Getting a handle on sub bass? Discuss.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
It's difficult to control, especially when you can't really hear it. A good worker never blames his tools, but let's face it.. I need a sub.

It's not until you hear your mix on a stereo that has a huge woofer or something that you can really hear what's going on down there.

I recently found that a lot of my mixes are really sub-heavy, and I'm definitely going to have to readdress them, especially when compared to commercial pro mixes.

The thing I've noticed is that pro mixes tend to have a really thick low end, but still have tight control over the sub (some mixes I've analysed on the subject barely have any sub bass at all, but still have a HUGE low end respectively). Is it literally just a case of hi-passing a bit higher?

Thoughts? Ideas? Tips?

EDIT: I've adjusted the mix now, but the subject is still worth discussing as I obviously still have much to learn in this area!

I highpass to 70-80, remember that it's not cutting everything under the frequency you set it all, it rolls off gradually so you can put it quite a bit higher and it will still retain a decent amount of the lower end.

Can't really comment on the mix as i'm listening on cheap earbuds at work but I usually hi-pass (or at least lo-shelf) my entire mix at around 30Hz to remove extreme low end rumble and then apply some multi-band compression on the master buss to level off the extreme low end. Depending on the mix, style and tuning of the particular track I'll start with the 0-120Hz range and adjust from there. The trick is playing with the hi-pass and multi-band comp frequencies to get the lows to gel. Not sure if this will help you or not but this method works for me.

The mix sounds really good to me dude?
I'm listening through AKG k702's which are supposed to have a really extended frequency range.
Obviously it's not quite the same as a sub, but i don't hear any problems with the low subs.

Find the snare very machine like on the brakes. Other than that sounds awesome, I hope I could work with talented musicians like those who played that song...
@Fandus: I find high passing 70-80 to be very very agressive, at least in the Eq´s I tend to use. I high pass at 40 Hz before compressing + loudness

I'm listening on ATH-M40 closed headphones, so no sub.

Anyways, I usually high pass at 30-40Hz, and use the multiband compressor to control 150 and lower.

I suppose different EQ's have different slopes/Q to them etc but the consensus seems to be around the same mark it seems. FWIW, the mix there has the bass hi-passed at 50hz. I found this was the sweet spot for the low tuning I was in. Any lower and it didn't seem to make much difference to the sound, and if it were a higher tuning I'd bring it down some more but being that low made a huge huge amount "woof" in the subs.

@ acappa: This mix is my band, thanks for the comments man. Snare is a little robotic in places yeah but I'm working on that haha.