GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1977

Serjeant Grumbles

Mar 20, 2005
1 9 7 7
sid_vicious.jpg

Obviously make sure to hit up RYM yourself and search your favourite genres.

The deadline is 14th of June 2018.

The rules:
- submit at least 5 releases.
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.

GNMD = General Non-Metal Discussion, so NO METAL ALBUMS are to be included in anybody's list.

BoringTornHart-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloopy
DRAFT VERSION

1. Earth Wind & Fire - All 'n All
2. The Isley Brothers - Go for Your Guns
3. Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - Bridges
4. Kraftwerk - Trans Europa Express
5. Rush - A Farewell to Kings
6. Cameo - Cardiac Arrest
7. David Bowie - Low
8. Ohio Players - Angel
9. Peter Hammill - Over
10. 山下達郎 [Tatsuro Yamashita] - Spacy
Giorgio - From Here to Eternity
Eloy - Ocean
Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood
Suicide - Suicide
Maze - Maze
Space Art - Space Art

Will look something like that, need to give everything below Cardiac Arrest a relisten aside from maybe Angel (which I listened to just recently but enjoyed more than any previous listen). Great year, lots of new sounds and styles just picking up. I also need to hear the Chrome album from this year, as I like the others I've heard.

I'd also like to take this moment to preemptively shit on that fucking horrible Peter Gabriel album.

Last edited:
Not that most people couldn't figure out how to change the year but your link to RYM in the OP seems to have the wrong year in it.

You passed the test. I just left it that way to see if anybody would notice.

Phew! I'm glad I passed.

I probably wouldn't have, at least not immediately, if the first album on the 1975 list wasn't the first album in the '75 poll.

Fucking good year. I'm excited for this one.

I don't listen to a lot of this music as much as I used to, but so much of it--like Tull and Floyd--will always be favorites for me.

Of course they count.

I think Maggot Brain's title track gets a bit too much attention for what it is. The five songs in the middle are all gold.

Reactions: CiG
Of course they count.

I think Maggot Brain's title track gets a bit too much attention for what it is. The five songs in the middle are all gold.

I'll give them another shot. I'm slowly perusing into other genres as metal can get stale for me lately. Also need to check out Parliament.

What other funk bands do you recommend?

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
1. Goblin - Suspiria
2. Rush - A Farewell to Kings
3. Steely Dan - Aja
4. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
5. Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
6. Ramones - Rocket to Russia
7. Waylon Jennings - 'Ol Waylon
8. David Allan Coe - Rides Again
9. Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
10. Ramones - Leave Home

1.Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
2.Queen - News Of The World
3.AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
4.Pink Floyd - Animals
5.George Thorogood & The Destroyers - George Thorogood and the Destroyers
6.Split Enz - Dizrythmia
7.Kiss - Love Gun
8.Ian Gillan Band - Clear Air Tubulence
9.Ramones - Rocket to Russia
10.The Muppets - The Muppet Show

HM
Ramones - Leave Home
Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
Derek & Clive - Derek & Clive Come Again

This year belongs to punk and avantpop overall. Prog is basically dead, with Floyd as the main outlier, but it'll probably win the majority share anyway with this crowd...

First draft:
  1. Pink Floyd - Animals
  2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
  3. Steely Dan - Aja
  4. Television - Marquee Moon
  5. Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
  6. AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
  7. Brian Eno - Before and After Science
  8. Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
  9. David Bowie - Heroes
  10. David Bowie - Low

I'll give them another shot. I'm slowly perusing into other genres as metal can get stale for me lately. Also need to check out Parliament.

What other funk bands do you recommend?

Just listing off some of the biggest names...

Betty Davis - Betty Davis, They Say I'm Different
Earth Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World, Spirit, All 'n All
Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting it On, Let's Take It to the Stage
Heatwave - Too Hot to Handle
Isley Brothers - Get Into Something, Harvest for the World, Go for Your Guns
James Brown - I'm honestly not a fan personally despite him being the genre's founding father, not big on long jams on a single vamp and I wouldn't know which albums to recommend, but he's obviously obligatory to explore
Ohio Players - Pleasure, Pain, Ecstasy
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Sly & The Family Stone - Stand!, There's a Riot Goin' On
Tower of Power - Bump City, Tower of Power, Urban Renewal

But it all depends on the kind of funk you like if any at all. Funkadelic had some stuff that almost bordered on metal in how riffy it was but were overall just a very experimental and creative band, early Ohio Players is quintessential party-funk, EWF is more ethereal and disco, Isley Brothers never went 100% funk and always kept their soul roots which made them the kind of stuff that gets sampled by g-funk acts, Sly & The Family Stone seems to be the one funk band most non-funk-people can get into, Tower of Power is a larger band with flashier instrumentation and a brass section, etcetc. I'd say the moods and writing styles of funk in the 70s is easily comparable to the diversity of metal in the 80s.

Floyd, Queen and Zeppelin?

Pink Floyd is crap, but sure, Queen and LZ had their moments in the 70s too. afaic though, Funkadelic is a monolith of both funk and rock music with all the breadth, depth, and impact of any of the 70s giants.

Start listening to funk, it's better than a lot of the dad rock shit that won the 75 poll
If you don't care about originality, diversity, compositional craftsmanship or lyrical quality, maybe.

Sly and Funkadelic may be exceptions in a couple of those categories, but that's not saying much for the genre.

Last edited:
If you don't care about originality, diversity, compositional craftsmanship or lyrical quality, maybe.

Sly and Funkadelic may be exceptions in a couple of those categories, but that's not saying much for the genre.

lol @ the implication that Led Zeppelin of all bands is an icon of originality. Or lyrical quality for that matter.

Funkadelic destroys most of those bands in all of those categories btw.