Gnarly bass tone w/ a surprise (pic)

heshian46

Sep 1, 2009
Northwest Burbs of Chicago, IL
I went for the "lets make a ridiculous sounding trashy bass tone" mantra.

The surprise is that all the bass grit/distortion is coming from a Danelectro Honeytone practice amp.

I picked one up from guitar center a few weeks back really only because it was $20. It's actually a pretty decent little amp. The clean tones are nice, they give that vintage feel. But where this thing really shines is overdrive. Sounds like garbage on guitar, but gives just the right amount of grit on bass.

Instead of running direct out of the headphone jack (which may work well too) I mic'd it up with a AT4040.
Its mixed about 35/65 with a direct track from a Ibanez SR505 (which is slammed and saturated).

Heres the tone by itself:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37353680/bass.wav

And here it is in a rough mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37353680/mix%20with%20bass.wav

301396_10150306517202761_590892760_7890562_655157667_n.jpg

Tell me what ya think!

Thousand points for the .wav files!! The bass tone is really original, I just don't like the litte rattle in the high-end as if the bass was tuned too low for what it was meant to be. You never go wrong with danelectro, even the wasabi series of effect pedals is really decent.

Thousand points for the .wav files!! The bass tone is really original, I just don't like the litte rattle in the high-end as if the bass was tuned too low for what it was meant to be. You never go wrong with danelectro, even the wasabi series of effect pedals is really decent.

It's a five string tuned down 1/2 step on the recording. The action on the bass is really low. Maybe your hearing the strings hitting the frets? I hit the strings really hard on stuff like this, and I play by the neck. Just making guesses as to what you are actually hearing. OP is going to love the awesome words from you guys.

I do agree after listening a bit that the grit tends to poke through a bit.

For it being a quick mix tho I think it sits really well with the guitars (X30).

And btw, if u hadn't figured it out, jotun725 played bass on this clippy.

Lol you want a clanky bass for anything heavy, or tight.