Getting the mix loud without clipping

MultiM

Jun 28, 2013
Paris, France
Hey guys:
I use Slate FG-X to get my mix louder and up to -9db,it can get the mix loud as fuck without clipping, but it's not clean and there's a bit of distortion.
I tried the Fabfilter Pro-L, it was great and transparent, but when I try to lift the gain, the Masterbus in Reaper tells me it's clipping. Am I using it wrong?
Maybe the source files aren't limited enough?
how do you guys use the Fabfilter Pro-L?

Youu probably have a few errant peaks in random spots in your mix. It's very likely the low end, so I think it's mote of a mix issue than you using a plugin incorrectly

All i'm saying is that you are touching 0 db (or maybe a tiny bit more -> inter-sample peaks) using your limiter, and reaper lights up red. I wouldn't honestly care about it too much, but if it really bugs you then lower the output of the fab limiter

All i'm saying is that you are touching 0 db (or maybe a tiny bit more -> inter-sample peaks) using your limiter, and reaper lights up red. I wouldn't honestly care about it too much, but if it really bugs you then lower the output of the fab limiter

It worked, I tried to lower the masterbus volume, it worked too.
Thanks pal!

You can set the ceiling in both FGX and Pro-L so you don't have to touch the master fader. I set mine usually at -0.5db. If you hear any audible distortion with FG-X (not clip but distort), try automating the ITP slider.

You can set the ceiling in both FGX and Pro-L so you don't have to touch the master fader. I set mine usually at -0.5db. If you hear any audible distortion with FG-X (not clip but distort), try automating the ITP slider.

Thanks, the ITP makes the sound smoother and remove the distortion.
I saw the ceiling in Slate FG-X, bu I didn't see the ceiling knob in Fabfilter Pro-L.