Glenn: Looking for a Promoter's POV

mandaX

Team #ZFG
Jul 19, 2002
Budd Lake, NJ
Hey Glenn,
I just wanted to bounce something off your brain since you have a lot of experience now with PPUSA

Just to summarize, my father is in charge of running a Summer Concert Series in the town he lives in:

http://www.jeffersonhighlightsconcerts.com/poster.html

Its nothing like the size or the magnitude of what ProgPower is, but the stage crew and staff is 100% volunteers. Now I had to step in because one of the volunteers got all uppity because my father was running the lighting rig setup, and she felt he wasn't being appreciative (i.e. Nice) to the volunteers working with him that night. When these "volunteers" were bringing more drama to the table than help to begin with, he called them out on it and told them they could leave he didn't really need their help. I don't remember in any book where you needed to be sunshine and puppy dog nice to any volunteers just because they are volunteering, especially in a music production enviroment. Its unfortunate where sometimes you have to be an ass to get stuff done, the sunshine and puppydogs can come after the show is done.

I don't really want to break down any walls for yourself and your relationship with your crew, I'm just wondering if my Dad was out of line, (which I know I'm biased but wtf)

The no-bullshit answer is that your dad has an event to run and has to do whatever it takes to get the job done. What seperates the professionals from the amateurs is how they handle difficult situations like this and adapt on the fly.

That said, my opinion is that volunteers should never be given critical tasks. They should have jobs that can be performed by someone else quickly if the need to replace them arises. Their performance should never have an effect on the overall quality of the show either. That is not to say they are not important or should not be praised for their efforts though. If your dad is too busy to do that, then he really needs to evaluate how many people he has working for him or the personality criteria in advance. He may can pull it off one year with what he has, but he may need them next time around. Like it or not, he will develop a reputation that could come back to bite him on the ass.

As for my personal experience, my crew is amazing. The festival has reached the point to where it is on auto-pilot while we are in Atlanta. I finally let go of the reigns about two years ago and have enjoyed the show more as a result. I'd say my crew feels the same away. :fu:

My crew are paid and treated like professionals (underpaid professionals, but you get the point). They have *earned* a worldwide reputation with their performance. They take pride in their work. They have also been together for a long time and the "family" aspect can never be underestimated. They hold each other accountable and speak freely to each other. If one is slacking, they are called out on it in a hurry. They don't need me for that anymore.

I would put my guys up agains Wacken, Sonisphere, Sweden Rock, or anyone else. They are that damn good.

That said, I will be the first to admit that I can be Captain Asshole backstage. After all, it's my ass that is on the line. Thankfully, my family has my back.

Captain Asshole: The First Promoter

You should totally have a behind the scenes DVD where someone just follows you around the whole festival. That way it's on film for all to see. I'd pay to see it. :headbang:

The no-bullshit answer is that your dad has an event to run and has to do whatever it takes to get the job done. What seperates the professionals from the amateurs is how they handle difficult situations like this and adapt on the fly.

That said, my opinion is that volunteers should never be given critical tasks. They should have jobs that can be performed by someone else quickly if the need to replace them arises. Their performance should never have an effect on the overall quality of the show either. That is not to say they are not important or should not be praised for their efforts though. If your dad is too busy to do that, then he really needs to evaluate how many people he has working for him or the personality criteria in advance. He may can pull it off one year with what he has, but he may need them next time around. Like it or not, he will develop a reputation that could come back to bite him on the ass.

I agree, he's been doing it now for 6 years, and he does give them all the kudos in the world, and he does take care of the volunteers after the job is done but its a specific brand new couple of people who just don't 'get it' if that makes sense, they have no idea how running even a simple concert works and is second guessing a guy who has 42 years behind him in the field.

As for my personal experience, my crew is amazing. The festival has reached the point to where it is on auto-pilot while we are in Atlanta. I finally let go of the reigns about two years ago and have enjoyed the show more as a result. I'd say my crew feels the same away.

My crew are paid and treated like professionals (underpaid professionals, but you get the point). They have *earned* a worldwide reputation with their performance. They take pride in their work. They have also been together for a long time and the "family" aspect can never be underestimated. They hold each other accountable and speak freely to each other. If one is slacking, they are called out on it in a hurry. They don't need me for that anymore.

I would put my guys up agains Wacken, Sonisphere, Sweden Rock, or anyone else. They are that damn good.

That said, I will be the first to admit that I can be Captain Asshole backstage. After all, it's my ass that is on the line. Thankfully, my family has my back.

Glenn thanks for the reponse, I knew I wasn't going crazy :), and your Crew is the best! They do an amazing job and Thanks for putting it on year after year.

You should totally have a behind the scenes DVD where someone just follows you around the whole festival.

You would see me trailing behind (with bottled water and Powerade in tow), *trying* to keep up, all the while bitching at him to drink something besides Jack Daniels. :tickled:

Oh, and it would certainly have to be censored, too!!

~Jen

You would see me trailing behind (with bottled water and Powerade in tow), *trying* to keep up, all the while bitching at him to drink something besides Jack Daniels. :tickled:

Oh, and it would certainly have to be censored, too!!

~Jen

nah...maybe just that one time that he....oh wait and the time that band's manage....and the part wh.....oh shit you're right.

I think it would get an NC-17 rating unedited! :lol:

Working with this crew for 4 days out of the year is something I look forward to year after year. I wish I was there from the start, then maybe Wayne & Shane would be used to "the finger gaze" by now....:heh: It truly is a family, and not only do we have the bossman's back, but we have each other's as well. While it's a lot of hard work, it sure is one helluva good time, too! :headbang:

Thanks for the compliments, boss!