Gibson guitars: opinions

I sold both my ibanez Rg3210 for Gibson Explorer fixed bridge, I had it set up, intonation is perfect, used for all rhythm recordings, stock pickups and couldn't be happier with the tone, it sounds heavier than Oprah on a KFC diet

Bottom line... when you want to get a Gibson... PLAY IT FIRST. I cannot stress this enough with ANY guitar maker, but with Gibson it is of the utmost importance. There are so many years and slight/huge differences that you have to hold it before you commit to the purchase. Also, pawn shops are a fucking GOLD MINE for Gibsons. I will always like used Gibsons more than brand new ones. I guess they have their own personality, or more character, or something.

This is Absolute...

15+ years playing Gibsons, curently own 5, Sg's, LP, 335
Ive owned maybe 20 or so over the years...
The statement above is Absolute, buy used, buy old

Forgot to add that I put Planet Waves locking tuners, the ones that cut the string for you, to my Explorer.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Auto-Trim-Tuning-Machines-6-In-Line-361450-i1130179.gc

^ Those. Yeah you just feed the string through the post and turn the wheel to lock it down, when you go to tune it up it cuts the excess string off for you in the process. Great tuners, have them on my Fender Strat as well.

I'm so glad to hear from someone that actually uses these. I have been wanting to try these for years but have been afraid to pull the trigger.

The worst thing about owning a Gibson is breaking the headstock off. How have they not solved that problem yet. Other than that my goth lp is the best playing guitar i have.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Auto-Trim-Tuning-Machines-6-In-Line-361450-i1130179.gc

^ Those. Yeah you just feed the string through the post and turn the wheel to lock it down, when you go to tune it up it cuts the excess string off for you in the process. Great tuners, have them on my Fender Strat as well.

Yeah, those tuners are awesome. I put them on everything I buy. Even without the string clipping bonus, they are really great, high-quality machine heads.

Yeah I had a friend say he doesn't trust them just because they are made by Planet Waves, but he also believes in that one dude (Vans Evers) that says clamping a wood block on your power cable makes your head sound better so... I have owned Sperzel lockers and a couple others, these PW ones are on-par with those, if not better, then on top of that you have the string cutting tool built right in to it - total win in my book. If you can scrape up $60 for a set I highly recommend them. But, enough about PW tuners, back to Gibbys! :lol: