getting snare to crack, pop whatever you wana call it??

Anyway, back on the original subject, head type, wether or not it's mounted correctly, tuning, muting options, mic choice (i5 has a great transient response), mic position, stick type, preamp, and most of all, the drummer will effect the snare sound. I just find it easier to achive a good snare sound when the drum has had a chance to sit in the room for a day.

-0z-

A snare that cracks acoustically basically = Hard hitting drummer + Muting ring + Heavy sticks + New skins.

But even that generally doesn't get as much 'crack' as you'd want in a rock/metal mix. It's always important to remember that we're doing an electronic representation of what a kit sounds like. Our job is to make it sound better than real life :). This is where the wonderful world of compression and transient design help us!

i had a band come in and for the life of me i couldnt get that drummer to kill that snare....they were a begginer type group but he kept saying that the snare was low, compression helped but not alot, so alot of it has to do with how the drummer hits the snare ie hitting skin with a rim. i am not a big fan of using samples but with some drummers you have no choice, i just got a yamaha sub kick and i cant wait to us it on my next project.

I mic the bottom and top, the bottom mic picks up the "distored" snares to make it sound like the snares are actually on. and the top mic gets the tone of the drum, if you havent done that try that. and obviously do the compression and other things. Maybe this is a given but no one has said mic the bottom yet

Anyway the crack is not not the sound that the drummer hears, but that's what people away from the drumkit hear.
Have you ever tried sitting on the the drum "throne" and hear the sound of the snare? you won't hear the typical crack you hear away from the kit.
So if you want a lot of crack you need even a little bit of the sound coming from the overheads.
Just top and bottom mic won't give you so much crack if you tune the snare fat.
if you tune it too much tight it will crack but it will sound weak, half way is good.
I prefer tune it a little bit fat, record both top and bottom mics, add a little bit of oh's and use this as a sample blended with the snare track.
When I mix I try too remove from the oh's the snare so I have a better separation.
Here you'll find good tips about snare, just search the page for "snare compression"

flhctroll said:
On the Top & Bottom Micing, Do you guys run them together into a comp/limiter or each on their own?

Lately I've been doing them separately because I've been digging using a much faster attack on the bottom snare comp to really bring out the sizzle of the snares. On the top I use a slower attack time to let the transient through before the compressor clamps down.

broken81 said:
Throw away my 57 and get a realistic Mic right???

no im really looking for some mixing tips like eq compression stuff you can do on samples and stuff too..........

if you're using samples, that may be your first problem...nothing is gonna get a good crack sound from a snare if you don't have that to begin with (atleast in my experience)

OzNimbus said:
Make sure the drum has been in the studio at least 24 hours before you record it.

if you dont understand this think of how a guitar goes out of tune in cold or hot weather, the same is for a drum warm temps loosen the head to make it flat and cold temps tighten it to make it sharp therefore fucking up your sound, letting the drum get sit in the same temp for a while and then tuning does make a difference

kaomao said:
Anyway the crack is not not the sound that the drummer hears, but that's what people away from the drumkit hear.
Have you ever tried sitting on the the drum "throne" and hear the sound of the snare? you won't hear the typical crack you hear away from the kit.
So if you want a lot of crack you need even a little bit of the sound coming from the overheads.
This isn't 100% true. you cant say that the drummer cant tell a good sounding snare from a bad sounding snare on a recording. The crack from a drummers point of view only sounds different in the sense that the snares themselves are heard, and the audience CANT hear that the same. But its not like the audience hears a tom when the drummer hears a snare.

Thedeloshimself said:
This isn't 100% true. you cant say that the drummer cant tell a good sounding snare from a bad sounding snare on a recording. The crack from a drummers point of view only sounds different in the sense that the snares themselves are heard, and the audience CANT hear that the same. But its not like the audience hears a tom when the drummer hears a snare.

I didn't mean that anyway.... I didn't mean the drummer can't tell a a good sounding snare, read better.
I meant that the crack that you hear away from the kit is more pronunced compared to what you hear sitting on drums chair.
If not tell me why a lot of producers to get a lot of crack on the snare use room mics?
Listen to Andy's production: you don't hear so much crack as on the Black Album snare, that's because Andy prefers a better separation, so you don't hear a lot of crack.
For example our Oznimbus's recordings have a lot of crack because he likes having the snare more present in the oh's, so basically he doesn't try to remove the snare from the oh's.
Anyway I'm God so why are you judging my thoughts!

hahaha ok God well maybe you should read better. I clearly said not 100% true. and i also NEVER said soley mic the snare drum. obviously you need OH's. A room mic is nice but its not necessary to mic metal drums. All i said was a snare doesnt sound completely different to someone infront of the drums as opposed to behind them :worship:

Thedeloshimself said:
hahaha ok God well maybe you should read better.
Hey give respect to God :lol::lol:

Thedeloshimself said:
All i said was a snare doesnt sound completely different to someone infront of the drums as opposed to behind them :worship:

I do think it sounds a lot different when you sit on the drum chair (or whatever you call it) or when you stay 1 or 2 meters away from the kit, that's what I meant.
You hear more bottom end sitting on the drums.
The guy that can't have a good crack on the snare should try sitting on the drums and hear how it sounds, cause both top and bottom mic will capture that sound in that position.
Maybe he stays away from the kit and hear a good sounding snare with crack, and when he finished recording and hit the play button he has a muddy snare with a lot of "oomph".