getting snare to crack, pop whatever you wana call it??

I get a lot of the crack from the bottom snare mic. I usually boost a lot around 5k and 200. It will sound weird when played by itself but great in the mix as long as you have it a little lower than your top snare mic. If you don't have good seperation on your kit though, you may need to gate it pretty hard since this is only to get a crack in the snare and will hurt the sound of your toms usually if they are picked up a lot in the bottom mic. I usually compress the bottom snare mic a little harder than the top too.

how do you position your bottom mic, i put it prettydamn close to the actual snares, like im micing an amp. I don't get any bleed at all, you can barely hear the rest of the drums. so im curious how you mic the bottom

Matt Smith said:
API preamps are heavenly on snare. The first time I used one, I almost jumped out of my chair...that was the biggest difference I've ever heard a preamp make on anything.
Also, 2 or 3 ms seems fast to me for attack time on the comp, but whatever works!

Yeah the API's are great pre-amps I have 4 of em, the 312's, just a straight pre-amp with a pad which is most of the time on cause the pre's are SO Friggin hot...... I yi yi!!! I love them on drums and guitars - actually everything. You cant go wrong with API, I actually Sold my Single channel tube Avalon (hated it!!!) to get the API's.:headbang:

Oh and make sure your phase is correct too that can flatten the shit out of your snare tone. I always use the Snare top the snare bottom and overheads to achieve my snare sound - obviously with minimal compression - I personally dont like the Too much compession sound, it seems to kill the tonality and "natural-ness" of the snare.