Genesis

Oh come on now... you fuckers knew I'd do this eventually! ;) I figured if we can have a thread devoted to spice racks, then we can have one about TEH BEAST ABAND EVER! They are the absoultely perfect combination of excellent songwriting, originality, non-wankery, heaviness, melody, etc. Note that the post "Wind and Wuthering" stuff is a DIFFERENT BAND who still showed a bit of brilliance, albeit in a much different paradigm.

Some thoughts:

** NAD, have you absorbed "The Musical Box" yet? Much like most early Genesis, it takes a few listens to reveal its depth... and never gets old/boring. The people who think that only Black Sabbath were playing heavy music in 1970 are wrong.

** Have any of you heard "Supper's Ready" (not the song), the CD where a bunch of unknown bands cover their old stuff? Its quite interesting, especially when the bands give their own interpretations of the songs (i.e., for those in the know, imagine "Back in NYC" with an acoustic first verse and a trombone outro!!!). Pretty cool. Much like the original, it seamlessly goes into FOUR time signatures over less than a minute and still sound perfectly cohesive.

** Last night a friend/convert and I watched A CLOCKWORK ORANGE simultaneous with "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". Seeming a VERY fitting combination (both dark-themed looks at society and modern man, both starring street-thugs, both coming out in the same two-year span), it went along with the film EXCELLENTLY the first 15 minutes, but after that the music gradually proceeded to out-weird the movie (especially disc 2). And when its ACW, that's saying something...

** I have yet to hear their debut, "From Genesis to Revelation". :(

** Little known fact: Anthony Phillips, guitarist on the first two albums who was eventually replaced by the legendary Steve Hackett, went on to release an assload of great, classical-inspired acoustic albums (one of them being all piano)... very good stuff if you are into the Medieval/classical sounding stuff (mostly guitar-based).

BEST ALBUMS:
1) Foxtrot
1) Selling England By the Pound
1) Nursery Cryme
1) The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
1) Trespass
1) Live
7) Wind and Wuthering
8) A Trick of the Tail
9) Duke
10) the rest...

Yes, I'm obsessed. Feel free to point that out. I don't get tired of listening to them... it all keeps getting better and better (especially TLLDoB, which I appreciate more and more each day). If I absoultely had to, I could probably live the rest of my life with a handful of their albums. When I hear the final minute of "Supper's Ready" and the music fades out, I usually just turn the CD player off and sit there in silence because I KNOW that I have nothing in my collection to possibly follow it up with.

But then, after about 5 minutes, I usually put in some more GENESIS. ;)

Black Winter Day said:
** Last night a friend/convert and I watched A CLOCKWORK ORANGE simultaneous with "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". Seeming a VERY fitting combination
So is it true that this actually works with The Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon? Or is that a stoner's urban legend the world over? I know people who swear by it, but I've never tried pairing the two together.

I watched Brother Bear with my kid today. Phil Collins was singing in it. And then we watched a bit of Disney's Tarzan. There he was again!

Peter Gabriel >> Phil Collins

I've been stoned watching Oz and Floyd... it works decently enough, but only a bit more than average (average as in you choose a random CD and play it with a random movie. Stuff like this obviously originates from extreme levels of boredom and too much hash.

Dude...
Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins + Jesus

All I can think of when I think of Genesis is I Can't Dance, it's sill IIIEIIEIEWWREDSDSS to me that they were once a prog band. I like that song you burned me BWD, but I've only listened to it a handful of times.

Peter Gabriel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phil Collins

JayKeeley said:
I watched Brother Bear with my kid today. Phil Collins was singing in it. And then we watched a bit of Disney's Tarzan. There he was again!
This is brilliant, by the way. Like you're shocked to find him 'round every Disney corner. :tickled:

Here, let me give you a FACTOID. :lol:

104983.jpg

Yes, sometime after or during the early 80s Phil replaced the band with spineless automatons and himself with a drum machine and the rest is a progressively worse tragedy. I'll have to try that Clockwork Orange/Lamb pairing, and speaking of Back In NYC...Kevin Gilbert, Jeff Buckley, and Shaun Guerin have all covered the song. What's notable about this? All three are now deceased. :eek:

Black Winter Day said:
Jaykeeley: did you give Nursery Cryme a fair chance? Or did you listen to a few songs, say it sucks and put in some more HoM to beat off to?
No, no, I haven't listened to any HoM in about a month now! I really like Nursery Cryme - remember we were talking about hearing all the influences. It's definitely something that I'd want to let grow on me.

I'm just assuming that at some point in my life, I can put all the CD's I want to listen to regularly in one pile, all the CD's I've yet to listen to in another pile, and the remainder in a box headed for the basement.

Being spoilt for choice sucks. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
I'm just assuming that at some point in my life, I can put all the CD's I want to listen to regularly in one pile, all the CD's I've yet to listen to in another pile, and the remainder in a box headed for the basement.
Remember though, that involves:

1) basically not hearing anything you don't have (assuming you have an assload of CDs)

2) giving EVERYTHING a fair chance

3) assuming that you won't go back to any of the boxed up ones and suddenly discover "Wow! This rules!"... and throwing your entire resolve!

It's a good idea; I've wanted to get rid of roughly 50 CDs I no longer listen to. But will it ever happen? Likely they will just collect dust.