Making the step up to label work.

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Alright, so basically I'm looking at trying to start working with some indie labels in Australia. Two of the bands I'm working with later in the year are on this label and thus I am assuming it will be getting released by them, however it was the bands decision to work with me as I'm pretty sure they only have a distribution deal at this stage so they are paying for it themselves.

I think my best option at this stage is to just do the absolute best job I can for these projects and just try to win their attention that way. I'm curious to those of you here who do work with labels how things got started for you.

I know Joey got picked up by Rise through the work he did for The Devil Wears Prada, which is a fantastic story of success but I'm not quite that good haha. Fortunately though I'm the only engineer in the state who is out of their bedroom and working on what I like to call Rise Records-core which everyone seem to be playing at the moment, so I've got a bit of a niche. There's other engineers who focus more on REAL METAL but they flat out to refuse those bands as its more of a hobby for them.

What I'm focusing on at the moment is updating my portfolio as quite frankly the mixes I have up at the moment suck and then finishing off my website, then perhaps emailing a bunch of different indie labels and just letting them know I exist.

One other thing I have going for me is that I have residential facilities which I know is extremely important for getting bands out of the city to come and work with you.

So yeah advice guys? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

sounds like you have it pretty much figured out.

stay organized and stay professional. always do what you say you are going to do. go above and beyond what you offer typically as a service.

and the most important thing to can do is continue to be positive and inspired. :)

Haha I've got the positive part down, I'm loving life at the moment!

Portfolio is updating currently... god its so easy to forget about actually running the business and not just working in the business when you're busy as all hell.

I've also come to the conclusion that my mixes need to get 100% better immediately, I'm sort of currently cruising along on the fact that because I'm the only one locally that does this sort of stuff, I'm the best at it. Now I'm trying to expand well shit needs to get better and fast!

I'm also in the middle of major studio upgrades, I'm going to HDnative and getting a c24 and doing a huge amount of treatment and putting bambo rugs in my control room and tracking room as they are currently carpeted, once that happens professional photos are happening :D

Stupid recording studio, its a fucking money pit.