Getting a "Post-Metal" Mix

Gustavo-Plane

New Metal Member
May 2, 2014
Hey guys!
So, I'm starting the recording procces of my band's ep and there's a lot going on with this hot stuff haha but, i'm getting major troubles with the guitar tones. Let me explain it: I'm looking for a Sludge/Post Metal guitar tone ala Isis, Pelican, Neurosis but with free vst like lepou or TSE. Also, how do i mix all the instruments perfectly? all the volume levels and stuff. I know that i'm asking to much haha but I don't know what to do. Any help will be appreciated :D:D:D

Here's some examples of what i'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EhHqqzJFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHCXbqoQt7k

Uhm BTW: My guitar its Squier Telecaster Custom in Drop D Tuning.

i've been considerating that but i don't know, something tells me that i can do it. I'm asking primarily for tips and some advices for it. I think that i should post this.

It's my first home recording ever and it's kind of my band's style. If you could give me some tips to a better mix it will be great! Thanks!

Btw, I used Lepou for the guitars, mainly the Le456 with an orange impulse from fearcomplexmusic, also i used addictive drums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guitars sound pretty good, bass too (like mentioned above). Drums are really bad, not up to par with the rest. That is what needs to be taken care of.

Don't know man, with your drums... There is way too much filtering going on there on cymbals and snare. Did you sample them from other songs or something? I'd suggest you'd either get a proper room to record drums or get drummix beta if you want to go the free route. And really spend a lot of time programming them.

I appreciate all the support and the tips guys, it motivates me even more haha. The drums were kinda sampled haha my bad, but this is just a demo and it will be updated and upgraded very soon for my band's EP and i was a newbie with addictive drums as for programing the drum tracks. And yes, i struggled so much with the drums :erk: right now i'm using Superior Drummer and certainly i love it As for the guitars and bass, i think it souds great but certainly it will be improved for future projects.

get drummix beta if you want to go the free route. And really spend a lot of time programming them.

That drummix really intrigates me, it works like the mixer of superior drummer? :err:

I have no experience with superior drummer. All I know it is a free sounding virtual drumkit with drumsamples from a crappy kit but it has a lot of vibe. The key with programming drums is spending a lot of time on timing and articulation on every single hit to get it just right or get a e-kit and record the midi.

That's a good option too! Here in Venezuela, the studios are quite expensive and the economy here doesn't help that much but i'll considerate to buy an e-kit ASAP or at least till' i got the money haha Thanks Guys for the tips and advices, sooner or later i'll upload the improves of the ep.

welcome to the forum! just want to add that mix feedback requests should be posted in the practice room subforum.