Golden Gods Award

wanl07

May 7, 2008
Yes, that's right, In Flames won a Metal Hammer Golden Gods award for the "best international band"! The awards were held in London where they also made a live performance.
For more info:
www.metalhammer.co.uk

So congratulations to In Flames for this award!

Yeah, I was there, it was good stuff.

In Flames played: The Mirror's Truth, Alias and Take This Life.
Other bands were CoB, Testament, Apocalyptica, and Disturbed.

side note: At the end of TTL Anders tried to back-kick the drum (no idea why) and nearly completely fell over... was hilarious :D

Yeah, I was there, it was good stuff.

In Flames played: The Mirror's Truth, Alias and Take This Life.
Other bands were CoB, Testament, Apocalyptica, and Disturbed.

side note: At the end of TTL Anders tried to back-kick the drum (no idea why) and nearly completely fell over... was hilarious :D
Any videos of this? :lol:

I haven't seen any up yet. Metal Hammer will put up some vids, but more than likely TMT rather than TTL.

Apocalyptica did nothing for me... they only played two songs but I didn't go away wanting to listen to more. Disturbed won something? If they did I missed that... all I know is they were the show 'headliners' ... who I watched from the bar (but at £4 a pint there was no way in hell I could get wasted).

Next up it’s the Spirit Of Hammer award and this year, we salute the Cavalera brothers!

Whether it’s bringing tribal influences to heavy metal, releasing the first Nu-Metal album in ‘Roots’ or putting on the most ferocious set at this year’s Download festival - the Cavalera brothers have always been pushing boundaries and raising the stakes and to see these guys on the same stage again is a true privelige that cannot be understated.

Roots is considered Nu Metal ... ?

Hmm, I suppose it is, think i got it mixed up with another album.

I really, really wouldn't consider "Roots" to be nu-metal. Nu-metal for me is stuff like linkin park, slipknot, korn etc.
Roots is more of a bit trash, with tons of tribal influences and grooves. Sure, the riffs are a bit simplistic, but hey, eeh.. lost my train of thought there

I think it's inspired by and in the same mould as Korn's stuff circa 1996, so I suppose it is nu-metal as it was back then. Saying that, I like none of Korn's material but like Roots, so... I don't know. Who gives a shit anyway? it's a good album, fuck what genre it is.

I love Incubus album S.C.I.E.N.C.E, and some people consider that nu-metal, hmmm..
yeah, good music is good music I guess.

I really, really wouldn't consider "Roots" to be nu-metal. Nu-metal for me is stuff like linkin park, slipknot, korn etc.
Roots is more of a bit trash, with tons of tribal influences and grooves. Sure, the riffs are a bit simplistic, but hey, eeh.. lost my train of thought there

It's trash indeed, not tHrash :)

Nah seriously, Roots is fucking awfull, not only cause its an nu metal, but just look what Sepultura has became, they started as a death metal band (Bestial devastation, Morbid visions) then to pure thrash untill Arise, after that; they became heavily groove influencted and sucked HARD, FUCKING HARD

the lyrics about Roots are dumb, the vocals are so hardc0re!!11

Sepultura even became much worst when Max left, atleast back then they played some classics (even when was roots was released).

Not sure you'll get too many people agree with you there buddy, I personally think the Roots album is great. ROOOTS, BLOODY ROOOTS... :D

The song Roots Bloody Roots was solid, the rest of the album was meh. I respect them for trying something different, but I don't like it.
As for the lyrics on roots, they're fine. They wrote fairly impassioned lyrics about brazil, but their english sucked, so the lyrics come off a little silly.

Don't assume I haven't.

The stuff pre-Roots is fine. I like Roots as well, it's got a nice, raw feel but it's groovy enough to jam to.

releasing the first Nu-Metal album in ‘Roots’

Errrrr...no. Didn't Roots come out around 2 years after Korn's first album? Not that it matters, but I just hate false information.

I like the Roots album, I don't get people hating on it.
No, the lyrics aren't stupid, they're singing about their roots, their heritage, and their country, Brazil. I don't get how that's stupid really.
I mean it's better than "I cum blood", "Hammered smashed face" and other shitty pathetic death metal lyrics. Damn I hate stupid death metal lyrics sometimes.

I hate Roots, but I love the title track. It's one of the best live songs ever in my opinion, great for crowd participation.