getting snare to crack, pop whatever you wana call it??

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
just amy good tips to get that snare crack i cant seem to make my snare sound as good as everything i hear out there and im even using samples :cry:

seems like im missing some compression and eq tricks or something ..Please help!!

Try using an Audix i5 mic, try using a Neve 1073 or equivalent plugin. Also, if your snare is lacking bottom end, try Waves MaxxBass. I still wonder if Andy used that plugin on "Doomsday Machine" for the snare...

Besides having good tracks to work with, you can try setting up the compresser so it lets the attack through then really straps down on the rest. This technique is the a common thing.

OzNimbus said:
Make sure the drum has been in the studio at least 24 hours before you record it.

Ehm, maybe it's like when you get a new pet. Like a cat or something.
It has to get confortable with the environment and feel at home.

:loco:

chadsxe said:
Besides having good tracks to work with, you can try setting up the compresser so it lets the attack through then really straps down on the rest. This technique is the a common thing.

do you wana do this on a copy of track so you get a mix of both??

Andy Sneap said:
what the fuck are you on about?

No clue here either LOL...

I've been wondering though, have you ever used MaxxBass on a snare? Or instead, is there something going on with your mic/EQ technique that gets the killer chest-hitting low end on the "Doomsday Machine" snare? Thanks.

im assuming its so the wood can get used to the climate changes or w/e but i dont see how that would make a noticible difference?

A drummer who can hit the drum helps. Aside from that though I've found that nothing will save drum sounds like an spl Transient Designer. I use it religiously now that I actually have one.

Throw away my 57 and get a realistic Mic right???

no im really looking for some mixing tips like eq compression stuff you can do on samples and stuff too..........

Kazrog said:
No clue here either LOL...

I've been wondering though, have you ever used MaxxBass on a snare? Or instead, is there something going on with your mic/EQ technique that gets the killer chest-hitting low end on the "Doomsday Machine" snare? Thanks.

You really wanna know, eh? Me too, that snare is my favorite snare tone I've heard on any album.