Genre shelf-life fiasco.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
JayKeeley said:
gothenburg melo-death = 3 month shelf life.

You know which music has the longest shelf life? I would say doom.

NAD said:
Stoner. You can always go back to stoner groups and headbang.
J. said:
Yeah, stoner has a long shelf life. When I'm bored and can't decide what to listen to, stoner is always there and fits the situation.

DOom works to, especially Skepticism and Until Death Overtakes Me.

Honestly I think anything with a direct relation to blues has the best shelf-life, something about it being so simple and just groove oriented. Stoner has the best metal correlation to blues as far as I'm concerned, I've been listening to Corrosion of Conformity, Black Sabbath, and Monster Magnet for years and always pull a Beavis and Butt-head "YESTH!" when I spin those discs, no matter my mood.

Also, Led Zeppelin. I never get tired of them. Highly blues-based, obviously.

I find the atmospheric stuff from Neurosis to be timeless.

In fact Neurosis & Jarboe all of a sudden kicked me in the dick. It's a helluva fine album.

But I also agree with the stoner longevity thing. I can go back to Kyuss anytime and just love the tits out of it.

omg
WHAT THE FUCK IS STONER?
can anyone give the definition to it?
its stupid to call heavy/hard rock bands - "stoner". Also if someone calls Black Sabbath "stoner" he must be stoned.
About best shelf life music: i agree (its not stoner) about 70s heavy rock, hard rock. People always will listen to that stuff, almost all quality bands have 70s influences, and almost every rock/metal musician wants to play 70s music. 70s were the elite for rock music in general.

Stoner just makes it easy to lump any big riff band into one grouping, that's all.

Black Winter Day said:
I hate all music, generally. Except for old Genesis.
This might end up in my signature. :tickled:

yeah, Black Sabbath can't be considered stoner at all. I mean just look at songs like Sweet Leaf or Snowblind. Those guys hated drugs.

J. said:
yeah, Black Sabbath can't be considered stoner at all. I mean just look at songs like Sweet Leaf or Snowblind. Those guys hated drugs.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.....

Trippy music like Pink Floyd has similar shelf life, but I don't like drug music every day it seems. Give me a Marshall stack and some power chords any time you want though.

Ok now we have another definition for stoner : rock music talking about drugs.
And of course drugs were the absolute theme of Black Sabbath's lyrics

And read again the lyrics of Snowblind, maybe then you will understand that it is against drugs.

Other than actual genres, I think sincerity and emotion is what gives music long life. When you can tell that a musician makes music because it's what they are meant to do, it never gets stale.

IOfTheStorm said:
And read again the lyrics of Snowblind, maybe then you will understand that it is against drugs.
What you get and what you see
Things that don't come easily
Feeling happy in my vein
Icicles within my brain

Something blowing in my head
Winter's ice, it soon will spread
Death would freeze my very soul
Makes me happy, makes me cold

My eyes are blind but I can see
The snowflakes glisten on the tree
The sun no longer sets me free
I feel there's no place freezing me

Let the winter sun shine on
Let me feel the frost of dawn
Fill my dreams with flakes of snow
Soon I'll feel the chilling glow

Don't you think I know what I'm doing
Don't tell me that it's doing me wrong
You're the one who's really a loser
This is where I feel I belong

Crystal world with winter flowers
Turns my day to frozen hours
Lying snowblind in the sun
Will my ice age ever come?

----------------------------
I guess it can be open to interpretation, but it sounds like they are enjoying the cocaine to me.

The irony of every single lyric is totally clear (even in the sad music and the way Ozzy sings the song, which is a lot different with the way he sings "Sweet Leaf" whose music is also more uptempo, thus delivering a different song mood)

I would say you had a decent argument, except the fact that Black Sabbath has near zero recollection of recording Volume 4 and ended up destroying the mansion / studio they used by the end, so it's safe to say they were having a grand old time all coked up.