Getting loud master without clipping

deftones769

Aug 19, 2011
hey im having trouble getting my masters loud without sounding sqaushed im talking -10rms i have tried nearly everything with ozone and gclip and and all clippers for months but i still cant get my mix to sound a bit loud without sounding squashed any help would be soo apprecaited as its been bugging me for months on end cause my mixes sound really good until i have to get them louder cheers

is your mix low before it hits your mastering bus? i set around-18 on my bass guitar and squash it then mix around it, do the same, then eq out and multiband wild frequencies, also high pass at least 30hz so that your subs arent dominating your compressor

The Reason why Timislegend is saying search is because this question has been covered so many times, so you will be able to find so much on this topic. Maybe more people will give you insight, but then again.....other tips won't be covered that are covered on the other handful of times it's been asked. So definitely search this topic, you should find all the tips you need broskie.

I will add a tip anyway though.
Make sure all instruments have their own space. If seperate tracks are competing in the same frequency range, it is going to increase the chance of clipping. Make sure you have room for air.

Kick 55hz - 70hz. Bass low end 80hz - 125hz. Toms thump low end 150hz. Thick part of snare 200hz. Guitars (heavy palm mutes) 250hz. guitar note clarity 500hz-800hz. Vocals 800hz - 2khz. Bass Grit (if necessary or desired) 2khz. Guitar picking 2-3khz. click of kick and toms(i personally have it at 3-4khz). Clarity of vocals/cymbals 3khz-6khz. ANything you want to sparkle 6khz-12khz. Don't need much after that except cymbals might go passed 12khz.

Here is a rough idea how I do things sometimes. Depends on style of song, or speed of song really.

You also want to try to limit guitar and bass because the attack is much more "reactive?". Just is much smoother and easy to work with since there isn't any punchy tansients.

Make sure all instruments have their own space. If seperate tracks are competing in the same frequency range, it is going to increase the chance of clipping. Make sure you have room for air.

Kick 55hz - 70hz. Bass low end 80hz - 125hz. Toms thump low end 150hz. Thick part of snare 200hz. Guitars (heavy palm mutes) 250hz. guitar note clarity 500hz-800hz. Vocals 800hz - 2khz. Bass Grit (if necessary or desired) 2khz. Guitar picking 2-3khz. click of kick and toms(i personally have it at 3-4khz). Clarity of vocals/cymbals 3khz-6khz. ANything you want to sparkle 6khz-12khz. Don't need much after that except cymbals might go passed 12khz.

Here is a rough idea how I do things sometimes. Depends on style of song, or speed of song really.

You also want to try to limit guitar and bass because the attack is much more "reactive?". Just is much smoother and easy to work with since there isn't any punchy tansients.

^^^ good tips right hereeeee

thanks guys when you say more space in the mix i already eq all my instruments but can u elaborate it a bit more bro like how do u carve out all the frequencys around the instruments all you said? cause from listening to my mixes they sound pretty well balanced out

its just when i try and get my loudness it sounds sqaushed and all the transients are gone and ive tried everything from every limiter in ozone to tracks clipper gclip i just can seem to get it too not sound sqaushed if i could get my mixes up to par with volume and not sound a bit squashy ill be one very happy chap ill tell ya cause ive been workin on it for months on end man it wuld b good if joey culd give us a little on just a little how to make a tracks loud lol

soo yea any more help would be greatly appreciated thanks

hey gear ur mixes sound fuken amazing can u give me maybe sum lessons or settings or tips wat eva on how u get that sound maybe sum mastering advice cheers man u wuld b a god if u culd

i know u already gave me tips but can u maybe give me sum settings or sumthing lol do u have facebook?

yah! lyke sum preesetz! d00d!

icon_trollface.png

Reactions: rcosta93
Oh god Tim <3

Alright what I do is.....
Guitars. First I roll off highs and lows. LP and HP filters. Guitars 120hz HP and 10khz LP
Bass I roll off highs and lows. 70hz hp and 4khz Lp.
(btw this is of the assumption your drums are already EQ'd properly.)
After I leave room for low end and high end I reenter my guitar chain.

Now I listen. SHIT! I hear that my snare's low end is buried to dick heaven. So I deduct from the guitars at around 200hz (may be differnet for you, depends on snare). I use a narrow Q and no more than -3db. We aren't trying to change sound, just enhance and tweak. Still a little buried, don't take more out of the guitars to ruin tone, instead look for another track that could be competing. OH YEAH BASS! FUck yeah! Now I take out 200hz from my bass, being narrow again, and subtle.

Alright wow, it sounds much better, (if you want more thickness in snare, add more 200hz to the bitch.)

Now you listen again. You are also going to realize problems in the mid frequencies quite often. Snare crack, tom notes and such are going to be burried in the mid region. WHY might the little boy ask? "because you need to obviously scoop out some mids in your bass guitar" said grandma. So you do it and grandma says "holy wow, COwy you got something going there."

After you go through each section of frequency spectrum, lows and mids and highs. And everything is breathing. Go to each instrument. Like I sure does.

Kick, alright I hear it well, the thump click and slap is all there. BUT I could use more low on it, just to bring out more kick in your face. there are different ways to do this. Compression, EQ or transient modifying (also compression).

Snare, sounds great. Just needs more blend. ADD REVERB! I send it to a bus of verbation. Slap that shit on that, have it routed. Good to go. Remember to use room samples for your natural verb in your blend, but use outside VST verb just to add to the blend.

Guitars sound powerful, but could use more chugging power. Go to 150-300hz. Add some, and it will have more power. (REMEMBER THE LAST STAGE WHERE WE WERE GOING THROUGH THE FREQUENCY SPECTRUM, WE WERE DOING DEDUCTION, ADDING ROOM) now it's okay to take up room.
(if this addition, add's distortion or sounds messy, take a TINY BIT of [w/e you added] from the bass).

Then keep moving to each instrument.

FINAL COMPRESSION AND LIMITATION!

I go and on the drum bus, I will add GCLIP, and clip the drums.
Guitars I limit
Bass I compress THeN limit

So breakdown!
1. Take away frequencie's not needed
2. Go through Lows, Mids and Highs and make room for each instrument.
3. Now go through each instrument part, and add, deduct, compress, reverb, limit whatever you need.
4. SQUASH TIME
5. Master (compress, limit, EQ, ENHANCE FREQUENCIES!)

You are going to need to hear the difference between your mix and say....Adam D's or Joey Sturgis, Bill Metoyer etc. You have to train your ear to be able to hear detailed differences.

Good luck to you fella

Dude amazing info I've done all of this bro and mine still doesn't sound nearly as good as yours I just wanna get mine to sound like yours it would b amazingg if I could man as I'm struggling ATM can u give me precise details or even pics of ur eq settings on all it instruments man if u did that I b sooo happy man and also just all the details and maybe pics of it master bus I can give u my email so u can maybe send pics to me it's deftones_769@hotmail.com cheers man sorry for the ask but I just really struggling ATM man thanks heaps man

I have listen it your demo .... the song is still not well balance.

The problem that you find it cliping, is maybe occur when you recorded it. Too much gain or too much distortion.

Well, also, there is mud in the guitar and bass relationship. I would definitely carve some more shit out.

I've found that Joey does boosts around 6-7k for that click of the beater on the kick drum. Just FYI.