GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1990

*6) Spiritual Healing by Death
All the prayers in the world can't help you now ...
R-660530-1522114241-9522.jpeg.jpg

"Spiritual Healing is the best/definitive Death album"
@Satanstoenail

"Spiritual Healing seems to be the least favorite among many but it's definitely his best vocal performance."
@theflyingmachine

"I'm partial to the first four pretty well equally, my favorite seems to alternate but is usually Spiritual Healing." @Krow

"Spiritual Healing is one of the best death metal albums period."
@CF87

"I bought Spiritual Healing today btw. My favourite Death record I only had in mp3s" @Onder

"Spiritual Healing is a classic piece of work." @Der Morgenstern

"I really really love Spiritual Healing" @Satanstoenail

Chosen By:
@TechnicalBarbarity (#2)
@RadicalThrasher (#3)
@Burkhard (#4)
@Satanstoenail (#4)
@Allfader (#5)
@alex76 (#5)
@jimmy101 (#6)
@zerostatic (#6)
@zabu of nΩd (#9)
@Dak (#10)
@The Ozzman

TOTAL POINTS: 60.5

*4) Painkiller by Judas Priest
Blasting bolts of steel...
judas-priest-painkiller-20160721133456.jpg

"Painkiller is a top 20 metal album and is killer from start to finish. The title track is one of two songs I use to introduce people to metal (the other being Angel of Death). It epitomizes the genre." @crimsonfloyd

"Painkiller is almost certainly top 5 1990 material. Far better than any death metal album from that year, as well as albums from a number of big names including Maiden, Sabbath, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, etc. Secrecy will beat it for me and Trouble, Anacrusis, Destruction, and Megadeth will give it strong competition, but I think it will make the top 5 comfortably. Probably top 3." @HamburgerBoy

"I don't hate Painkiller. I spin it occasionally but I would literally listen to almost every other Priest album before Painkiller."
@The Ozzman

"The in-crowd's dismissal of Painkiller is possibly their greatest sin." @HamburgerBoy

"i like painkiller, i just don't think it deserves its reputation as their best album" @no country for old wainds

"Painkiller is a big fucking greasy bacon cheeseburger. You're not better off for eating it and there's nothing fancy about it but it's fucking good. No bullshit. No lettuce."
@Krow

Chosen By:
@Serjeant Grumbles (#1)
@Slammed (#1)
@Krow (#1)
@crimsonfloyd (#2)
@HamburgerBoy (#3)
@zerostatic (#5)
@-CC- (#6)
@Bloopy (#6)
@Baroque (#6)
@zabu of nΩd (#7)
@Draehl (#8)
@Atomic Tide (#9)
@jimmy101 (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 78

*4) Deicide by Deicide
No lord shall stand before myself...
R-1061717-1270289526.jpeg.jpg

"Title track is my favourite from that album. But they all rule!" @Phylactery

"Either of the first two Deicide albums are pretty iconic in the satanic death metal thing and Benton's vocals were especially demonic sounding." @CiG

"Yeah I also thought the Deicide debut was the most evil thing I'd ever heard when it came out. And Benton with his upside down cross burned into his forehead seemed like the real deal. Then I read an article in Kerrang where he went head to head with a Catholic priest and I realised he was actually just another moron with a gimmick." @Satanstoenail

"the first 2 Deicide are far beyond "reasonable", they're fucking great." @Phylactery

"deicide s/t owns every soul on this board" @no country for old wainds

Chosen By:

@no country for old wainds (#1)
@Allfader (#2)
@zerostatic (#2)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#3)
@CiG (#3)
@Satanstoenail (#3)
@Manic Ferocity (#3)
@Krow (#4)
@Master_Yoda77 (#6)
@crimsonfloyd (#8)
@Sirjack (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 78

3) Hammerheart by Bathory
Men of the North we leave the shores in flames...
653976BE0F056A5CD11F7A157CE27B6776F64ACE

"is saying hammerheart is bathory's best album controversial?
i know some black metal purists hate master quorthon's shift in genre but i wonder how the metal community at large thinks about that opinion ... i would go so far as to say its my favorite metal album bar none"
@EchoForever

"Obv #1 album of all the time, so not controversial for me atleast. :)" @Vilden

"No matter how many times Vilden says that "Hammerheart is the best album ever", it won't change the fact that it's not even Bathory's best album imo."
@Phylactery

"The uniqueness of Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods is that it tried to achieve something by expanding on specific elements in the Manowar sound while completely omitting their faster, more standard heavy metal elements" @CiG

"Hammerheart has always been my favourite. One of the few albums where solos/leads are done perfectly. Seriously. The solos on that shit are pure fucking genius. They aren't shittily masturbatory, and fit with the songs just so damn well. sure BFD owns because it is a thrashing and a half, and UtSotBM is the classic 'black metal' release, but hammerheart always has and probably will always be my favourite. @Yerfdaug

Chosen By:
@Allfader (#1)
@zabu of nΩd (#1)
@Master_Yoda77 (#1)
@Draehl (#2)
@Terasophe (#3)
@crimsonfloyd (#4)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
@Dak (#4)
@Anom@nder Rake (#5)
@CiG (#6)
@Mort Divine (#7)

TOTAL POINTS: 83

2) Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer
Shaped and forged within the fire...
500x500.jpg

"Seasons in the Abyss will always be my favorite Slayer record" @The Ozzman

"Seasons in the Abyss is basically what South of Heaven should have been."
@The Batlord

"Fuck's wrong with y'all. Seasons in the Abyss all the way."
@SomeGuyDude

"I've never clicked with South of Heaven either. It lacks energy and there's no bite in the vocals. All problems which were fixed on Seasons in the Abyss, but we can argue about that when we do 1990." @Bloopy

Chosen By:
@alex76 (#1)
@Draehl (#1)
@Terasophe (#2)
@crimsonfloyd (#3)
@-CC- (#3)
@Bloopy (#3)
@jimmy101 (#3)
@Slammed (#3)
@zerostatic (#4)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#5)
@TechnicalBarbarity (#6)
@Satanstoenail (#7)
@zabu of nΩd (#8)
@Dak (#8)
@The Ozzman

TOTAL POINTS: 102.5

1) Rust in Peace by Megadeth
Tremble you weaklings, cower in fear - I am your ruler, land, sea and air ...

"I like everything up to Rust in Peace moderately and I fucking love Rust in Peace ... one of the greatest thrash albums ever"
@Vegard Pompey

"Peace Sells, Rust in Peace and The System Has Failed all get played regularly on my zune." @zerostatic

"their best work is most definitely Rust in Peace but Peace Sells is also really good and not far behind" @Satanstoenail

"after years of resisting it RUST IN PEACE has really grown on me over the past several months, and i'm interested in going back through their discography at some point." @no country for old wainds

"Rust in Peace is pretty much a flawless record." @crimsonfloyd

"Agent Orange and Rust In Peace are the greatest thrash albums IMO." @EffigyForgotten

"Rust in Peace should realistically be an absolute classic." @Baroque

"Rust in Peace is not only a thrash metal masterpiece, it's also one of the greatest metal albums of all time. :kickass:" @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen By:
@TechnicalBarbarity (#1)
@crimsonfloyd (#1)
@-CC- (#1)
@zerostatic (#1)
@Baroque (#1)
@Terasophe (#1)
@RadicalThrasher (#2)
@Bloopy (#2)
@jimmy101 (#2)
@Slammed (#2)
@alex76 (#2)
@Burkhard (#5)
@zabu of nΩd (#5)
@Satanstoenail (#5)
@no country for old wainds (#6)
@HamburgerBoy (#7)
@CiG (#9)
@Dak (#9)
@The Ozzman

TOTAL POINTS: 141.5

Smashed it.

Hard not to put that album near the top, definitely Megadave's finest hour.

1990 was literally the year of the final gong for thrash metal. Glad to see Seasons & RIP get their due on this list.

There were still a healthy amount of thrash albums still coming out in the early 90's, but 1990 was probably the last year before the grunge explosion shook everything up.

There were still a healthy amount of thrash albums still coming out in the early 90's, but 1990 was probably the last year before the grunge explosion shook everything up.

So Kurt Cobain killed hair metal and thrash? Damn he was good

Reactions: Bloopy