getting label work?

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
For those of you who do or have had work for labels, even if they are small ones - how did you get into it? I've been doing local bands only for too long now and I'm really feeling ready to bite into something a bit bigger. Did they just come to you?

any advice is appreciated.

It's definitely who you know. And if you have a reputation that anyone cares about, basically. Find a band you want to work with and maybe try to develop a rapport with them. When it comes time to do their next release they may keep you in mind and tell their label that. Another way is to work with a band that gets signed to a label because of the CD they did with you. I've gotten a few jobs so far from the same label just because they liked what I did with a band they signed after I worked with them.

What 006 said. My band has always been given a budget and then picked who to work with. You'll definitely need some releases under your belt before labels will start pushing stuff your way. Your best bet is to try to develop the bands you think are great and then help them shop it. I think Dave Otero has been very successful at this.

Yeah, what everyone above me said. I got my first label this summer, and then I've got another job from the same label for January and another one (same label :lol:) for March.
It's a small label, so the owner listens to every single release they do, and he specially liked my production on the first job, and my rates are cheap so they keep calling me.

I really hope I get a job from a friends band that's in a BIG BIG label (no names yet), but that's because i know the guys and they like my production jobs. So, answering to your question, getting label work is directly related to your contact list ;).

Cheers!

the way it happened to me was i recorded quite a few bands that got signed after they worked with me
then i used that connection to get in with some labels / people who know labels

eventually one of them (label owner) became a manager who works for me, specifically in getting me label projects
and he is in connection with all sorts of other labels

and after a while, your name will just spread by word of mouth

the way it happened to me was i recorded quite a few bands that got signed after they worked with me
then i used that connection to get in with some labels / people who know labels

eventually one of them (label owner) became a manager who works for me, specifically in getting me label projects
and he is in connection with all sorts of other labels

and after a while, your name will just spread by word of mouth

word. I was hoping you would chime in on this thread.

this is all what I figured - just sucks cause there are very very few bands around here that have the potential to get signed(no matter how much magic I work on their records) and the ones that do tend to be snooty assholes.

I'll just keep chugging away I guess.