Genesis

ramses

Jan 19, 2004
I was wondering who else besides me is a big Genesis fan. Of course, I'm talking about the 70's material. I myself don't like any albums of theirs after Abacab in 81'. To me, that was the last one I liked...good album, but not great. Also, has anyone been purchasing their remasters? With the bonus material(extra DVD) with videos, promo clips, and live shows of that particular era. My favorite in order are....

Wind and Wuthering
Selling England By the Pound
Nursery Cryme
Trick of the Tail
Foxtrot
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
And Then There Were Three
Tresspass
Duke
Abacab

Finally someone starts a Genesis thread! I know a lot of people think they're overrated, but in my opinion they're one of the most important bands in classic rock and progressive music. Also, I think they were a huge influence on metal. Personally, they're one of my favorite bands. I don't really care for the stuff after Gabriel left, but they still had a few good songs. However, the best stuff in my opinion is:

Selling England By the Pound (Hackett finger-tapping long before Rhodes or Van Halen)
Trespass (White Mountain is an awesome song)
Foxtrot (Supper's Ready; what else needs to be said)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (the Genesis equivalent of The Wall; an amazing, epic, poetic surreal journey; one of the best albums ever recorded in my opinion; and the liner notes in the vinyl are awesome; Gabriel was a genius)

So yes, I definitely am with ramses on this. An amazing band, and deserving of more praise than they're given.

But this is all my opinion.

Finally someone starts a Genesis thread! I know a lot of people think they're overrated, but in my opinion they're one of the most important bands in classic rock and progressive music. Also, I think they were a huge influence on metal. Personally, they're one of my favorite bands. I don't really care for the stuff after Gabriel left, but they still had a few good songs. However, the best stuff in my opinion is:

Selling England By the Pound (Hackett finger-tapping long before Rhodes or Van Halen)
Trespass (White Mountain is an awesome song)
Foxtrot (Supper's Ready; what else needs to be said)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (the Genesis equivalent of The Wall; an amazing, epic, poetic surreal journey; one of the best albums ever recorded in my opinion; and the liner notes in the vinyl are awesome; Gabriel was a genius)

So yes, I definitely am with ramses on this. An amazing band, and deserving of more praise than they're given.

But this is all my opinion.
Yes!! Hackett did way before them! Also, Banks would play guitar on certain songs, studio, and live. And along with the Allman Brothers, and Wishbone Ash, Hackett and Rutherford live, did harmony guitars. When Rutherford did that, Banks would use bass pedals along with his keyboards. And Steve Harris (Maiden) is the sole reason for me being into Genesis. When an old Guitar(1989 issue) magazine asked several great musicains to name their top 5 bands, and favorite albums, Harris stated one, only one. Foxtrot-Genesis. I vaguely knew Gabriel in the early 80's was once the singer, but wrongly assumed their stuff (I was only 10 years at the time)was like the radio hits. I think a lot of people don't realise how different they were from 69-78.

Oh yeah, add Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery,and Cathedral being heavily influenced by them. Magna Carta records put out a Genesis Tribute about 10 years ago called Suppers Ready.

Hmm, interesting... See I kind of always felt Genesis was not agressive enough for me so I never listened to much of their music. I suppose I should check out some of their older music.

Songs like Lamb lies down are good,but I never felt the urge to buy albums.

Finger tapping was actually something Jazz players did to a small degree. I've also seen Chet Atkins (videos) do arpegio sweeps in the mid 60's. Jazz players did this as well. But there is no denying or even comparing to the impact or degree to VanHalen or Rhodes.

Also as a side note, one of the earliest examples I can thing of in heavier music of harmonized theme type guitar work in the mode of Maiden would be Mic Box of Uriah Heep in the early 70's. They were either overdubs or done by Box and Hensley in the studio, I have no idea there.That may preceed Wishbone Ash, I'd have to check to be sure. I am pretty sure they at least preceded Thin Lizzy. There are probably other early bands that did it Im unaware of.

As early as Tresspass(70'-with first guitarist Anthony Phillips) and Nursery Cryme,(71'-Hacketts, and Collins first album in Genesis)they were doing guitar harmonies, along with a little tapping. Check out the song The Knife on their Tresspass album...it's a little on the heavy side. But as you know Razoredge, most 70's prog rock was way more melodic than rhythmic. A few bands such as Rush, Deep Purple, and Uriah Heep were more rhythm minded. I forgot to mention Opeth being into Genesis as well. Almost every song or album title they have is based on the old 70's prog rock bands. On Deliverance, they have an instrumental titled For Absent Friends, which is on the Genesis album Nursery Cryme. And Mikaels main band Camel is influenced by Genesis...sound a bit like them. And some of the members of Camel are on that afformentioned Tribute album Suppers Ready.

I will look into it. theres got to be good reason so many people like them.

*you can just call me raz (amounst other things)...... :lol: saves alot of typing.

It's funny, because a lot of people assumed that Bowie started the theatrical style singer/frontman on stage,and the costumes. But even he has mentioned he liked what Peter Gabriel was doing. And he was doing this before glam rock as well.

The first 2 albums that Collins took over lead singer were superb. I like the next 3 as well...not great, (as the previous 2)but good strong albums. But Phil took too much control after 81'. Tony Banks was before then the main lyricist, and he wrote really great songs, ballads/epics.

The first 2 albums that Collins took over lead singer were superb. I like the next 3 as well...not great, (as the previous 2)but good strong albums. But Phil took too much control after 81'. Tony Banks was before then the main lyricist, and he wrote really great songs, ballads/epics.

I think Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail were mediocre. They were still good albums, but didn't have that Gabriel genius/catchiness.

Speaking of Gabriel, his solo career is very interesting as well. Granted he got a bit poppy and electronic, but it's still good music. If you like Gabriel-era Genesis, check out his first record definitely (it's usually just called Peter Gabriel: 1, but is sometimes referred to as 'Car,' due to the picture of him in a car on the cover). There are some awesome songs on that record:

Solsbury Hill (of course)
Waiting For the Big One (amazing Robert Fripp solo)
Down the Dolce Vita (rockin' song)
Moribund the Burgermeister (very weird, Lamb-esque song)
Humdrum (beautiful ending)
Here Comes the Flood

His later records are good too, I think.

Yeah, I also liked that he had the help of Robert Fripp, and Tony Levin on his albums.

I'm not a big fan but I do like some of their material.

Last year, I got to work one of their reunion tour shows at the Hollywood Bowl. Was pretty awesome.

I've only heard thier radio stuf, I liked Land of Confusion (yes, I heard the Disturbed cover first).

Will definately look into getting some of their older stuff, though.