good affordable cabinet and head for metal?

if you're willing to go solid state try an old Ampeg Vh140c or a Marshall 8100/8200.
Dying Fetus uses the Ampeg and Chuck from Death used the Marshall 8100. the 8200 is a more powerful version of the 8100

Both arent made anymore and can be had for under $300 if you look hard enough.
For cabs... get a used 2x12. Unless you have to have a 4x12
Marshall, Mesa, Vader, Randall...

Thanks, Krig. Curious: What would be a comparable head to the Marshall you suggested if I can't find a used one since it is not made anymore?

Any opinion on Line 6 heads/cabs? My buddy works at guitar center and could cut me a nice deal on a package of those. But overall anything new I can get at cost through him, with this in mind would you still recommend used equipment?Thanks!

Avoid the Line 6 amps, unless it's a Vetta. They are versatile, yes, but struggle to cut through in a mix. Krigloch's suggestions are good, and I would add the Peavey XXL to that list. After gigging with tube amps for a few years, I bought a used XXL head a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. It's very versatile (three channels, three "voicings" on each, 25/50/100-watt modes, three speaker dampening modes and footswitchable effects loop) and can routinely be found for around $300. If you have a little more to spend on a head, the Carvin V3M that came out earlier this year will put you into a nice tube amp and is also very versatile. It can also be rackmounted, which is a nice option.

As far as cabs are concerned, I'm assuming you don't have a speaker preference, so size should be a major consideration. The compact 4x12 cabs from Marshall and Crate are pretty poorly constructed, so I wouldn't even bother with them. If you aren't hung up on brand names, an Avatar will probably be the best value. For full-sized 4x12 cabs, the best used prices tend to be on Peavey because there are simply so many of them available. I actually like the Peavey Sheffield speakers, although some people do not.

not sure about what compares to the 81/8200
dude, if you dig Chucks sound. (listen to some youtube vids of random kids with the Marshall)
just wait for it to come up. Either ebay, craigslist, or whatever.

my friend is selling the following:

AMP: Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100 Head. w/foot switch

Cab: PeaVey 4-12 inch Sheffield Triple xxx 16 ohms(?) Brown

for $800-1000

any thoughts?

That sounds like a pretty reasonable price, but I wouldn't value the cab at more than $250 tops. In other words, just consider what other amps are available for $550-750 before you make a decision. I've heard Marshalls sound good and bad depending heavily on the exact style of music and what guitar/pickups are being used.

Gotcha. For the record I play a ltd mh1000 deluxe with emg 81 and 85 pickups. I love chuck schuldiners tone and am glad he got it from a marshall. How does this amp compare to the 8100? I wish I knew more about specs on these to answer that myself. The amp I posted is much more expensive but does it have the same power output as the 8100? Some people in reviews r saying its not great for metal.

Thanks for all the help so far guys

I used to have a JCM 2000. It's not all that great for metal.
the JCM is an all tube amp. while the 81/8200 is a valvestate, I think it has one 12ax7 preamp tube. And I dont think that tube has much to do with tone.

what's wierd is that when I had the JCM2000 I used a Sheffield loaded Peavey cab. :lol:

lemme do some amp research when I get home from work tonight. Why style are you wanting to play?

It's tough to describe what kind of metal we play. I like to describe it as melodic death metal with clean vocals. At times in my songs it can border on power metal, where at times in the other guitarist's songs it can border on tech death riffs. We only play a half step down, and we do lots of dual guitar hamonies a la Iron Maiden. There's also a bit of thrash influence.

Any other recs on cabs besidesa avatar 4 x 12? To go with the marshall 8100? Remember my bud works ar guitar center and can get me shit at cost id be looking to spend 2-400. Thanks

Gotcha. I just get nervous becuase i riined my current spider combo amp. Been using it at shows and loud practice though so might be pushing it too hard

Try to find a used Peavey 5150. Once dialed in, those are nasty. If you like thrash, those 80's model solid state Crates (G60/G120) are great for practice and can be had for almost nothing, but need help slicing through the mix live and sound pretty bad on clean channel.

Bryant