Gigantour in San Diego

Puckfiend

Mini Ross Halfin
Feb 27, 2006
Orange County, California, USA
This past Saturday night CRSCHKUM, myself and a couple friends went to see the Gigantour show at Cox Arena on the campus of SDSU. First time seeing a show at that venue, and we had floor tickets which was definitely the way to go.

Time listed on the ticket was 6:30. Overkill was first up and my buddy and I wanted to catch their set since they don't play on the west coast too often. We were going throught the turnstile at 6:25, and we could hear Overkill's set starting. So we made our way down the stairs to the floor and only missed most of the first song.

Arch Enemy and Opeth followed Overkill. We stayed on the floor for Arch Enemy and then took a break in the seats during Opeth. Due to some last minute scheduling difficulties due to no second stage at this stop, Opeth only had time for 3 songs.

Lamb of God went on after Opeth, but we went outside to the meet and greet with the bands instead. We hung out with Overkill for a few minutes and then caught the last half hour of LoG's set.

Note: This show had the quickest set turnarounds I've ever seen. Maybe 15 minutes tops and the next band was up and blasting away.

Megadeth was the headliner and hit the stage @ 10 pm. We were down front maybe five feet behind the barrier just off to the left of Dave. Dave looked refreshed from taking a break due to an arm injury and the new guys in the band clicked well.

Set list:

Blackmail The Universe
Set The World Afire
Skin O' My Teeth
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
Die Dead Enough
She Wolf
Take No Prisoners
Trust
Hangar 18
Washington's Next
Sweating Bullets
Tornado Of Souls
Kick The Chair
Symphony Of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars

Megadeth02.jpg

Megadeth01.jpg

Megadeth03.jpg

Blitz.jpg

Blitz from Overkill and me

Metallicat180 said:
new song - lucky git!! :lol: What was it like?
Great that you met Bobby too!!

Since we were down in front, we didn't get that great of a sound mix. Vocals were not that loud, which wasn't a problem for me since I know most of their lyrics, except for the new song. Sounded pretty kick ass though..along the lines of Blackmail the Universe.

And meeting Bobby was definitely an awesome unexpected surprise. Didn't know the bands were gonna be doing meet & greets, otherwise I would have brought along a few CD covers to get signed.

Puckfiend said:
Since we were down in front, we didn't get that great of a sound mix. Vocals were not that loud, which wasn't a problem for me since I know most of their lyrics, except for the new song. Sounded pretty kick ass though..along the lines of Blackmail the Universe.

And meeting Bobby was definitely an awesome unexpected surprise. Didn't know the bands were gonna be doing meet & greets, otherwise I would have brought along a few CD covers to get signed.

That's excellent - BTU is superb!!!

At least you got a photo, that's the main thing. I felt the same when I met Megadeth at Donington last year. I just got my ticket signed cos I had bugger all else. However, ticket #666 signed by Megadeth is a bit special no?? :cool:

Metallicat180 said:
At least you got a photo, that's the main thing. I felt the same when I met Megadeth at Donington last year. I just got my ticket signed cos I had bugger all else. However, ticket #666 signed by Megadeth is a bit special no?? :cool:

Yep.

Here's my ticket signed by Bobby:
GigantourStub.jpg

It was indeed a great show. We were about 3 feet from the rail, on the right side, most of Deth's set. I agree that the vocals were a bit low for Deth...but it was much better on the right side, than the left...for some reason.

The new song has me all excited for the new album. I friggin loved it!

Metallicat180 said:
Excellent!! Can't wait for the new album, The System Has Failed was fantastic!!! :kickass:

Agreed! I never thought they'd ever again put out an album that I thought was their best. I was wrong!

Puckfiend said:
Sounds like we were right next to each other..we were on the right side between Dave and Glen.

We were directly in front of Glenn, and maybe a little to the right.

Wasn't bad where we were until the last song, Holy Wars, when a bunch of people all of a sudden started crowd surfing. Had to watch out for kicks in the head. And even though we weren't trying, we kept getting closer as the show went on. By the end of the show, we were just off the rail.

We were up in the seats taking a break from standing during Lamb of God. They had some good floor action going.

I went to all CA Gigantour dates and sadly SD was the worst.
I know you from Megadeth boards by the way. Overkill and
Megadeth ruled the night ofcourse. I'm die hard Megadeth
fan so I 'm sad it's over. Now Maiden concerts are ahead!
(Stratovarious and Maidens first though) I had pictures with
Megadeth , DD Verni and Bobby. Dave rules as always.
The new song Washington's Next is AWESOME.