Geoff Tate assaults Wilton & Rockenfield on stage?

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
I really hope this story isn't true. It's so far unconfirmed and seems somewhat unsubstantiated (where's the video evidence, police reports, why wouldn't Tate be arrested? Can the translation and Brazilian blog be trusted?) but something happening like this (sans knife) could be plausible. Here's the det's:

From Metal Sludge:
Operation Knifecrime? Geoff Tate is alleged to have attacked his band mates in Brazil with a knife!

A recent article was published out of Brazil HERE that alleges a incident that took place with band members Geoff Tate, Michael Wilton and Scott Rockenfield. The article goes on to say, that Tate pulled a knife on his band members before their set. We at Metal Sludge cannot confirm this, but there have been related posts regarding "the incident".

A translation from Portugese to English is noted here.
Something very strange happened in the recent passage of Queensrÿche for our country. The band played in Sao Paulo, HSBC Brazil, last April 14. Before the show, Geoff Tate, lead singer of the group, caught other members plotting his removal on the set.

By the time Tate retired and was silent, but during the soundcheck, he violently assaulted guitarist Michael Wilton, knocking down the musician. Then Tate armed with a knife broke up drummer Scott Rockenfield, but was restrained by security guards of the house, who, along with the crew and some Brazilians who watched the soundcheck, witnessed the whole shack.

Dissatisfied with what happened, Wilton locked himself in the dressing room saying he would no longer play, but was convinced by the production of the event to do the show.

This was also reported on Metal Talk. It has also been blogged on Rock Pages. We say, where there is smoke, there's fire. Summon the lead singers, we're guessing QR is headed for a heartbreak.

Now this past weekend at M3, a Sludge insider was on hand, and back stage. His report about Queensryche is as follows.

There seems to be some truth to that Queenryche thing. They put on a very stiff, cold performance at M3 this past weekend. Wilton looked less than happy to be there, and there was zero interaction between any of the band members. Tate seemed disgruntled when the reaction from the crowd for the first 2 songs was less than enthusiastic. ( a new one, and a song off Promised Land). The end of the show was what I found interesting- Tate left the stage before the end of the last song and did not return. He made motions to the crowd and almost insinuated that he was saying goodbye. The band did a bow without Tate and left. Like I said, a totally flat and emotionless show.

The M3 performance sounds 100% better then their show I went to last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
and then this? you mean trying to pump up the really tired looking crowd?

It seems some people didn't took lightly his remarks.

Also
Then, on May 29, an announcement was posted on several metal sites that Wilton, Rockenfield, Lundgren and Jackson were forming the band Rising West with Crimson Glory singer Todd La Torre, and would play material from Queenryche's first five albums at Seattle's Hard Rock Cafe on June 8-9. Rising West also intends to enter the recording studio this summer.

The signs are out there.

This whole situation has made me both uneasy and excited. Tate's long been an influence of mine, both for his lyrics and insane vocals of old. But he's lost a step and his attitudes toward both metal and the Rocklahoma crowd, which was a casual rock crowd, rub me the wrong way.

On the other hand, with this new project, Todd's a brilliant vocalist and sounds better than Tate has in nearly 15 years. I wonder how the writing will turn out on this new project because everything I've read indicates that Eddie and Michael (as of late) have been pretty lackluster writers. I really hope I'm wrong about that last statement.

You know, all this stuff really pisses me off. I used to have QR ranked as my all-time favorite band. But they have just gone completely off the rails since Chris DeGarmo left. Kelly Gray was horrifically bad in all respects and if what Slater wrote on the Breakdown room is true, I really think it is time to call it a day. The legacy is tainted beyond repair, at least let it lie with some final dignity.

You know, all this stuff really pisses me off. I used to have QR ranked as my all-time favorite band. But they have just gone completely off the rails since Chris DeGarmo left. Kelly Gray was horrifically bad in all respects and if what Slater wrote on the Breakdown room is true, I really think it is time to call it a day. The legacy is tainted beyond repair, at least let it lie with some final dignity.

they should have went out with AMERICAN SOLDIER then. i'd rather they do 1 more album now to try and end on a high note instead on DEDICATED TO CHOAS

The Rising West band project sounds interesting. We all know Todd La Torre can sing but will he stick around long enough to get heard on an album? He's casting this in the light as being a side project, but other voices active in the QR camp say its a serious band. The could move on without La Torre and get a new singer. Hell, Wilton's other side band Soulbender changed singers after they released a new album way back when.

I think a Geoff Tate solo record is also a pipe dream. The guy simply can't be taken seriously anymore when he is consistently asked about it and its still being worked on. Okay DtC was the solo record. Thats out of the way. :heh:

It is cool to see them playing some of the old classics off of Warning and the EP. I'd check out the show if they came to town (hint hint)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrLBIIDW98&feature=relmfu[/ame]

I think it's the end of QR as we know it...
But Rising West could finally produce some quality QR material fans have been craving for without an obstacle called Tate.

The only problem is, Tate was the only thing moving the band forward. The recording of Mindcrime 2 was a clusterfuck because none of the band could write. Wilton and Eddie were too busy screwing around.

The question is, without Tate, can they still write? And write something decent at that?