Melodyne Editor vs. Auto-tune

Anybody ever try this?

I exported a vocal with Melodyne Editor on it (Fully tuned)
Re-imported it and inserted Auto-tune on the insert and noticed that Auto-tune freaks out trying to knock notes into place that are already Pitch Perfect.

Is this because 'Auto' Correction mode sucks on vocals compare to 'Graphical' Correction mode on Auto-tune?

mmmmh interesting! But have you guys used the Melodyne Editor with DNA? ou can open up entire chords and retune each string.

I Just find Auto-tune in Graphical mode complicated.

the dna gimmick is cool... but it doesn't really seem as good as "getting the right take".

most workflows are complicated... after a while, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

but then again, i guess anything is more complicated than just slapping a plugin on a track. ;)

I don't see how you can find graphical mode complicated. Autotune was really really easy to learn how to use if you ask me.

Also I am with Seth, if you are gonna use melodyne I would only use it for stuff like bass, but I find my self using autotune for that stuff too.

I think the only reason I keep melodyne with DNA around is when I have to open up old stuff to remix for a label or something and I realize that back when I tracked it my ears were not as fine tuned like they are now and I can pull up melodyne and fix it to an extent.

You have to be careful when tuning guitars like that. They can get really phasey and all attack seems to get lost (in my experiences)

I'm honestly finding AutoTune to be such a recognizable sound these days (and not just the overused, rap/cher style effect, but the actual sound change that happens even when vocals are "transparently" tuned) that I'm using Melodyne for vocal tuning more and more.

I'm honestly finding AutoTune to be such a recognizable sound these days (and not just the overused, rap/cher style effect, but the actual sound change that happens even when vocals are "transparently" tuned) that I'm using Melodyne for vocal tuning more and more.

Interesting Jeff, I find Melodyne DNA very Transparent on Vocals compared to Auto-tune myself.

Am i really the only person who thinks Melodyne is way easier to use than Autotune?

Anybody ever try this?

I exported a vocal with Melodyne Editor on it (Fully tuned)
Re-imported it and inserted Auto-tune on the insert and noticed that Auto-tune freaks out trying to knock notes into place that are already Pitch Perfect.

Is this because 'Auto' Correction mode sucks on vocals compare to 'Graphical' Correction mode on Auto-tune?

I have also tried what you are trying to do. When you say freak out, are you referring to the in between notes, the pitch drift leading up to the note they are singing? This is where I notice the big difference between the two tools. (how they respond to the pitch drift) - referring to Auto mode, not graphic.

I feel they are both amazing products, it really comes down to Workflow, what works best for You.

I gave graphic mode a shot in auto tune and it simply took way too long for me to try and learn how to use it effectively so I gave melodyne a shot and loved how easy it was to put things in pitch.

For me, putting things in pitch, I find melodyne easier for my workflow (not sure if its better, but I am very happy with it.

I feel auto tune - graphic mode is best for smoothing out notes - melodyne gets a bit hairy with that function.

Once again, it really comes down to what is best for your work flow.

I have also tried what you are trying to do. When you say freak out, are you referring to the in between notes, the pitch drift leading up to the note they are singing? This is where I notice the big difference between the two tools. (how they respond to the pitch drift) - referring to Auto mode, not graphic.

I feel they are both amazing products, it really comes down to Workflow, what works best for You.

I gave graphic mode a shot in auto tune and it simply took way too long for me to try and learn how to use it effectively so I gave melodyne a shot and loved how easy it was to put things in pitch.

For me, putting things in pitch, I find melodyne easier for my workflow (not sure if its better, but I am very happy with it.

I feel auto tune - graphic mode is best for smoothing out notes - melodyne gets a bit hairy with that function.

Once again, it really comes down to what is best for your work flow.

Thats exactly what im talking about man. The Drift. I would never use both on the same vocal part simultaneously, i just tried it to see what happens. Auto tune i use for bass mainly, And make sure vox are close to pitch before any post processing is applied, so Melodyne knocks the tiny errors into place just fine, but making it work miracles is a no no, as im sure it is the same with autotune.

When melodyne first came out I was so stoked. My first take was tuning the bass. It slightly killed the transiensts of the notes, not much but I could hear it. So after that I always got super picky when recording bass. Maybe thing's have changed since the 1st edition of melodyne I dunno. As far with vocals I tend to like Auto-Tune more, off course with "manual" mode. Auto suck balls!