Getting back into recording. Interface/mic pre help

Tercero

Mar 22, 2011
Oneonta, NY
So I'm getting back into doing some recording after taking a few years off and switching gears musically, and since technology/gear moves so quickly I could really use some advice. I'm running PT LE and have an 002, and in the past used a Universal Audio Solo 610 and liked it (I sold it a while back when funds were tight). I've never really been thrilled with the mic pre's on the 002 and am looking at potentially swapping out my 002 for something else...and possibly picking up another mic pre. I'm not going to be tracking any drums, and not really doing metal vocals. The singer I'm working with sounds a lot like Maynard James Keenan....so I'm looking for a warm pre that'll do his voice justice. I'd like to keep it under $1,500 USD. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any of you have studios in Central NY or Western MA, shoot me a PM. I'm working on a 10 song project and am looking for a studio to track drums in, and possibly have the same place mix/master the album.

you could do the blacklion mod to your 002 and that would get you better pres and clock/conversion.

if you want mic pre reccomendations i would go for a great river mp1nv at your budget and look for a used a/d converter and let that be your master clock as well.