could be different for gearbox though, i'm not sure. infact, you may be able to make it work in podfarm, i haven't actually tried. hah.

as for running into the mic pre-amps on there.. sounds like a good idea. i've never tried it. it'll definatly work, and perhaps maybe even in stereo too. but with impulses, and most cab emulation, there is already a degree of mic pre-amp emulation, so in effect, you'd be running it through 2 mic pre's.

could be worth a try though. would love to hear what it sounds like, but i've not got my UX8 with me..

thanks,

well, assuming reaper has group channels, pan your 2 mono guitar tracks hard left and right, send them to the group channel, and put effect on said group channel.

if that isn't possible, mix down your hard panned DI guitar tracks, import the file into reaper in stereo (i assume it can do that), and put said effects on channel.

failing that, close reaper, click here, purchase, install, then follow my first set of instructions.

:p

thanks,

i use podfarm now, but essentially the same as gearbox, just an updated look.

indeed, when i use revalver, i run the 2 DI tracks into a group, with revalver, and run each effect in stereo. the bonus being that they have the same sound, and changes are made to both tracks at the same time.

of course, you don't save any CPU time doing this, the plugin is just running the effects twice, one for each channel.

you can feed a stereo signal into podfarm. however, as far as i know, its only possible to have 2 separate effect chains running at once, so that bonus of having the same sound, and the same changes is lost. could be different for gearbox though, i'm not sure. infact, you may be able to make it work in podfarm, i haven't actually tried. hah.

as for running into the mic pre-amps on there.. sounds like a good idea. i've never tried it. it'll definatly work, and perhaps maybe even in stereo too. but with impulses, and most cab emulation, there is already a degree of mic pre-amp emulation, so in effect, you'd be running it through 2 mic pre's.

could be worth a try though. would love to hear what it sounds like, but i've not got my UX8 with me..

thanks,

Well I`ll do some test and I`ll post tonight I`m not use impulsues and with the preamps It work but it takes so much time to fit in the mix at least to me.

I normally quad track and the last time I tried putting gearbox on the group channel it sounded horrible!
haha
I'll have to try that rendering thing out though

When I use quad track I run 2 group channel even I use 1 plugin for each track channel but your pc will :cry: