Glorious Burden Review

Larf03

Like a rock
As I posted on the Testament forum, here is my review of the newest Iced Earth
Well... I finally got the disc and I thought I'd share my thoughts with you guys... I think this cd is decent at best. Some of it is enjoyable but I had higher expectations than that. Sure, it has the best solos of Iced Earth's catalogue but where's the speed? shere is the fast picking? Damn I thought that Tim's addition to Iced Earth's ranks with thrash things up a little because let's face it, Tim's voice is way thrashier than matt's...

Well... you've got 3 great thrasher on this disc... the rest is either ballads or mid-paced songs. Here is my track by track review...

Star Spangled Banner
Well... the american national anthem on electric guitar... This has been done millions of time so why bother discussing it? ...5/10

Declaration Day
Well, this one sounds more like a Demons and Wizards song than anything else. It's mid paced and catchy. Great solo though! 7/10

When the Eagle Cries
I had the acoustic version of this one on the reckoning EP and it was good... This version is pretty much the same but the vocals are poorer but the addition of distorted guits in the chorus add something more to the mood of the song... 7/10

The Reckoning
I said it before and i'll say it again, this one kills. This is one of the thrashers of the album. It's great overall thought pretty simple. However... what is that slow paced middle part doing there??? 8/10

Green Face
Thrasher number 2! This one has a great vocal performance by Ripper! Damn does he sound Angry!!! His vocals somewhat tends in the black metal direction in some parts! This one is my favorite off this album 9/10

Valley Forge
Another Demons and Wizard sounding tune. It starts like a ballad but turns into a cool rocking piece of music wich is overall pretty interesting. Great solo!!! 8/10

Atilla
Ugh... What is that? The most redondant song of the album... it goes on and on... There's no climax... no punches... Gee I listened to it three times because I thought I missed the point! Bottom line is: there is no point !!! 3/10

Hollow Man
This song was supposed to be Schaffer's big masterpiece... He didn't want to waste this one on Century Media... WHy again? I don't see anything special... it's just a good ballad... nowhere as good as I died for You or Watching Over me though... 6/10

Red Baron / Blue Max
The last thrasher on this album! This one is the most complex structure-wise and has some great drumming... I like the vocals too! 7/10

The Trilogy...
Long, too atmospheric... I'll have to listen to it again ... so far... ish... 6/10

Overall : 6.6/10

All fairness given, this album does not completly suck... It's not as good as I expected but it's at least a good album to lsten to when you're distracted... As for the patriotic lyrics... I don't think you can blame someone for loving their contry wich makes this remark irrelevant. I don't like thos lyrics either but I won't judge the album because of that.

Now I will make a confession and admit that I like Owen's vocals a lot more in Iced Earth than any other work he as done. In fact... ballads aside I like his voice better than barlow. I expected a lot more thrash than that...

I listen to Tempo of the Damn just after this album... What a lyrical contrast LOL!!!

ok. ive heard some of the songs from this cd, and i wouldnt shit on it if it was on fire. come on. schaffer uses the same recycled riffs over and over and over and over again. its nothing new. and while barlow was definately better with i.e., i think ripper is an outstanding vocalist, whom ive seen live many times. i believe and i know i might get flamed for this, but sings better than halford on many priest tracks. hes more believeable than halford has been in a decade.
writing pro u.s. tracks is just getting old. gettysburg? come on. iron maiden did the trooper 2 decades ago. move on.

ok so (un)forunately i actually started to enjoy owens' vox on parts of the album , ballad vocals not included ( i still think they are pretty pitiful) ... and the music i greatly enjoy as well in parts.. but album as a whole? just bad, it just doesn't all come together as it should...

i can listen to songs about fiery steel and dragons and albatrosses with a straight face, but when it comes to this album , I can't help but LOL

deathstrike from hell said:
ok. ive heard some of the songs from this cd, and i wouldnt shit on it if it was on fire. come on. schaffer uses the same recycled riffs over and over and over and over again. its nothing new.

I actually agree that Schaffer tends to recycle a lot but then again... Metal bands have their trademarks and you could say the same thing about lots of bands... Maiden, AC/DC... But on TGB, I think Schaffer used that damned simple riff quite too often! That "let-ring, mute, mute, let-ring" riff structure gets old pretty quickly!

and while barlow was definately better with i.e., i think ripper is an outstanding vocalist.

You are rtight... Ripper is awesome! But who is better? It depends... Personnaly, I think Ripper adds a lot to Iced Earth aggression-wise and has the potnetial to turn them into a full-fledged thrash band ...Where Barlow was great live, Ripper is Awesome on CD... I think songs like My Own Savior sound better live because Barlow sings more aggressivly than on the studio versio. Ripper sings like a pissed off bastard everywhere :) So in my taste, Owens is maybe not better but just as good with Iced Earth as Barlow.

i know i might get flamed for this, but sings better than halford on many priest tracks. hes more believeable than halford has been in a decade.

Indeed, you might get flammed for this but if you do, I will too because I actually agree that Owens was better on SOME tunes! The word believeable is so correct!

writing pro u.s. tracks is just getting old. gettysburg? come on. iron maiden did the trooper 2 decades ago. move on.

I don't really mind that... If there is one thing I've learn with IE is to nevermind the lyrics. Sure some songs are great and the lyrics are cool but it's either, "I'm such a stand-alone-independant guy with sets himself appart from the rest of the crowd" or "Don't tread on me..." :) So when it comes to lyrics, I just go for more profound stuuf like Death or Nevermore ... IE is the equivalent of a 13 year old writting a poem in english class...

I'll have to hear it for myself...thanks for the comments LarfO3. I won't buy it till I hear some of it first, and the lyrics are somewhat turning me off. They're most historical, but relevant today for one person.

Basically, I must not be true. No Barlow (although he does some back ground vocals) means no me.

"No Barlow (although he does some back ground vocals) means no me"

Yes, I agree with this. Plus, the $18 price tag at the end really turns me off.

I consider myself a pretty big IE fan, since 97 or so in fact, but listening to this album has been quite a "burden." The ballads are vile and the lyrics/concept is laughable. Just pick the cd up for the "trilogy".....the rest is mediocre at best....in fact I'll go as far as saying that I was embarrased while listening to some of the tracks (mostly the ballads).

DavE

i thought it was a great album. i dont know why everyone's bashing the album beacuse it has pro USA lyrics. the man loves his nation, that shouldnt be the sole reason to hate an album. also, saying the trooper did it first isnt really true. the trooper was about a diffrent war..... and besides, how many other subjects have been covered by diffrent bands (like the devil, death, and depression)

this album has some great vocals too. its real classic metal here.... nothing fancy, and if you minus the ballads, its just a true metal ripper.

The Gettysbug trilogy as a whole is just amazing, Red Baron/Blue Max has some ripping tunes and a great solo, Attila is a great epic like song with a great gallop and Greenface is just a shreding thumper reminding me of countdown to exicution style megadeth. this album has some great stuff on it.