waves tune lt vs melodyne

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
ok im about to get a waves bundle and they come with waves tune lt and my question is if i am getting the bundle with the waves tune should i also spend an extra $250 on the melodyne plug in.

i don't neccesarily mind spending the money but at the same token if the waves tune lt is just as good as far as auto tuning the voice goes then i can spend the $250 on something else.

so i would appreciate any feedback on both and/or either as far as how they compare to each other. keep in mind i need them in a week for me to start mixing a project with vocals so i may need some autotune.

I personally much prefer Waves Tune to Melodyne. Melodyne can't autotune anything, you have to manually drag the notes to where they should be (at least as far as I know?). Wave Tune Lt though is missing a few really awesome parameters that you can adjust in the full Waves Tune plugin that can really make a difference in how realistic or artificial the tuning sounds.

Anyone know how to actually AUTOTUNE a vocal line with Melodyne? After I've read the section I want to tune with the plugin, I can't find any option to automatically adjust the notes to a certain key signature or whatever...

i'm not concerned with the "auto" part i mean i would rather have a bit of control over it. the vocal tracks are not too off but at the same time i hate hearing pro recordings and hearing the auto tune. i would rather go for the one which has more control over making it sound realistic as opposed to obvious autotune. but thanks for the input. i mean i know that the waves lt is very good i know a few people who use it but i hear melodyne being thrown around a lot so i was wondering if it's worth the $ upgrade.

Melodyne doesn't have an autotune option in the same sense that most plugins of this type do, but it's easy enough to select everything and double click. I haven't heard about or used the Waves plugin, but Melodyne seems pretty good. It gives you a lot of control over different aspects of the audio than just the pitch. I was trying to mess with it a while back, but I couldn't get the bridge to work right, so I didn't really get to try it. The Waves plugin is probably pretty good, as they make good plugins, but I haven't heard anything about it.

You can manually manipulate most things in Waves Tune same as Melodyne. I think you will be okay with Waves Tune for a while at least. If you decide you need some of the extra options Melodyne has down the road then you can pick it up later...

Does anyone here like Autotune? I've never used Waves Tune or Melodyne, but I've used Autotune 4 a few times with fantastic and totally transparent results

I like Autotune. It takes a little tweaking depending on what you're working with, but it's the industry standard for a reason.

My only complaint with melodyne is that it's a bitch to get that totally fucked up Cher sound. :lol:

Haha, agreed. I haven't gotten that result yet either, I do hiphop too so they kinda want that sound... But anyway, I find Melodyne a great program, user friendly and quite simple if you ask me. I have an Autotune certification, but frankly, I don't care for it... Haven't tried Waves.

I have melodyne and autotune.....I almost never use autotune. It's good for just throwing it on a track under auto, but for actual tuning/graphic editing I can't imagine using anything but melodyne...as far as the waves one..I heard it's awesome, but never used it.

I have Melodyne. I prefer it to Autotune personally. I used Autotune in the past and it gets great results but I have found that Melodyne does what I need by just double clicking on the notes that are off. Its also very realistic. You can drag notes pretty far and it still sounds pretty realistic.