auto tune, or melodyne

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
Im looking into pitch correction software. I`m only able to afford one or the other. I`m currently leaning towards melodyne.

basically I just want to do some transparent tuning of vocals, and bass. I`m pretty sure that melodyne is up to the task, but are there any significant reasons to buy antares auto tune instead?

thanks fer yo time fellow sneapsters :Smokin: :kickass:

The whole "auto" part of autotune is undeniably appealing, as well as the fact that by many accounts the only way to use Melodyne without potential delay problems is to use it standalone, importing the files into it and then importing them back into the session after tuning, which = PAIN IN MY FUCKING NUTS :Smug:

try Waves Tune

same layout as Melodyne but with the "auto" part if thats what you're after. I prefer tuning manually. Works great on vocals, you can tweak the hell out of so many different parameters that its almost impossible to have the finished results sound artifical unless thats what you want. It works just fine in PT ... just add as an insert on your vocal track and you can then bounce the fixed vocal to a new track and then just nudge it back where it needs to be or just check how much delay it has in samples and place your new audio ahead that far after bounce (in PT its Alt + H and then enter in number of samples)

I can't say for sure if its better than Melodyne or not, which is why I suggest giving it a try ;)

hmm. I`m a little skeptical of "auto" tuning something, I would prefer to be able to do it manually in graph mode. I`m attracted to the price of melodyne, but I could see that having to edit and bounce the takes would be a pain in the ass.

okay, so would the antares auto tune evo be sufficient for my purposes?

Waves Tune also allows to edit manually to a graph and has the piano roll keys on the left to match your pitch ... I should have mentioned that in my other post also ;)

yeah i was looking at the waves tune plug, and it looks pretty cool, and has decent reviews. however its a little out of my price range. I guess its time to open up an old project and have a go with the demos!

I have used both quite a bit, and I prefer Melodyne by a lot. I don't use the standalone, I use melodyne plugin.

And you don't have any trouble with latency? There was a fairly big thread about it recently where a lot of people (including Joey) said pretty much the only way to use it was standalone in the extremely tedious way I described...

I use melodyne (standalone version but linked to nuendo so you don't actually have to import files out of your project) and I honestly can't imagine recording/mixing vocals without it. Pretty good with bass too.
I've never used wave tune or the newest versions of autotune so I don't know how it compares.

I use melodyne (standalone version but linked to nuendo so you don't actually have to import files out of your project)

Ooh, I didn't know one could do this - how does it work exactly? And is it only compatible with Cubendo, or could I do it in Reaper?

I'm running Melodyne Studio 3.2 or something, I do all my pitch correction in stand alone though and reimport back into my DAW so I have no latency issues. Never tried using Melodyne Bridge or Rewire to run it inside my DAW.

You can't buy Essential on it's own, it's bundled with random other shit but Melodyne Uno would probably cover you fine for just straight up vocal and bass correction.

is there a noticeable delay with the melodyne plug?

None to my ears. You have to record the audio into the plugin much like autotune graphic mode, only it's much easier to tune/edit once it's there.

And you don't have any trouble with latency? There was a fairly big thread about it recently where a lot of people (including Joey) said pretty much the only way to use it was standalone in the extremely tedious way I described...

As I mentioned, I've never had a problem except with really long sessions (eleven minutes plus) where I will get errors occasionally on import. But in that case I just have to re-capture the audio and it's normally fine. That's not really a latency problem. In a normal session I have no trouble.

Also, I trust all of yo. Haha, you don't have to give it the Joey stamp of approval. :D

I should mention I haven't tried EVO or Waves tune.

Ooh, I didn't know one could do this - how does it work exactly? And is it only compatible with Cubendo, or could I do it in Reaper?

You basically have both programs (nuendo and melodyne) open and they are linked. You use it as an insert effect and the audio is transferred in melodyne where you do all the editing you want. When you play the song in nuendo it automatically plays the edited audio from melodyne.

As far as I know it works with all programs. I haven't tried it with Reaper though. I think there's a demo you could try.

And btw, I also don't have problems with latency. It does need a little more processing power/memory than average though so I have some crackling audio in big projects. I don't have a very powerful PC though and it's not setup strictly for recording so that also plays a big role...most people shouldn't have a problem.

Hmm, I would say almost certainly not with all the extra harmonic information in there, you'd probably have better luck tuning the DI's (or just tuning the guitar :D)