GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1990

Slowly We Rot is going to be tough to beat that year for me, probably instalock #1
There is Altars of Madness. THE defining death metal album. The one made thrash obsolete as a extreme metal genre. Probably it's the most groundbreaking album in all death metal. Gotta be the heaviest and darkest shit ever spawned in the 80's.

I hope 89 comes waaaay later. We have too many 00's to knock out. 2007 is gonna be a beast year!

So what's the plan now? Are we gonna close the 2018 poll first?

I mean, sure, but my point was to say that Death already gave death metal its defining albums before Altars of Madness or Severed Survival even existed.

Altars provided a style of death metal that was the footprint for all things to come. The vast influence of that album in particular is undeniable.

Death never used blastbeats, neither Obituary. I don't remember if Severed Survival has any, I don't think so. The modern shift and overall evolution of death metal came basically from Altars.

I mean, this is MILES ahead those bands and its time in terms of style.

About thrash, many metalheads who were into Slayer, Dark Angel, Kreator and the like were looking into death metal as the next "most extreme" thing. Thrash stopped being the limit of violence and heaviness and, in my eyes, Altars provided a definite separation between both genres.

This game is rank the albums how you like them, not how genre defining someone else thinks they are. SWR is one of my favorite OSDM albums and i prefer OSDM to modern DM by far, more thrash mixed with them is better in my opinion

SWR is a badass album, just dripping heaviness and dread, love the guitars and vocals on that, top notch

Just listened to Mental Vortex. Love the band's energy, heavy as fuck & the vocals have that punk edge to them. Top shelf thrash, dunno why I had never got around to listening to Coroner before.
I'd go for No More Colour next, then work your way back. Check out Grin after you’re done with their tech thrash stuff. It was their last proper album and it's pretty laid back and different.

Reactions: jimmy101