Giving everything it's OWN place in the mix

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Hello folks!
I just released a new production called "The Storm" and, I mean, I enjoy the sound of all my instruments in it, it just doesn't have that professional distinction between each instrument. Lemme give you my EQ:

Guitars:
HP/115hz
LP/11000hz
1.0 boost at 2k.

Bass:
3.0 boost at 78hz

Vox:
+3.0@5006hz
-5.2@750hz

Keyboards:
I ALWAYS have trouble with mixing them.
For this song I have them slightly boosted at around 500-800hz. I like the sound of my keys in the low mids.

Anyways, you can't really tell due to these settings but most of the EQ is subtractive. The only EQ that's coming ABOVE the 0.0 line is a small bump at 2k on the guitars, small bump at 78hz for the bass, and a small bump between 3 and 5k for the vocals.

Can you pinpoint my flaws in this mix? I ask you to please be constructive about it as I'm trying my hardest to become the best producer I can possibly be.

PS: skip to 2:20 to jump right into the song. The diddy before it is a prequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix is okay, but to be perfectly honest, it just sounds like pod farm and superior drummer. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't stand out to me. The drums need less compression, all I can hear during the song is treble-y slaps. Vocals need to come down in volume a dB or two, and I feel like the synths could go down a few dB as well.

I agree with the vocals.
I don't know how to make Superior and Pod NOT sound like Superior and Pod to a producer though haha