Give Me Ed, Til I'm Dead Tour, Worcester

Opet

in my den of inequity
May 1, 2001
RI, USA
Damn. That took forever. I've finally got to see Maiden live. I missed the days of old, but they still put on one hell of a show. Where the hell does he get all that energy?! I was awestruck. The setlist I guess would be my only gripe yet there was nothing to really gripe about! I wanted to see Wasted Years or Somewhere In Time live. I realized after, they must have played that in concert so many times before. No biggy though, considering the opening few lit the crowd right up. Wow! The Number of The Beast then right into The Trooper. Shit yeah!

It was the first time I saw Dio too. \mXm/ Horns mean so much more from him. What a happy little troll running around up there. Motorhead I only caught the end of. But it was obvious who the majority of the fanbase was there to see. MAIDEN.

They started at about 9:20 and played until 11:00. Bruce was all over the crowd. Demanding. I can only scream so long and so loud man! He scolded the pot smokers in the front. He didn't want to be falling asleep from that shit.

Visually, the curtains they used for each song (changing with the albums) were EXCELENT! The lighting was great. A dude dressed as Ed walked out on stilts for a while. The brain was dropped in a big Eddy above the stage during the last song. The most impressive was how animated they all were. Man, seeing those 4 guitars together on stage like that...
mellow.gif

OK, I always get o_O at live shows. I'm just so psyched to be there. So here's my attempt at naming the setlist in the order I can recall...

The Number of The Beast
The Trooper
Revelations
The Wicker Man
A Brave New World
Die With Your Boots On
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
The Clansman
Fear Of The Dark
Run To The Hills (encore)

Hmm....what'd I forget?

11 fucking songs?? FUCKING 11????? 20 some odd years and 11 songs?!? Granted the songs come to about 25 hours of playing time but good fucking god. In flames played about 20 2 weeks ago. they havent been around quite as long as Maiden.

Cloud Connected
Clayman

Watch Them Feed
Pinball Map
Bulletride
Behind Space
Trigger
System
Moonshield
Only for the Weak
Episode 666
Drifter
Black & White
Coerced Existence
Scorn
Gyroscope
Colony

In Flames setlist from Chicago.
Lot better than Maidens.

I dont wanna hear about Maiden giving time to dio and Motorhead either.

Iced In Flames said:
11 fucking songs?? FUCKING 11????? 20 some odd years and 11 songs?!? Granted the songs come to about 25 hours of playing time but good fucking god. In flames played about 20 2 weeks ago. they havent been around quite as long as Maiden.

To be fair, they did actually play 14 songs, not 11.

They played 17 in europe and dropped 22 Accacia Avenue, 2 Minutes to Midnight and Heaven Can Wait

IMO they should give Fear Of The Dark and The Clansman a rest, at least on the DOD tour. Where they could add some other golden oldies. But that is most likely not to happend

It does to me. What is the point of even touring if you are going to play 11 - 14 songs? I can see if you are a newer band without a lot of material. Fans beg to hear Infinite Dreams and Only The good Die Young So add em in to the fucking set and make it a bit longer. If the old guys can stand it that is. What a joke.

Sign of Eth said:
The set list got even shorter in Camden. Reports are they dumped Brave New World and Bring Your Daughter and added 2 Minutes. So they are now down to 13 songs.

Well, I don't mind dumping either of those songs, but to only play 13 songs is ridiculous. I mean, I know they're old, but the songs aren't that difficult, surely they could manage to learn a few more.

DBM000 said:
What did Dio and Motorhead play?
I heard most of Motorhead from the hall. I was tardy, but I sat down for the last few songs. I don't know his material very well, but I heard "The Ace of Spades" and "Overkill". I wish I knew more of his stuff. I would have appreciated them more. Maybe even showed up on time. Still, I showed respect for the old timers.

Dio, I couldn't even pretend I know everything he played. It's not that there were too many songs played, there are just too many albums to know! From my standpoint, it seems that way. I've been learning his stuff slowly. A friend put a few compilations together for me a while back. I heard Holy Diver, Dream Evil, Stand Up And Shout, Rock And Roll, I Speed At Night and Evil Eyes. I'd have to say Holy Diver is my favorite track, so that made my day. Was Rainbow In The Dark played? I'm such a dud. We Rock? I'm guessing now. The drum solo was cool. There was a guitar solo also. I was floating away by then. I got to see Dio live o_O for the first time! What a fkn honor, huh?! Years from now when I know all his material, I'll remember this show. I wonder how much longer he'll be touring.

One thing I noticed about both of these bands. The sound was sort of like a "brown noise" at times. That "woob woob woOOoob" sound. Damn, I hate that. It almost seems like if they turned it down a notch , it'd help. I went out in the hall as soon as I wiped the scream tears away. I got me a killer Dio shirt off the merchandise rack. FCKIN' $35 BUCKS for a little shit! :erk: Whatever. I had to have one after seeing that.

Alex999 said:
Well, I don't mind dumping either of those songs, but to only play 13 songs is ridiculous. I mean, I know they're old, but the songs aren't that difficult, surely they could manage to learn a few more.
These's guys have been tourning for how long? I'd think by now they'd know how to play most everything live. Both Maiden and Dio seemed to done long before I expected they would be. At the end of both sets I was like, "What? That's it? Noooo! Come back! You've got to be kidding me?! How long was that?" I must have looked at my watch like 10 times to make sure I didn't loose track of time. I guess I was expecting at least 2 hours for the headliner.

EDIT: You said, "I know they're old, but the songs aren't that difficult."
From what it looked like, they're trying to keep up with their old concert ways. Jumping and running around (almost) continuously. That's got to be tiring. It looks good, but how's the stamina these days? Maybe they chose putting on a shorter energetic show over reserving energy and just performing a longer one. :p

Opet said:
Maybe they chose putting on a shorter energetic show over reserving energy and just performing a longer one. :p

Well, the running around is ok, but I'd rather have more music. Even if they have to cahin Jan to the stage.

I hate to keep dragging DT into discussions, but Maiden really ought to go see a DT show and be shown exactly what it means to vary the setlist and play for a decent amount of time.