Getting that nu-metal sound...

Jun 2, 2005
Okay, so i started mixing a very cool band, they have 8 songs ready and im setting everything up right now.
Question though, they are looking for a smooth, well rounded, nu-metal for their upcoming album, i wonder how do you obtain that sound?

Im thinking.. a smooth and fat bass, sampled kit.. but the guitars? i cant get them to sound as smooth as i would want it to.. im sort of looking for that typical bloodbath/hypocrisy/entombed sound, that dirty sound.. i have 8 tracks available and 4 DI tracks just in case.

Everything is recorded allready, so i cant reverse anything or turn back time... a odd question i know, but if there is someone out there who has tips and tricks/advice, i'd be on my way.

Cheers!

I was thinking...rectifier w/o a TS and the combination of sm57, m160 and another LDC for the room...

then you said "Hypocrisy, Entombed.." which isn't really NuMetal IMO nor do the guitars sound NuMetal... anyway...in that case I'd probably drop the roommic and go with a highly distorted recto on tube recs, low mid and no TS....

Reamping.com will be up soon ;)

Yeah Lasse, it's how they explained it to me, if you know the band neaera and their latest album, a bit of that guitar sound.. it has that seem sound/character as the before mentioned bands in the guitars, the rest needs to be as.. uhmm, clean as nu metal if you could put it that way... really polished.

What's the deal with re-amping.com Lasse? i have not been keeping up really.. if it's what i think it is, cool!

Maybe add some sort of fuzz to the guitar tracks? It seems like with some new metal the bass adds a lot of the definition and the guitars are oversaturated and kinda crappy sounding and muddy, imo. If you have tracks that sound good already, maybe add some sort of distortion plug and add just a hint of dirt to them perhaps? Maybe try to smear them up a bit by adding some muddy frequencies? I didn't check out that band you referred to because I'm lazy.

Oy - can't anyone read?

:loco:

Piccolo sample and hope they tracked a warwick? lol
I know back in the Nu metal days is when i really started seeing people using BBE sonic maximizers in their guitar racks, maybe try throwing one of those in the fx loop on a dual rect. and boost it a little more than you normally would. You'll get that mid scoop and a lot of extra crap in there.