Getting that robotic Cher - "Believe" style vocal effect...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've been messing around with some auto tuning stuff trying to get this effect and I'm getting there but not quite as well as I'd like... I've tried ReaTune (doesn't do a great job of auto-tuning, there's pretty much no parameters to change), Melodyne (can't figure out how to get this to auto tune, only manual correction...help?) and Waves Tune (favourite so far, let's me tweak a bunch of stuff and does a pretty good job)...

Is the best way to do this sort of thing via manual tuning? Seems pretty fucking time consuming!

Also, how would you guys go about getting that Cynic style vocal effect going on? I know they used Digitech hardware FX that were controlled manually by a MIDI keyboard to do it live and on the album... Any plugins that do a good job of replicating it?

there is a free plugin called Gsnap. It doesn't do the best job at autotuning, but it does this effect quite nicely. I have even experimented with running 2 instances to augment the effect, and had pretty cool results.

if you get antares auto tune there a bunch of vids on youtube explaining how to do this effect

this one covers it I think

I'm not sure how helpful that will be if you dont have antares auto tune but I hope you get something out of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
From http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_process_vocal_tracks.htm

Q) How do i get vocal effects like on Cher's "Believe"? I heard it was done with a Vocoder.

A) Nope. It was done with a pitch/intonation processor, like Antares AutoTune. You get that effect by "abusing" the settings. You tell autotune you are singing only Ab and and Eb notes and you sing F and C notes. Auto tune will bend your vocal notes to the closest selected pitch giving that "yodel-like" sound